Port A Wrap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is your beef with the timber hitch? Just curious, i promise I won't call you names or insult your family or mail you a bomb.

With an eye I just girth it to the porty, no beener. I do use the timber hitch and cow myself.

LOL you funny bastard! (funnin) I just dont trust it with heavy loads. I dont mind using a beener for loads under 200lbs. I just see good results with a clove hitch and then a half hitch on the porty.Never climbs up and easy release.:cheers:
Jeff

Ok, my gound guy is freaked out that he screwed up, if you look at the directions to porty it shows right way and wrong way to run rope. if you do run it the wrong way, step 12a
http://wesspur.com/images/pdfs/601INST.pdf

It says could bind rope, does that necessarily mean it ruins the rope if done wrong. I think he may ahve done it on a couple jobs, but not sure.

If he did, check your rope.:)
Jeff

That is the only kind I own, so far. Tie it on with a timber or stilson hitch, as posted elsewhere.

I plan on getting a whoopie for up in the tree. It's not real convenient to adjust a timber on a big spar.

I just got an amsteel one eye sling have always used tenex which always held the knots I use a cow hitch no problems.

When you take out 20 feet of a 40 foot tree? When you have to block down large blocks over the patio?
I guess I should also say that one should know how to take a jolt.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, I prefer to take no jolts anymore my bones are getting older:monkey:
I hear ya!:cheers:
think how tired he would have been at 127 stumps which was my best day of grinding with my stumper!
What is your beef with the timber hitch? Just curious, i promise I won't call you names or insult your family or mail you a bomb.

With an eye I just girth it to the porty, no beener. I do use the timber hitch and cow myself.
I knew you liked cows:rolleyes:

If he did, check your rope.:)
Jeff

Jeff, it appears fine, there is some twisting in it, but I feel confident it's from the pieces spinning, as we had the block rigged back a ways, so the pieces on the lst job were swinning quite a bit, especially after on end sometimes hit another part of tree, but it's doens't feel like rope is damaged inside. It's Dynasorb rope, and designed to return to original shape time after time. What might I look for that I'm not already looking for?

So, can anyone answer why your still using heavy STATIC bull rope????? Dan Osman jumped 1100 feet off a cliff with nothing more than a rock climbers harness, and a less than 1/2 inch standard "DYNAMIC" climbing line that absorbed the shock. Called rope jumping. Look it up. He also jumped off many bridges, rock formations, and other high places with him, harness, and climbing line, albeit DYNAMIC. Do bungee jumpers use aircraft steel cable, or rubber bands???

Finally, the arborist outlet stores are now carrying actual DYNAMIC (shock absorbing) lowering/rigging line made specifically for taking down trees. Google Polydyne.

The first rope I bought for jobs 7 years ago when I was green was a retired DYNAMIC climbing line. Never once broke. I now use larger diameter DYNAMIC line, 1/2 inch and up.

Gee, what's going to hurt more, a rubber band, or a steel cable. Climbers fall hundreds of feet on less than 1/2 inch rope, and never has a rope broken due to overload.

GET A DYNAMIC LINE.

...Dan Osman jumped 1100 feet off a cliff with nothing more than a rock climbers harness, and a less than 1/2 inch standard "DYNAMIC" climbing line that absorbed the shock....

Dan Osman DIED doing that crap....

"Look it up."

This is a thread about using a very good tool for lowering wood, not another "Dan's The Man" thread. That stupidity has been debated here enough... use the search feature.

Dan Osman DIED doing that crap....

"Look it up."

This is a thread about using a very good tool for lowering wood, not another "Dan's The Man" thread. That stupidity has been debated here enough... use the search feature.

Not because the rope was over loaded. His lines crossed and melted the rope. That's Black Diamonds official report after examining rope.

I was just asking why static lines are even used. I personally use dynamic.

Answer.

So, can anyone answer why your still using heavy STATIC bull rope????? Dan Osman jumped 1100 feet off a cliff with nothing more than a rock climbers harness, and a less than 1/2 inch standard "DYNAMIC" climbing line that absorbed the shock. Called rope jumping. Look it up. He also jumped off many bridges, rock formations, and other high places with him, harness, and climbing line, albeit DYNAMIC. Do bungee jumpers use aircraft steel cable, or rubber bands???

Finally, the arborist outlet stores are now carrying actual DYNAMIC (shock absorbing) lowering/rigging line made specifically for taking down trees. Google Polydyne.

The first rope I bought for jobs 7 years ago when I was green was a retired DYNAMIC climbing line. Never once broke. I now use larger diameter DYNAMIC line, 1/2 inch and up.

Gee, what's going to hurt more, a rubber band, or a steel cable. Climbers fall hundreds of feet on less than 1/2 inch rope, and never has a rope broken due to overload.

GET A DYNAMIC LINE.

Dude you cannot be a tree guy and not know why Static has advantages. Dynamic and Static are applied to the work. If I gotta rig a 400lb. round of euc over a Coy Pond, At 32" dbh and chucking logs that heavy and close to the target, between homes, landscpe, etc...., Is this "the dynamic rope jump your life away" thread? I was gonna say " go back to your Rocks", but I caught myself.:)
Jeff

Dude you cannot be a tree guy and not know why Static has advantages. Dynamic and Static are applied to the work. If I gotta rig a 400lb. round of euc over a Coy Pond, At 32" dbh and chucking logs that heavy and close to the target, between homes, landscpe, etc...., Is this "the dynamic rope jump your life away" thread? I was gonna say " go back to your Rocks", but I caught myself.:)
Jeff

Well I barely made out what ya said, brush up on the English. Yeah yeah, we all know no stretch means it's not going to stretch into the roof, and of course static is best to climb on cause it doesn't absorb your energy, and for lifting too, for the same reason.

