• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Positive vibes.Someone who keeps their word.

dive_hive

dive_hive

ArboristSite Lurker
Just had something nice happen, don't have anyone else to share it with.
I had to visit my truck/tractor mechanic. Of course I'm already seeing dollar signs, the $175 tow bill being first. As far as I know, the man has never wronged me or anyone else, and if he shakes your hand and gives you his word, by god, you know he's going to keep it. That's rare in my world. He's just a good ole down home plain as day mechanic. I always thought we had a good working relationship. My crap breaks down, he fixes it (correctly I might add) for a fair price, will even have one of his employees drop off a vehicle if you can't make it there, at no extra cost. When my dodge ram wouldn't start the other day, I dropped by his shop to see if he could make me an appointment so he could look at it. He asked me what was wrong it and I told him. He said it was most likely a throttle position sensor, and he was sure I could replace it myself, I just wouldn't like the price of the sensor. He said he thought he was right, but because the sensor was $500+ and I wouldn't be able to return it if he WAS WRONG, he let me borrow his fancy schmancy $5,000+ snap-on computer diagnostic tablet thinga-ma-jig. He even walked me through how to connect it and the correct procedure on the thing to test it. Who loans that kinda stuff out!? I didn't cry poor me, or ask to use it. He just offered it. Like I said, I thought we had a good working relationship, but he's definitely now on the friendship level in my book. I've always shown my gratitude and appreciation for his work by throwing him some extra honey from my hives, apple butter during canning season, fresh baked bread, or a suitcase of beer every once in a while. Guess it pays off. There still are decent people. At the risk of sounding like Dr. Phil, do ya'll have someone you can trust and count on in your lives?

CentaurG2

CentaurG2

Addicted to ArboristSite
Not too many independents left around here that I would trust to work on newer vehicles. Most left only want to do easy work like oil changes and breaks. The prices they charge, you might as well take it to a dealership. They like to use aftermarket parts and charge you like they are OEM.

dive_hive

dive_hive

ArboristSite Lurker
Yes, a few places and a few people.

The fact that he lent it to you says he also trusts you. I’m hesitant to loan things but I do to a few people.
I too hesitate on occasion loaning something out. I figure it's like loaning money to friends, I never truly expect to get it back, but am pleasantly surprised if I do. Some loans become gifts, and you learn not to gift anymore.

dive_hive

dive_hive

ArboristSite Lurker
Not too many independents left around here that I would trust to work on newer vehicles. Most left only want to do easy work like oil changes and breaks. The prices they charge, you might as well take it to a dealership. They like to use aftermarket parts and charge you like they are OEM.
Independents outnumber dealerships and "chain" types probably 20:1. (Southern Missouri) I don't know how "new" new IS, but everything I own rangeS from '47 to 2004. It might nickel and dime me, but it's sure easier than a lease or a payment. My mechanic buys from the same parts house as I do, and the price on the itemized bill is the same as it would be if I called to buy it myself. He also know his customer base pretty well. If you want the $25 house brand u-joint instead of the $75 dollar moog or spicer, that's what you're gonna get. Or if you want to order off rockauto or wherever and bring it to him, that's fine too, he's just not going to warranty the part if he didn't buy it. Good enough for me. The only thing he doesn't do is rebuilds. He's not a dedicated engine or tranny shop. He doesn't have the machine shop capability. I don't have any particular problem with dealership necessarily, I just too far away from one. I live the majority of my life in about 15 sq. miles, I better have a pretty good darn reason to go past it. Unless I'm on my Harley, but that doesn't count :)

CentaurG2

CentaurG2

Addicted to ArboristSite
Yea anything from 2004 is pretty much a memory here. My three cars are from 2017, 18 and 19. You would be surprised at how much more technology is in the 2019 vs the 2017. You need to bring things to the dealership every now and again just for the software upgrades. I am not sure if I love the new tech but it does make for a safer commute. Just got the newer honda accord back from the dealer for a recall repair. They gave me a 2020 loaner accord. Almost a different car tech wise. Took the dealer 3 days to fix the recall!

ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy

Tree Freak
Just had something nice happen, don't have anyone else to share it with.
I had to visit my truck/tractor mechanic. Of course I'm already seeing dollar signs, the $175 tow bill being first. As far as I know, the man has never wronged me or anyone else, and if he shakes your hand and gives you his word, by god, you know he's going to keep it. That's rare in my world. He's just a good ole down home plain as day mechanic. I always thought we had a good working relationship. My crap breaks down, he fixes it (correctly I might add) for a fair price, will even have one of his employees drop off a vehicle if you can't make it there, at no extra cost. When my dodge ram wouldn't start the other day, I dropped by his shop to see if he could make me an appointment so he could look at it. He asked me what was wrong it and I told him. He said it was most likely a throttle position sensor, and he was sure I could replace it myself, I just wouldn't like the price of the sensor. He said he thought he was right, but because the sensor was $500+ and I wouldn't be able to return it if he WAS WRONG, he let me borrow his fancy schmancy $5,000+ snap-on computer diagnostic tablet thinga-ma-jig. He even walked me through how to connect it and the correct procedure on the thing to test it. Who loans that kinda stuff out!? I didn't cry poor me, or ask to use it. He just offered it. Like I said, I thought we had a good working relationship, but he's definitely now on the friendship level in my book. I've always shown my gratitude and appreciation for his work by throwing him some extra honey from my hives, apple butter during canning season, fresh baked bread, or a suitcase of beer every once in a while. Guess it pays off. There still are decent people. At the risk of sounding like Dr. Phil, do ya'll have someone you can trust and count on in your lives?
I'm curious, what year Dodge Ram and what engine?
I've not heard of a TPS causing a no start condition. Nor can think of any that are $500.

