Port A Wrap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think I mentioned I bought the nickel one. Well my rope is turning grey from it where I have run it through the most. I am guessing this isnt going to hurt the rope any??

Also there was talk of twisting. I have a new Dynasorb rope, and it's twisted a decent bit, but I believe it to be from the chunks spinning while descending, and not the porty.

Think I mentioned I bought the nickel one. Well my rope is turning grey from it where I have run it through the most. I am guessing this isnt going to hurt the rope any??

Also there was talk of twisting. I have a new Dynasorb rope, and it's twisted a decent bit, but I believe it to be from the chunks spinning while descending, and not the porty.

Is it maybe from the points where it "pinches" through the port? Pretty sure it's the "guts" of the rope that are twisting; can distinctly feel the location in there that it's twisting. What's up "Treecutr".

We lay out the rope to full length before it is wrapped in the portawrap to prevent tangles, snags, etc. as the rope is being run through the portawap and lowering intended objects. The process is done for each piece for safety reasons, and also gets any twists out at that time.

If there is a better way please share.

We lay out the rope to full length before it is wrapped in the portawrap to prevent tangles, snags, etc. as the rope is being run through the portawap and lowering intended objects. The process is done for each piece for safety reasons, and also gets any twists out at that time.

If there is a better way please share.

We just keep our ropes flaked into rope bags, sitting nearby where they are used. It keeps them off the ground, which prevents them being stepped on, having wood land on them, and being drug across the dirt and debris. I have seen too many groundies get wrapped up in rope laid out on the ground as they are moving brush and wood while a piece is being lowered. Based on what I've seen, I would think that laying the rope out on the ground is more of a safety risk than benefit.

We just keep our ropes flaked into rope bags, sitting nearby where they are used. It keeps them off the ground, which prevents them being stepped on, having wood land on them, and being drug across the dirt and debris. I have seen too many groundies get wrapped up in rope laid out on the ground as they are moving brush and wood while a piece is being lowered. Based on what I've seen, I would think that laying the rope out on the ground is more of a safety risk than benefit.

Spending most of my time on the ground, I have to say that the more rope that's in the bag and not on the ground, the better. Nothing more frustrating than using one hand one the rope, one hand to guide the branch or log down and then trying to figure out how to quickly get your leg unwrapped from the rope that just got tangled around it!

Spending most of my time on the ground, I have to say that the more rope that's in the bag and not on the ground, the better. Nothing more frustrating than using one hand one the rope, one hand to guide the branch or log down and then trying to figure out how to quickly get your leg unwrapped from the rope that just got tangled around it!

It's worse for those of us in the tree! We have to wait for the groundies to untangle themsleves, the brush and the tools from the ropes when they get dragged out. It seems like any time we don't enforce the "flake ropes into bags when not actually in use" rule, we end up with a rope cut, or scuffed, or someone tripping. It takes very little time to take care of the equipment properly!

It's worse for those of us in the tree! We have to wait for the groundies to untangle themsleves, the brush and the tools from the ropes when they get dragged out. It seems like any time we don't enforce the "flake ropes into bags when not actually in use" rule, we end up with a rope cut, or scuffed, or someone tripping. It takes very little time to take care of the equipment properly!

I agree 100%. Everything I wrote about the ropes on the ground is a reflection of the effort I put into trying to facilitate what is happening in the tree. I want the ground clear so I can do my job better/faster which helps me help him.

Yeah, you could, or various others. Depends on the length of your sling. Not fond of the timber hitch, but if my sling is long enough, I like a clove hitch with a half hitch, the half hitch being on top of the clove. So the half then the clove. Always works great. Never rides up the trunk is what I like and the ease of un-tying.:)
Jeff

Last edited:
I don't follow why would you have to take the jolt? I agree on the rest and so need a crane:cry:

When you take out 20 feet of a 40 foot tree? When you have to block down large blocks over the patio?
I guess I should also say that one should know how to take a jolt.

Yeah, you could, or various others. Depends on the length of your sling. Not fond of the timber hitch, but if my sling is long enough, I like a clove hitch with a half hitch, the half hitch being on top of the clove. So the half then the clove. Always works great. Never rides up the trunk is what I like and the ease of un-tying.:)
Jeff

What is your beef with the timber hitch? Just curious, i promise I won't call you names or insult your family or mail you a bomb.

With an eye I just girth it to the porty, no beener. I do use the timber hitch and cow myself.

Look at the following link:

http://www.wesspur.com/Info/portawrap-instructions.html

It's on a site sponsor's website. I would NEVER use a caribeaner to hold the Porty... it gets subjected to heavy loads and the occasional (almost always) dynamic loading. There are proper ways to use the various adjustable slings without introducing a weak link....

Edit: We usually use our adjustable Whoopie sling as is shown here:

http://www.wesspur.com/Slings/adjustable-slings.html
would a one eye sling work as well? and if so what knot?

Is it maybe from the points where it "pinches" through the port? Pretty sure it's the "guts" of the rope that are twisting; can distinctly feel the location in there that it's twisting. What's up "Treecutr".

Ok, my gound guy is freaked out that he screwed up, if you look at the directions to porty it shows right way and wrong way to run rope. if you do run it the wrong way, step 12a
http://wesspur.com/images/pdfs/601INST.pdf

It says could bind rope, does that necessarily mean it ruins the rope if done wrong. I think he may ahve done it on a couple jobs, but not sure.

Back