porting the 044. what to do with intake and exhaust port

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before
335332649_y4CwS-M.jpg

After
336215924_UEaeV-M.jpg

Do not take it out "into" the bottom flange. Just taper it to it. You really wouldn't even have to go that far. Just remove the lip often found at the bottom of the transfer and taper it a little to promote flow.

dang

seems alot could come out there. that would make the carbide bur very worth while. should i do it or call mine good for now till i runn it.?

what cylinder is that? that factory upper an lower transfer are already even on the intake side. on my 044 the upper wasnt as wide on the intake side.

thats my pick, that must be exhaust side were the transfer are even.,

i just went back and looked, thats not my pic, my 044 was narrower on both ends compared to lower transfer. its now even on the intake side the lower is wider than upper on exhaust side.

i think i will blend the lower today, we were going to pour asphalt but weather cruddy so ill be home all day with no kids so i mysell do it.

i think ill blend and leave some of the cylinder wall intack for support.

thanks

Evan

Last edited:
ported and stock pics

updated porting from factory compared to my blended transfer

stock transfer blended towards intake
attachment.php

transfer i blended towards intake

attachment.php

exhaust side of cylinder. think the camera gave it the oblong shape.
attachment.php

Just checking in to see if anyone else is using cutting burrs and diamond wheels to do porting with? Its what I am currently using on an air die grinder and flex shaft, the diamond cutting wheel made working the upper transfers real easy.
Pioneerguy600

I use a double-cut burr for most of my porting, then square it all up with a file. A small cut-off wheel works very nicely for widening the transfers. I use different size wheels for smaller and larger ports. I use a round stone to bevel with.

Porting from a 500GP bike, 200 horses from 500cc = 20 horses from 50cc... yep a 20 HP 346XP would be fun :cool:

jmn.jpg

I use a double-cut burr for most of my porting, then square it all up with a file. A small cut-off wheel works very nicely for widening the transfers. I use different size wheels for smaller and larger ports. I use a round stone to bevel with.

Ok, sounds that I am on the right tract using carbide double cut burs that leaves a nearly polished surface and a diamond coated cutoff wheel that does not clog up with aluminum.
Pioneerguy600

I cut the port to shape with the burr and then go over it with a file to make it all flat. That also smooths it up some more. I then have a piece of 1/4" aluminum rod in my die grinder with a slot cut in it 1" long. I then wrap 1" wide emery cloth aroud it in 320 and then 400 grit for the final finish on the exhaust port. The intake I leave with the burr finish.

I cut the port to shape with the burr and then go over it with a file to make it all flat. That also smooths it up some more. I then have a piece of 1/4" aluminum rod in my die grinder with a slot cut in it 1" long. I then wrap 1" wide emery cloth aroud it in 320 and then 400 grit for the final finish on the exhaust port. The intake I leave with the burr finish.

damn, seems like you've learned a lot since I last talked to you. I'm glad that you aren't stingy with the information and willing to help guys out that want to work on their own saws.

:cheers:

pssst, were you around when the last guy that admitted using a flat file for porting? lol.

project is going good. i need walboro carb now to replace the zama. i cant get tuned, ive been through two zama carbs cleaning them out the best i know how, complete carb tear downs and putback together. both carbs been sitn for many years. neither carb brings the H side in.

044 has the stock cylinder on it now, i lucked out and got a 044 10mm with a sharp top end pushn 165lb of compression. so now ive got stock top end and ported one, ill swap to ported one ounce i get it running like it should

084 is comeing along though im not done porting and the piston showed up yesterday, the 084 still needs the exhaust widend and do some chamfering, probly work on he piston windows just enough to knock down the casting lines. and blen from the inside out alittle bit.

i also use a flat file to knock the exhaust port flat. another thing ive found is the 3/8 chain file grinder for the power grinders works very well in the dremel, its kinda like a long rasp to knock the ports nice and flat before useing the hand file.

ive learned alot in the last few months . enough so the 359 is nagging port me again you know theres more gains to be had.

but im in the bad time of the year for projects this week ive been wokn 6:30am to 8;30pm. im bout tired of it already but i guess i gotta start makn up for not workn much at all over the winter. so you guys wont be putn up with me quite as often as you used to have to.

anyways im off to work for hopefully a nice easy early off day. no one should have to work close to 70hrs in 5 days

thanks

Evan

should be able to.

my 359 is ported like this and the stock carb provides enough fuel. carb is set way richers after porting compared to stock

Latest posts

Back