Poplar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Assuming we're talking aspen (trembling) it is good fast heat if your around to feed the stove and it'll quickly heat up a space but 0 coals. Mostly used for pulpwood around here but cut and split firewood is 140-200 a cord usually .

I have tons of it down or leaning in the bush I work in. I cut 100's of them out already, cut them to 32" long, split them big and stack in my covered skids. I use it for summer, fall or spring burning in my owb. I never cut any for firewood last year because I was tired of the work for the amount of heat. I bought a sawmill and have maybe 30 logs sitting there rotting (spalted) and plan to mill a bunch this year. I'll make barn boards, shelving or something like that out of it.

I have been cursed? with an abundance of poplar I need to cut. Aside from feeding it with great frequency to my boiler, has anybody found a market for it..? I'd near be reluctant to peddle it as campfire wood but I may be wrong on that.
I sell lots of bags as camp fire wood every year. Poplar and Aspen.
I sell out almost as fast as I make them up. Sold 120 bags last year and about 90 the years before that.
I cut the rounds and let them sit all year in the full sun, then split and bag them in my used wood pellet bags for $5 a bag.
Stores around me sell campfire wood for $10 a bag now. It's same size as mine but with one or two small hardwood pieces and the rest softwood.
One guy showed up last year and bought 70 bags for his resort and camp.

Poplar and cottonwood are both great for campfire wood. I run out of it every year. It takes awhile for them to dry, but once that bark falls off, its ready to split and bundle. Campers love a quick fire, easy to light, good flames, and one that won't burn all night. Also, I include about 9 logs in a bundle, and they can still lift that into the truck bed or SUV trunk. Nine oak, ash, or locust logs would be too heavy, and over half my customers are ladies.

I make bundles that are 50/50 poplar and birch. It sells well. The poplar makes for a quick burn to get things going and the birch for the long haul.

It did about 2300 bundles last year. Nothing crazy, but still $$ from about 23 cords worth of wood in my pocket.

It's much nicer to deal with than spruce too. Both on my end and on the customer end. Spruce sawdust is hell on my allergies, it doesn't split all that well and it's a pain to bundle with the sharp branch stubs. Spruce is real bad about popping and ending up burning holes in camp chairs, shirts, or even tents.

We also sell it by the log truck load, pickup truck load and by the cord. It's not as good of a seller as birch, but it still sells decently. Lot of folks just wanting wood, the cheaper the better.

Usually popular would go to people with OWB's, didn't split anything under 10-12" in. across, everything else just split in half and they either burned it in the warmer months or mixed it in with better wood. Another person who was getting wood from me for heating his shop didn't care if I mixed a little in. Or if someone needs a load of bonfire wood I save popular and basswood for that, and haven't had any issues so far.

Yes, campfire wood and small bundles. People who buy that don't care about what kind it is - they just want some ambiance or a bit of heat for an evening. The only requirement should be that it's dry. Other than that, even Sycamore would be good campfire wood.
Hmm... Sycamore comes in at about the sane as elm and even better than black ash in BTU/lb. Better than soft or red maple, I am surprised that you trashed sycamore. Just MHO. :confused:

Hate the stuff but is good camp wood. Stays green in the middle even when dry unless exposed to light for a few days. I find if I split it small it isn't green looking inside but rots quickly. Big splits keep looking green.

W

Weesa, I run my chainsaw along the length of the logs to cut the bark. Doesn't take long and seems to dry it out quicker. Seems to slow down the rotting process. I think I read it on here somewhere.

Yeah, i think it is the tulip poplar that stays green in the middle until exposed to sun...it can be bone dry but as soon as the customer sees the green they freak...

W

I heat 4800 Sq ft with a CB 5036, it sees minimal poplar for good reason. Lol

I can see it being ideal for camp wood.
We have many stands of poplar round here which is great for spring time Morels.

Latest posts

Back