porting a husky 350...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last year Jack (Hotsaws101) hit 15K in the wood.

Respect

Few others have gotten there too

Widening the transfer ports will make a difference too. More volume of flow. Not sure wether to move the transfers up or down, move them wider. Good move.

How about going up one pin in the rim/drum? Dropping your rakers a tad? Open up the gullet?

Could using 3/8” chain over 325” chain slow it down?

I like 13.8 to 14k myself for wide open no load 4 stroking. But I don't have a tac yet lol. Sometimes I use one at the gtgs and find out where my saws are.

What’s the gain in porting with it being 14,000 rpm stock? Just wondering? On thought Is time wise when going from idle to max full rpm is much faster if the max rpm isn’t changing. To me I’m looking for 15,000+ rpm at least. Maybe more fuel is needed?

Example,
I ported a 396/325 hp installed the 375 hp valve train and had over 400hp at the crank and 300hp at the rear wheels on the full body dyno. My max shift points were 6,700 rpm. Using the smaller oval port heads. I modified the intake, ported heads, matched ported headers, advanced the total timing. There has to be a gain in porting/tuning somewhere.?

The biggest difference I see when I port the dirtbikes. The 125 cr’s the power band is moved more to the top, pulls harder. Less power on the bottom/mid. It’s all screamer. It’s noticeable.

What’s the gain in porting with it being 14,000 rpm stock? Just wondering? On thought Is time wise when going from idle to max full rpm is much faster if the max rpm isn’t changing. To me I’m looking for 15,000+ rpm at least. Maybe more fuel is needed?

Example,
I ported a 396/325 hp installed the 375 hp valve train and had over 400hp at the crank and 300hp at the rear wheels on the full body dyno. My max shift points were 6,700 rpm. Using the smaller oval port heads. I modified the intake, ported heads, matched ported headers, advanced the total timing. There has to be a gain in porting/tuning somewhere.?

The biggest difference I see when I port the dirtbikes. The 125 cr’s the power band is moved more to the top, pulls harder. Less power on the bottom/mid. It’s all screamer. It’s noticeable.

it depends on the saw and what it needs. Need torque need more rev? That changes how to modify the saw. wot means little to do with the saws performance under load. You see jackjobs mention or show tachs at 16-17k so what. Yes if you want a limbing saw that can be beneficial. Most of the time people want more power for bucking. What matters is the rpm in the wood or underload. If a saw turns 13.5-14k. It’s probably enough speed for limbing. An example of rpm being a problem is the echo 590 when stock. So a mod would want to find more free rpm. The saw has gobs of torque stock.

A husky 242 or 42 may have plenty of speed but maybe we want more power for bucking cuts. We are willing to have 14.7k to have more power.
The 346 makes enough speed. What benefit is more speed? What we want is 14-14.5k free rev and move the peak power from 9600 to 10.5-11.5 k in the cut.

it depends on the saw and what it needs. Need torque need more rev? That changes how to modify the saw. wot means little to do with the saws performance under load. You see jackjobs mention or show tachs at 16-17k so what. Yes if you want a limbing saw that can be beneficial. Most of the time people want more power for bucking. What matters is the rpm in the wood or underload. If a saw turns 13.5-14k. It’s probably enough speed for limbing. An example of rpm being a problem is the echo 590 when stock. So a mod would want to find more free rpm. The saw has gobs of torque stock.

A husky 242 or 42 may have plenty of speed but maybe we want more power for bucking cuts. We are willing to have 14.7k to have more power.
The 346 makes enough speed. What benefit is more speed? What we want is 14-14.5k free rev and move the peak power from 9600 to 10.5-11.5 k in the cut.
That’s pretty much my mantra.

Get out of my head!

My 70’s Husqvarna 240sg professional ripped I don’t know the specs on it. The gov I plugged, added one pin to the rim(8 pins) ran 325 LP chain. Quick cutting little saw. If my 350 or 346 cuts faster I’m impressed.

Speed we can never have enough speed.

Back