Porting gear?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is my little Dremel setup, I did order in a cheap momentary foot switch for it. I would have used a sewing machine foot pedal to get speed control but I run it at low speed anyway. It's 5k-30K.
dt.jpg

Here is my little Dremel setup, I did order in a cheap momentary foot switch for it. I would have used a sewing machine foot pedal to get speed control but I run it at low speed anyway. It's 5k-30K.
View attachment 776418
That’s basically the setup I use to use. Nothing wrong with that. Only reason I switched to a flex shaft was to use different size hand pieces and the 90 degree one.

One thing I wish I had right now is a motor that could run in both directions. I’ll get one eventually

Not sure if they will do it or not, have you tried the drill trick to see if it will spin in reverse? Like they do with the chain grinders.

I looked at the HF model and it's nothing like the grinder I have. I know a lot of people that have used the HF motor for years. There is also a 3000 rpm difference.

I found a used foredom on Craigslist for cheap. Was definitely a you suck kinda deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Did you buy it? I need to jump on this wagon.

Yes, this was a long time ago. Interesting story, when I noticed it on Craigslist it had been posted for several days. I Assumed it must’ve sold cause it was so cheap. Called the guy anyways but he posted the wrong number and person that answered said he received a ton of calls about this “foredom”. I changed the last digit in the phone number assuming he made a typo and got the foredom. I told the seller his mistake, he laughed and was wondering why he got no calls about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That’s basically the setup I use to use. Nothing wrong with that. Only reason I switched to a flex shaft was to use different size hand pieces and the 90 degree one.

One thing I wish I had right now is a motor that could run in both directions. I’ll get one eventually
Who made the 90 degree piece you have?

The reason I asked is because it sounded like you are using Dremel and I was under the impression you cannot drive a 90 degree CC hand piece with a Dremel flex shaft. Maybe when you said you switched to a flex shaft you meant Foredom?

I'm trying to figure this out because I need to know what to ask Santa for... I have a Dremel but if I cant use the 90 degree piece then I want to get a Foredom.

Foredom is a brand that makes rotary flex shaft tools. You’ll need a Foredom style motor and flex shaft to run the cc 90 piece. I don’t see any reason why a company couldn’t make a flex shaft for a dremel that could use removable hand pieces. The one I started with was a HF dremel with a China flex shaft but it only had one collar type hand piece built into it that would only except 1/8” bits.

Ebay has some deals compared to Foredom's site. Even used is fine, I dont care for the full prices I've seen. Its outrageous.

Ebay has this one under $100. And I have a 10% off coupon right now. Might be my best best. Screenshot_20191208-123120_eBay.jpg

thats a pretty good price, i think thats a reversible motor which is cool. i have the HF flex shaft and it works great, just gotta get used to how to reduce chatter

the handpiece that comes with the hf motor is junk, but theres a guy on another site that occasionally sells some modified chinese handpieces for really reasonable price. i have 5 of them i think, much nicer to just have the 4-5 most used burrs loaded and just switch handpieces.

That's a knock off foredom. No way anyone would sell a genuine one for that price. No clue if thats a good buy or not. Im right with cus deluxe. HF motor but I have a 1/4" chuck piece from Skarr which he sells for cheap, detail sized piece from wood carvers, and the expensive cc 90 degree piece. The ebay knock offs could be just as good as the HF...???

I got one of these for the transfers it's a little big.
upload_2019-12-8_15-44-24.png

and one of these with some of the tiny latch burs. At first I cut down some burs for it but he gears stripped out real fast.

upload_2019-12-8_15-42-38.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-12-8_15-33-40.png
    upload_2019-12-8_15-33-40.png
    418.9 KB · Views: 5
  • upload_2019-12-8_15-39-23.png
    upload_2019-12-8_15-39-23.png
    487.3 KB · Views: 6
Back