porting a husky 350...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have literally cut 3 cookies with it so far, that's it. Maybe I'll work w/ it a bit and see what flies. I have a bunch of other 350's and none hang w/ my 455's like this one. So it can't be all bad. That said, I am listening.... you guys know your stuff and I don't mean any disrespect. I just wanted to play around a bit and see what a light mod would do....without a degree wheel and marking up a cylinder etc. Personally this IS good enough for me, but if you think I can do better, I'm game.

old cat, I don't have a dyno, degree wheel, or ambition to mess with either.... at least not now. I was interested to see what could be done without that stuff. so far so good. I have a bunch of other 350's sitting ... so I'll pull a flywheel and see what happens when I get some time.

I'm sorry but I don't agree. The ONLY way to get max power is dyno tuning. I've read a lot from dyno operators.

I never said anything about max power......or anything of the sort. I simply said it wasn't TOO high if it wasn't spitting a little in the cut. You've been dyno tuning your saws now have you? :laugh:

ridge beam before rafters.... most of the "ceiling" 2nd floor stuff you see is temporary, there is a central upright w/ beams coming off it to hold all 4 sides together, and no, I wouldn't challenge you guys on your knowledge, just describing how I did it...

If you use an OEM 346 cylinder or the AM wannabe, that looks fine. BUT if you want to use a 45mm 350/353 cylinder, that's a waste of time, maybe even lost power.

I'm almost positive the best cylinder for power without going oem 346 big money is the 45mm 350 cylinder.
My latest one just absolutely RIPS!!! Better than the AM kits I built.

interesting... well... I did same thing for my 45mm cyl ... got one on the bench right now....we'll see how much power down.... actually based on the shape of the 45mm cylinder .... almost makes sense to tig weld a bead on the base adapter to guide flow better.... and get rid of the partition...

well, the am 346xp lookalike started beautiful, and restarts like a dream... haven't tried it in wood yet.

i gotta machine another 10thou off the 45mm one and then the squish will be optimized... i'll post results after..... even if I took too much off the base adapter.... cheap to get new and swap it :)

One of the problems is that there are no "guides" on porting a husky 350 .... ie, what to cut where and when, and what not to... far as I can see its all experimentation, and for me, if the saw runs, odds are I'm not tearing it apart AGAIN to redo something I suspect to be losing 1% of the power.... far as I can see, at this point, its more intuition than science, but then again, i'm just doing some light port work, and checking squish, nothing fancy.

Latest posts

Back