Poplar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You went too deep with your back cut too and cut through what little hinge wood you would of left. You lose and control that you might of had by cutting all the way through. That's a good way for the tree to sit down on your bar and pinch it for one.

BA alert.
The face cut was very clean and nicely executed. It was way too deep, however, especially for a yard tree. Once "you" put in that face, that tree was going to follow gravity. If the faller had misjudged the lean, it could have easily gone over backwards. Having the back cut sloping down at that angle generally hinders wedging, but in this case, it was more of a "strap release" than a back cut and wouldn't have mattered. In the woods, with a tree which has a clear lean, "steep and deep" is a time honored way to put trees on the ground. Not that deep, however.

So this might be a dumb question what can you put a bigger bar on a 20 inch saw that echo could I upgrade the bar?

As long as its the right mount you can put any size bar you want on it.
He's right of course. But it does not mean that the saw will have the power to pull it efficiently. I can physically mount a hitch onto a subcompact car, and hook it up to any trailer, but that would not be a good idea.

The powerhead, bar, chain, and sprocket all have to work together as a 'system'. Your owner's manual will tell you which combinations that ECHO thinks are a good idea for that saw. Some people stretch the length by using skip tooth chain, smaller sprockets (more torque, less chain speed), etc. Saw balance also comes into play.

Up to you.

Philbert

General rule is 3cc's per inch of bar. as you cut more, you'll find some situations where the increased power is needed to get the cut quick. ie: dropping limbs flat instead of tip first so they bounce, correcting bad/crooked cuts before they change directions, not binding in lesser pinch situations..... plus real production is good for the bottom line.

I run all Echo saws. the top handles get 12" bars, the small saws (370) get 16's (more for reach than cut capacity)

i-dont-always-vgmclk.jpg

Hahaha nice! The 20 inch echo I got was actually a floor model so I got it for like 300 bucks couple of nicks and scratches I don't care lasted this long. thanks for the info on the 3 cc per inch of bar.

I'm tempted to learn how to do some wedge work on that popular I was talking about I only took one limb out and then one down and it got so big there's nothing else I could do unless I wedged it and I've never done that I had a guy who said he'd help me but he was pretty old and a flake. I'll post some of those. I'm going to warn you I did a lot of it with a pole saw.

b0385b1afaf53abffe91007dd19ea79b.jpg
138dca772f4803d06a2892328b462027.jpg
6fc04c7a5d31d79e1ca4dfdaf958245f.jpg
ca0ef1756959efb87bd33255cbf95a1b.jpg
com/15/06/03/4fe1c32c77506e5988cbe7efc36e26d5.jpg[/IMG]

Maybe I'll go visit my friend and take a picture of the tree so you guys can see what I'm talking about this thing is pound ridiculous and I'm willing to bet the base of this thing is as big as of some of your guyses biggest.

I had wires underneath going to the house so I cut as far back as I could to the wires and then chunks swang it back to me to avoid the wires slow cut kind of deal.

Latest posts

Back