Port A Wrap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lone wolf, you want to be sure all your components match and are designed for our industry use and your application. The large porta-wraps are rated for 3/4" rope but that's not optimum. Their drum diameter is a little small so they will run better with lines in the 9/16" size. Porta-wraps work much better with double braids than they do with 3 strand twisted.

Agreed! Our 5/8" runs better through it, but we have a lot less worker fatigue manning the larger 3/4" and taking same size pieces as if we were using a smaller rope. The larger rope just fits the hand more comfortably.

Dan osman

Dan didnt use dynamic line he use static and used a grigri with aprox 20 feet of slack as a friction device to slow himself down the only dynamic line that was used was in the anchors of his system, dynamic line has a really good place in fall protection for climbers that is what it is designed for, its not made to take a big hits and recover time and time again, If i take a big fall on lead i mean anything with more then 30 feet of drop i retire a rope and all the gear that saved my life its not worth the risk of reusing.

as for the portawrap i have one that i have used a few times in the tree and quite a bit on the ground, my ground guy is a rock climber like myself who is also interested in trees and he has no problem letting wood run however we buy no means take 20' of wood at a time with ours, its seems a fools errand to put yourself at that kind of risk when a big shockload could uproot the tree your in or worse break off the bole

Tom

Dan didnt use dynamic line he use static and used a grigri with aprox 20 feet of slack as a friction device to slow himself down the only dynamic line that was used was in the anchors of his system, dynamic line has a really good place in fall protection for climbers that is what it is designed for, its not made to take a big hits and recover time and time again, If i take a big fall on lead i mean anything with more then 30 feet of drop i retire a rope and all the gear that saved my life its not worth the risk of reusing.

as for the portawrap i have one that i have used a few times in the tree and quite a bit on the ground, my ground guy is a rock climber like myself who is also interested in trees and he has no problem letting wood run however we buy no means take 20' of wood at a time with ours, its seems a fools errand to put yourself at that kind of risk when a big shockload could uproot the tree your in or worse break off the bole

Tom

Your kidding right? He used 10.5 mm dynamic (high elongation, i.e. stretch) nylon Kernmantle rock climbing line, knotted to a rock climbing harness modified to full body harness.

Here's a vid of Dan with the line knotted to harness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5olx81kcr9w

The modern sport of Rock Climbing makes extensive use of so called "dynamic" rope, which is designed to stretch under load in an elastic manner in order to absorb the energy required to arrest a person in free fall without generating forces high enough to injure them. Such ropes normally use a Kernmantle construction, as described below. "Static" ropes, used for example in caving, rappelling, and rescue applications, are designed for minimal stretch; they are not designed to arrest free falls.

Back