POS Mccullogh not getting gas...even in primer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad Burnette

Muzzy17is
Reaction score
I have a Mccullogh saw that I am working on but can't get I to get fuel. The primer will not suck gas into the ball. I have replaced the fuel lines and put in a new small fuel filter in the tank as well as a new primer bulb. What's next?

Yeah this one I have is a 3216, has good spark and compression just not wanting to get fuel. I even tried switching the fuel lines but I may give it one more try. I'm having a yard sale this weekend and gonna see if I can get anything out of it as is if not I'll tinker with it some more. I only have $10.00 in this one and a homelite. Homelite started on 3rd pull, adjusted low on carb a little and it runs good. I'll be happy to get anything out of the Mccollugh to be honest. I'd rather invest my money to my piggy bank and find me a good running Husky or Stihl.

Take a gander at this link about how to test (analyze) primer bulb fuel systems and yes about them POS chainsaws.
They are very good to keep around as loaners, but don't loan one of them POS saws to a good friend, he will no longer be your friend when he figures out what you have done to him.;) (just kidding)

How to determine proper fuel line routing on a primer bulb carb system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCC1qO75zDk

When connected properly and the external fuel lines are good and plumbed correctly the primer should suck fuel thru the carb not push fuel to the carb.

The last time I loaned out my Mac 3516 it was dropped from a tree and returned with a bent bar, burned out chain, and out of bar oil. Chain brake was broken off. Luckily I had a parted out saw with enough replacement parts to repair it. The engine still runs OK and the oiler still works. So, I guess I can still loan it out again, but not to those guys.

You have way more patience than I do, those things were a dime a dozen a few years back because they rarely worked right when new and are a pain to work on. Too much plastic for my tastes, but if it runs, it does make a good loaner.:cool:
I think I dropped a "whopping" $75 for it back in '94, mail order. It always starts and runs as long as the fuel lines and primer are intact. One time a bolt holding the oil pump on came loose and jammed the flywheel. I thought at first the piston was locked up. If OP replaces the fuel lines, he might as well replace the oiler line underneath while he has the saw apart. That line gives up the same way.

One of my buddies out in Connecticut has a 3514 and I told him to throw it away and buy a Stihl, Echo, or Husky. He refused and fixed his with some fuel line that I mailed to him. He says CT has lots of rainy days for such repair work.

How much to send it to me?? I am serious! thanks; sonny580
If you are talking about the Tygon fuel line, you can buy it on E-bay for only a few dollars. Look for I.D 3/32” x O.D 3/16” /2.5mm x5mm Part # 6617. I think I bought mine from Global Trading. Took about 16 days to arrive. I've fixed several saws with it.

Not sure if that carb has a nozzle check valve in the main jet, but if it has and is stuck open (happens a lot with fuel containing alcohol), the bulb will be sucking air through it rather then fuel up through the carb.

Latest posts

Back