BC WetCoast

BC WetCoast

Addicted to ArboristSite
Lots of good independents out there. You have sift the wheat from the chaff, and find one that does disgnostics and doesnt just load up the parts cannon. Dealerships are guilty of just firing parts without a diagnosis as well. You should also be willing to pay for the diagnosis, as the tech is using his skill and experience. However, telling you have bald tires or worn brake pads isnt diagnostics.

dive_hive

dive_hive

ArboristSite Lurker
I'm curious, what year Dodge Ram and what engine?
I've not heard of a TPS causing a no start condition. Nor can think of any that are $500.
2004 Ram 2500 5.7 "Heavy duty" 4door 4x4 Long bed, snow plow package, 5 Speed Auto 545RFE transmission, 2 speed manual NV271 shift on the fly transfer case, 3.73 rear end, limited slip differential. I have the build sheet laying around somewhere. 262,000 miles. Original engine and tranny, never rebuilt. I don't know if you're passive agressively calling bullshit on me or not, or if you're genuinely curious, but I have no reason to lie. The APP(Accelerator Petal Position Sensor)/TPS(made in USA) only used in the 5.7L engine ,it's listed both ways depending on the way the parts store's inventory seach is configured, is connected to the drivers side firewall, above the fender well, below the battery box. It not like most Ford, and chevy's where it's at the petal or in the throttle body. It's been a moderately well known problem over the years that FCA US/Daimler refuses to acknowledge. If your truck even exhibits the symptoms of a bad APP, they'll check everything but, rather than admit it's the sensor. You have to buy the sensor and the bellcrank as a unit. Which is no longer available through the dealership. The sensor, according to the dealership, has been on backorder for the last ten years. As far as the no start, yes and no. When mine went bad, it would not start at all, until you disconected and reconnected the battery, then it would start and run erratically in limp mode. If you put it in drive or reverse it would die immediately, until you disconected the battery again. Here's the first one that comes up when I googlefu. https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproduct..._K5Xgm1rQoAvP-ZiHinp39S96vFVJblRoC6OEQAvD_BwE And here's a discussion on it, with other people's symptoms. https://www.fixya.com/cars/t8038856-2003_dodge_ram_2500_5_7_hemi_red And pics of the one I replaced. Never uploaded a pic before so bare with me.

Attachments

dive_hive

dive_hive

ArboristSite Lurker
Yea anything from 2004 is pretty much a memory here. My three cars are from 2017, 18 and 19. You would be surprised at how much more technology is in the 2019 vs the 2017. You need to bring things to the dealership every now and again just for the software upgrades. I am not sure if I love the new tech but it does make for a safer commute. Just got the newer honda accord back from the dealer for a recall repair. They gave me a 2020 loaner accord. Almost a different car tech wise. Took the dealer 3 days to fix the recall!
Nice. I've never driven a car before, but I'm sure I'd like the gas mileage. I wouldn't even know how to start something that new. If I can't coast start it or if it doesn't take a screwdriver as a key, I probably don't want it either. Lol.

ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy

Tree Freak
2004 Ram 2500 5.7 "Heavy duty" 4door 4x4 Long bed, snow plow package, 5 Speed Auto 545RFE transmission, 2 speed manual NV271 shift on the fly transfer case, 3.73 rear end, limited slip differential. I have the build sheet laying around somewhere. 262,000 miles. Original engine and tranny, never rebuilt. I don't know if you're passive agressively calling bullshit on me or not, or if you're genuinely curious, but I have no reason to lie. The APP(Accelerator Petal Position Sensor)/TPS(made in USA) only used in the 5.7L engine ,it's listed both ways depending on the way the parts store's inventory seach is configured, is connected to the drivers side firewall, above the fender well, below the battery box. It not like most Ford, and chevy's where it's at the petal or in the throttle body. It's been a moderately well known problem over the years that FCA US/Daimler refuses to acknowledge. If your truck even exhibits the symptoms of a bad APP, they'll check everything but, rather than admit it's the sensor. You have to buy the sensor and the bellcrank as a unit. Which is no longer available through the dealership. The sensor, according to the dealership, has been on backorder for the last ten years. As far as the no start, yes and no. When mine went bad, it would not start at all, until you disconected and reconnected the battery, then it would start and run erratically in limp mode. If you put it in drive or reverse it would die immediately, until you disconected the battery again. Here's the first one that comes up when I googlefu. https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproduct..._K5Xgm1rQoAvP-ZiHinp39S96vFVJblRoC6OEQAvD_BwE And here's a discussion on it, with other people's symptoms. https://www.fixya.com/cars/t8038856-2003_dodge_ram_2500_5_7_hemi_red And pics of the one I replaced. Never uploaded a pic before so bare with me.
No, not at all passive aggressive. Was asking and gave reason why I asked.

Without knowing what truck, it could have been anything from 90s through 2010, in gas or diesel.

Newest thing I have is an 08 5500 Dodge.

CentaurG2

CentaurG2

Addicted to ArboristSite
Nice. I've never driven a car before, but I'm sure I'd like the gas mileage. I wouldn't even know how to start something that new. If I can't coast start it or if it doesn't take a screwdriver as a key, I probably don't want it either. Lol.
Well if you want to drive a new devil’s chariot that you can coast start, you best do it soon. All of my cars are manuals. When the 2018 went in for recall, I went to pick it up and the service manager told me he would get my car and would meet me right out front. About 5 min later, he came and handed me the fob, and told me where the car was located. He could not drive a stick.

The only thing I start with a screwdriver is the Kubota lawn mower. Key switch don’t work so you just jump the solenoid. Got to fix that switch one of these days.