porting the 044. what to do with intake and exhaust port

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
intake is weird comes down and to side at weird angle
attachment.php

exahust is kinda straight forward widen alittler and smooth and polish. maybe this one ill widen at the cylinder wall and just blend back to muffler mounting point
attachment.php

thanks for the replies

Evan

ahhhhhhhhhh i see im on my own for this one.

pics of exhaust and intake after porting.???? please maybe.

k ill just run the darned thing stock.:clap:

No point in widening the flange if you don't widen at the cylinder wall. Bottom line is WIDE. Max 70% of piston diameter. Up to that max, go as wide as skirt width and ring end pin location will allow.

Do not raise the exhaust port. Even if you lower the cylinder for a tighter squish. Your're after compression any way. Plus you get to keep the factory bevel and not brake the NiSi plating there. Of course there are times when you want to change port timing or have a poor port shape you need to improve.

Never lower the exhaust floor or raise the intake roof!!

When you get brave enough, widen the rear upper transfers back towards the intake, angling them so that they point right back to the rear of the cylinder. You're thereby increasing port area and improving scavanging.

It doesn't take monumental changes to make a whole new animal out of it.

Last edited:
I just did a basic job on my first two. I just widened the last one, didn't raise at all. I was going for torque anyway. I didn't do anything to the intake besides smooth it out, getting rid of the casting marks, and I opened up the transfers some. I need a smaller 90deg grinder to get to the upper part of the transfers.

thank you very much for the reply.

i will widen some. im just gona grind till i think it looks good and call it good. i just ground till it looked good on my 359 twice. think it might have a 3rd time comeing when i get bored

i have the cylinder here and man im lookin at the upper tranfer and ill leave it alone i can see me accidntly getn the cylinder wall. need little 45deg angle grinder it looks like

thank you again for the reply

thanks

Evan

thank you very much for the reply.

i will widen some. im just gona grind till i think it looks good and call it good. i just ground till it looked good on my 359 twice. think it might have a 3rd time comeing when i get bored

i have the cylinder here and man im lookin at the upper tranfer and ill leave it alone i can see me accidntly getn the cylinder wall. need little 45deg angle grinder it looks like

thank you again for the reply

thanks

Evan

Just make sure not to go too wide, I've been doing it in stages, sliding the cylinder on and checking skirt clearance.

Just make sure not to go too wide, I've been doing it in stages, sliding the cylinder on and checking skirt clearance.

Mark the port on the piston skirt before disassembly. Do your measuring and lay it out on the cylinder wall with tape before you start. Then there's no guessing. Some guys have other methods. Do what works for you.

Mark the port on the piston skirt before disassembly. Do your measuring and lay it out on the cylinder wall with tape before you start. Then there's no guessing. Some guys have other methods. Do what works for you.

Ya, I just go slow right now. I tried your tape method before, I didn't have much luck, I just couldn't seem to cut and measure the tape accurately? Any tips for me, I'd love to not have to put the cylinder on 12 freakin times in a port job.

parisw, blnselling

thank you guys for info. ill try the tape methad and markeing the port on the piston sounds like a very good idea. ill for sure do that so i know how much wider i went.

thanks

Evan

parisw, blnselling

thank you guys for info. ill try the tape methad and markeing the port on the piston sounds like a very good idea. ill for sure do that so i know how much wider i went.

thanks

Evan

I've been going to .100" to skirt edge, that leaves a little wiggle room. And I've been using a tip Brad gave me was to go the last little bit with a chainsaw file. Works real well. I then polish after.

thanks

chainsaw file sounds like a very good tip

On the transfers i been useing a dremel type grinder with the little cut-off wheels, just stack 2 or 3 together. You will still have an angle on the cut but thats the way i been doing it.

im gona try it im headed out to stack some cutters and hack this little buger all to heeeeeeee

well i did the transfers.
found neat little grinder in my dremel set that fit right in

attachment.php

yeah i got alittle happy with the grinder

attachment.php

exhaust is next.

think ill leave the funky intake port alone.

i figured i was safe staying about even ith the lower transfer. think i should try for more or call it good?. both those transfers took all of 20 minutes is all.

i thought youd say i took out to much.

intake scares me because its comeing in off center and dropn alot out of the carb.

well see what happens

thanks for the great tips

decided i didnt need to know what stock 044 is like. and i was scared the 359 would make it look bad

Latest posts

Back