I just prefer the dynamic line for most simple stuff cause it's a shock absorber. I've read some stuff and seen youtube vids of static bull ropes of heavy gauge snapping.

I meant besides the obvious.

Well I barely made out what ya said, brush up on the English. Yeah yeah, we all know no stretch means it's not going to stretch into the roof, and of course static is best to climb on cause it doesn't absorb your energy, and for lifting too, for the same reason.

I just prefer the dynamic line for most simple stuff cause it's a shock absorber. I've read some stuff and seen youtube vids of static bull ropes of heavy gauge snapping.

I meant besides the obvious.

well how do the two compare in your experience specifically?

Well dynamic rope is a double braid, polyester jacket over a nylon core. The nylon core stretches quite a bit to mitigate shock absorption. Finally, rope companies supplying arborists are now offering dynamic ropes much like a rock climbers life line. Yale Polydyne, Husky II off of Wes Spur, Dynasorb off of Sherrill Tree. In another example, Jamie Goddard of Yale Cordage recently demonstrated on video a drop test using a 220-pound weight tethered first with dynamic (elastic) line and then with static (nonelastic) line. Tensile strength of the dynamic line was 3 tons, while the static line was 10 tons. The dynamic line arrested the weight six times without failure, while the static line snapped on the first drop. A dynamic line 1/3 the strength of a static line stopped a 220 lb weight 6 times, while the 3x stronger static rope could not stop it once. Rock climbers (such as Dan Osman) know what they are doing. Much more so than tree climbers. If any of you doubt that, just watch all of Dan Osman's videos on Youtube. Rock climbing/rope jumping is much more technical than what we do. That's why they use dynamic line for a life line, and say never should a static line be used for fall arrest, BECAUSE IT WILL SNAP. Never, in the history of rock climbing has a dynamic climbing line meant for life support snapped while arresting the fall of a human (and multiple humans). On the other hand, I can go on youtube right now and watch a video of a large diameter static bull rope snapping from being shock loaded with the tip of a branch. Sending the climber flailing on his climbing line as the limb slingshotted him. This is not the Dan Osman thread? He free climbed (without rope), up a rock face, higher than any tree grows and jumped off cliffs taller than any tree (and jumped out of trees too) with only a dynamic line (ultimately) for a life line.

well how do the two compare in your experience specifically?

I don't think we've seen an answer to that... Maybe because your experience is limited to:
I've read some stuff and seen youtube vids

This is a "Porta-Wrap" thread. One of the main points of using a porta-wrap is to minimize the shock loading on ANY ropes used for lowering. If you have missed the point of "letting it run" or don't fully uinderstand how this device operates (ie. don't own one / never used one) then arguing static vs dynamic is a moot issue.

Dan is dead... nothing will change that. Absent a good dose of common sense, he voluntarily lept from stable ground (rocks / trees / whatever) to prove he HAD balls. Any comparison of what he did to what we do is a ridiculous analogy. Our industry is hailed as "America's second deadliest job". There's no room for stupid glory rides. It adds to the negative statistics that most of us on this forum try to prevent.

I don't think we've seen an answer to that... Maybe because your experience is limited to:

This is a "Porta-Wrap" thread. One of the main points of using a porta-wrap is to minimize the shock loading on ANY ropes used for lowering. If you have missed the point of "letting it run" or don't fully uinderstand how this device operates (ie. don't own one / never used one) then arguing static vs dynamic is a moot issue.

Dan is dead... nothing will change that. Absent a good dose of common sense, he voluntarily lept from stable ground (rocks / trees / whatever) to prove he HAD balls. Any comparison of what he did to what we do is a ridiculous analogy. Our industry is hailed as "America's second deadliest job". There's no room for stupid glory rides. It adds to the negative statistics that most of us on this forum try to prevent.
so your rigging line of choice is? double or what?

Mine? Depends on the situation... but our standard "go to" line is a 3/4" Sampson StableBraid. Smaller stuff may fly on "retired" Arbormaster or 9/16 StableBraid. We carry a variety of ropes on the truck and select based on need.

Safety first....

Lone wolf, you want to be sure all your components match and are designed for our industry use and your application. The large porta-wraps are rated for 3/4" rope but that's not optimum. Their drum diameter is a little small so they will run better with lines in the 9/16" size. Porta-wraps work much better with double braids than they do with 3 strand twisted.

Static vs dynamic. Lines designed for use in arborist work have had a great deal of thought and experience incorporated into them. They are not true static and they are not true dynamic. There are variances, as pointed out, in the amount of stretch but technique will have the most impact on the successful use of these products.

Dave

Lone wolf, you want to be sure all your components match and are designed for our industry use and your application. The large porta-wraps are rated for 3/4" rope but that's not optimum. Their drum diameter is a little small so they will run better with lines in the 9/16" size. Porta-wraps work much better with double braids than they do with 3 strand twisted.

Static vs dynamic. Lines designed for use in arborist work have had a great deal of thought and experience incorporated into them. They are not true static and they are not true dynamic. There are variances, as pointed out, in the amount of stretch but technique will have the most impact on the successful use of these products.

Dave
I have the large porta wrap and use 1/2 double braid nothing super heavy 500 lbs or so.

Back