pos Stihl MS 201T

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve got four toppers in my truck, two 200 t’s and two 201 tcm’s, and they’re all giving me various difficulties. Choked out, oilers not working, blah, blah, blah. I feel like lining them all up and driving over them at 80.

Just got in a Stihl 192T with about four years on it. The climber's belt clip tore out the entire bottom of the saw and weakened the case so that it sprays fuel all over the place. These belt clips are a trash and designed to break and fall apart.

The Echo CS330T and the old Echo CS340 and CS3400 clips are built much stronger and never break. Then Echo made the belt clips for the new CS355T about the same as the Stihl top handle saws. The Stihl belt clips remain weak and worse. I suspect Stihl top handle chain saw engineers have never climbed a tree with a top handle saw hanging alongside.

They've never gassed up a saw either or they would go back to the regular filler caps. I've never had any trouble out of any of my top handle belt clips. I bought the 355T a couple of years ago and it's been a great saw. I'm currently trying to decide between the MS 150 or the CS 2511T.

They've never gassed up a saw either or they would go back to the regular filler caps. I've never had any trouble out of any of my top handle belt clips. I bought the 355T a couple of years ago and it's been a great saw. I'm currently trying to decide between the MS 150 or the CS 2511T.

The 2511T is fantastic, I have had mine a year now and its been faultless.

The latest Stihl 200T to arrive in my shop suffered from a broken annular buffer. Climbers break them so frequently that I have to keep several on hand. Whenever they do, about the only thing left holding the handle to the saw is the intake manifold boot. This one was ripped completely apart. Others have been cracked slightly but regardless, that shuts down the engine. Replacing the annular buffer is a snap, but replacing that intake manifold boot is a PITA.

A chunk of the tank housing bottom was also broken off. I guess climbers love to beat these saws up and don't seem to have much trouble doing it.

A 201tcm with propper MM and timing advance will have more torque than a 200t and almost as much chain speed. They're pretty good saws once you learn their quirks. The 201tc's are also good. My daily climber and removal saw is a modded 201tc and it out performs all our other saws (with the occasional carb adjustment).

I tore 3 200t's down this month for various old saw problems. These saws are 20 years old. The 200t is a great saw, but it's sun is setting. At least until the Chinese start producing clones in volume.

That leaves us with a lot of 201t's. I came into tree work when 201's were new and everyone trash talked them. But that's what my boss put in my hand, so I learned how to use it and make it scream. Now the sprocket cover is half gone and the saw is so coated in grime that the labels are just unreadable crud spots.

But my boss now uses my saw instead of his personal 200t. It's just better. He also uses a CS 2511t and loves it. That's the future I suppose.

Here's a new Stihl MS 201T complaint from a climber that uses his regularly. Apparently it smokes underneath when he shuts it off. Looks like bar oil is leaking somewhere and reaching the crankcase or muffler, both of which are hot enough to create the smoke. So, he watches smoke from the saw as he climbs down with the engine shut off.

Any idea what part(s) needs to be replaced to fix this problem?

Make sure the fins are clean on the cylinder. The plastics around the clutch can melt and let more oil fly back onto the muffler. Sometimes turning down the oiler a little will cause less spray. The oiler could also be leaking at the tank exit or from the pump itself.
Sometimes the crank seal will leak fuel, but the saw usually barely runs if that's happening. Tank leaks can also get on the muffler and cause smoke.

Agree'd - pull the starter and bar covers off and ensure that the fins around the cylinder area are all nice and clean. Inspect the area around the muffler, look for melting plastic, etc.

I own and operate a small engine repair shop (non stihl dealer) in VA and 201s seem to be fine saws just cheaply constructed...their top handles, starter covers and fuel tanks are all weak spots for sure. Ive done 4 tanks alone since this January - one of them being for an arborist of over 30 years, said he climbed the tree, came down and went to put the saw away and noticed fuel leaking. From hanging at his sides and contacting the tree it cracked the units tank. All in all they just dont seem to be as rugged as the 200 was.

The tank is definitely a weak point and the repair has a high price tag. The Mtronic are even more spendy when something breaks. The coil and carb are both over $100 from Stihl. The Solenoid alone is $60 at my dealer!

The 200t clone kits are now available if you would rather go that route.

Farmertec/hutzl makes a complete aftermarket parts kit. Basically a whole saw unassembled. It's definitely patent infringement chinese junk, but it's a whole 200t for $250. The verdict is still out on what parts will need subbed with OEM.

Ive seen complete clone 460's and 660's - both were complete junk. The 660 was leaking oil - the port where the oil line fit was machined too large and the line would not seal. I felt bad for the owner...they bought it "brand new" from a guy for $800, didn't even realize it was a clone.

Been running a 201tcm almost 4 years heavy full time use, 1 spark plug, 1 air filter are the only things I had to replace , however the handle is junk plastic for sure , it took a light hit from the tip of some madrone twigs and I had to replace 2 of the throttle rods or whatever they are called, was easy enough to do though I think 20$ or so but now other areas of the handle are deteriorating and that hunk of plastic ain't cheap for the real deal.

My boss runs a 200t, has been for 5-6years and hasn't had any major problems it does currently need a new carb and muffler, he's probably going the Chinese route due to price, will come down to ground and file chain before using my 201tcm with razors on it

Almost forgot about the annular buffer had to get a new one about 3 months ago and it also bogs down or shuts off when going into a cut(usually at worst possible time) if I don't feather throttle in between cuts, which in my opinion is a serious safety issue. I do feel like my 201tcm is on its last good run though and due to carpal tunnel issues will have to be switching to a lighter, less powerful saw, either a shindaiwa/echo or ms 150, not sure yet.
I have cs-590 that I use for things that chainsaws shouldn't be used for and occasionally climb with, it's a beast, heavy but it takes serious abuse, fires on 2-3 pulls every time and destroys super hard madrone,myrtle, tan oak etc with a 20"bar full skip chain&sported muffler ...used a 193t for a while and wasn't impressed with the power-weight ratio so I'm leaning towards the 27ccecho

Been running a 201tcm almost 4 years heavy full time use, 1 spark plug, 1 air filter are the only things I had to replace , however the handle is junk plastic for sure , it took a light hit from the tip of some madrone twigs and I had to replace 2 of the throttle rods or whatever they are called, was easy enough to do though I think 20$ or so but now other areas of the handle are deteriorating and that hunk of plastic ain't cheap for the real deal.

My boss runs a 200t, has been for 5-6years and hasn't had any major problems it does currently need a new carb and muffler, he's probably going the Chinese route due to price, will come down to ground and file chain before using my 201tcm with razors on it

The chinese muffler is fine, but the carb is junk. As far as I can tell the handle on the 200t and 201t are the same plastic. The AV is a little better on the 201t and can handle a little more abuse. Both saws benefit from a 5/8 hole in the muffler.
The 150t or 2511t are really nice, you should get one. The echo is great for limbing, the stihl for delicate pruning. Both do better with muffler mods and delimited carbs. The 2511t beats out the 193t. More durable, lighter (lots) and almost as powerful.

Back