Poplar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captinrattlehead

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
d452cce1f028d7ebc49b3e887777db5c.jpg

Just learning this is my 2 bigest tree the pine the other was a 70 foot three prong poppler just looking for advice on toping.

Got my method to skin it. 3 power lines on other side 10 feet out. Cutting in a slower fold and fall method i all ways wanted to be an arborist but I'm just a lowly stagehand I do a lot of climbing and rigging with steel for operas rock and roll concerts assists the biggest tree I've ever brought down in height I did a huge 3 prong poplar each prong was basically a 30 foot tree for 40 I couldn't cut the trunk 20 feet up I couldn't even get my arms around it on both sides I guess I started doing it today and I'll get it shaved tomorrow and keep it tight just enough for footholds not enough for it to bounce hittin fold and roll when I cut a limb but my biggest question is the topping I'm not too worried about the ground and I can chunk all day what is the best way to top kind of that size my ropes a hundred forty that I use for stadium rigging at 80- 90 feet should I have someone on a rope to top it?

My other question is can i use my Limbs on the ground as " coushin " for the trunk / chunk method. Or is it to much of a risk for flying lumber when the chunk hits the pile below at that hight?

Interesting photo and method. Hope the skinning and shaving went ok.
Some folks here might get on your case about a lack of PPE / experience............
However, I recently watched a nature documentary of a tribe in New Guinea building a communal treehouse to live in 35 meters up, just using axes and machetes. Quite inspiring, really.
Another fellow climbed a tree using just a vine for a lanyard to go get some honey. That was also very inspirational.

edit:

I have a miller Air core I'm going around the tree for my sides to lean back Then I also have my lanyard above me which is actually a real shock absorbing lanyard which I know isn't perfect but I have a fair amount of PPE as a rigger. I've taken plenty of fall prevention classes but in a scaffolding or high steel situation is completely different than in a tree

I do arena climbing actually in Madison is one of the three hardest arenas to climb in the country. so I definitely know about awkward positioning and under climbing. I've taken down well I did a lot for the Dane County Humane Society when I worked there to save the money and I took down a hundred seventy eight about 30 foot pines just me and another guy took 2 weeks. my other was that giant poplar one that went straight out in an arch 1 then went straight up over my friends garage I only did two of the three but I looked at the tree for over a year before I decided to do it other than that work in maintenance I've cut up and knock down plenty of trees do the wind damage sound like I do it for a living or anything these are just random gigs in the last 10 years

In a pint it's kind of hard to have an extra back safety line over your head with a slip knot but I thought I'd just check this form out for advice

This is a pretty good video explaining the different types of lanyard used in tree work.

Fall protection in a lot of industries has to do with shock absorption, where in tree work it is more about slack tending. A full body harness could work, it just doesn't have the attachment points for gear and it isn't nearly as comfortable to put all of your weight in.

I wish I had an address for the guy that climbs for honey. I'd either send him a hitchhiker and a bigshot or a job offer

Got my method to skin it. 3 power lines on other side 10 feet out. Cutting in a slower fold and fall method i all ways wanted to be an arborist but I'm just a lowly stagehand I do a lot of climbing and rigging with steel for operas rock and roll concerts assists the biggest tree I've ever brought down in height I did a huge 3 prong poplar each prong was basically a 30 foot tree for 40 I couldn't cut the trunk 20 feet up I couldn't even get my arms around it on both sides I guess I started doing it today and I'll get it shaved tomorrow and keep it tight just enough for footholds not enough for it to bounce hittin fold and roll when I cut a limb but my biggest question is the topping I'm not too worried about the ground and I can chunk all day what is the best way to top kind of that size my ropes a hundred forty that I use for stadium rigging at 80- 90 feet should I have someone on a rope to top it?

You say there are 3 powerlines 10feet away from the tree on the other side? Any idea if they are the primaries (they are the 3 wires on the top of the pole, usually horizontal) or secondaries (3 vertical wires part way down the pole). If they are the primaries, there is at least 7000 volts through them (240 volts in the secondaries). As a rigger in an arena, you must know the dangers of working around electricity.

Obviously we're not going to talk you out of it. So if I was you, I would climb and limb that puppy until it is really small (4-6" in diameter). Therefore, the top will be easier to manage. Tie a pull rope to it and have someone pull the top. You definitely don't want it going the other way. I wouldn't fold the top, rather have it fly away from the wires. When you are chunking it down, the first few pieces will create a crater in the soil. Aim for the same crater (obviously you'll need someone to move each block after it hits the ground).

Latest posts

Back