post a pic of your wood burner in use...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that's real pretty! What do ya'all mostly burn?
Burning Ash, Pine, Beech, Maple. Have started lighting the fire with the Swiss method (big logs bottom, the medium logs and then fire lighter on top with some kindling to top it off) with no paper and it works a treat. It is a 5 KW stove.

What kind of stove is that?

Hi there, It is a Jotul F163 with side glass panel, takes a 15" log and is a joy to watch in action. Throws heat out no end.

Heating with bur oak and red maple tonight in the sauna. Sure in a different league than the aspen and balsam I've been working through all fall.

Get a kindling fire going then load the box once with the good stuff. I left damper open 1/4 way and came back to this. Firebox still 2/3 full.

This sauna can bury the thermometer which we've done a few times but I'd say that's tough on the building as well as way too hot for even Finns. We've also boiled the 18 gallon attached water tank at those temps.

image.jpg image.jpg

Heating with bur oak and red maple tonight in the sauna. Sure in a different league than the aspen and balsam I've been working through all fall.

Get a kindling fire going then load the box once with the good stuff. I left damper open 1/4 way and came back to this. Firebox still 2/3 full.

This sauna can bury the thermometer which we've done a few times but I'd say that's tough on the building as well as way too hot for even Finns. We've also boiled the 18 gallon attached water tank at those temps.

View attachment 379376 View attachment 379377
I would love a sauna. Can you post some pictures of it? Did you build it? What kind of materials did you use? Is it a dry sauna or humid?

steam rooms are awesome too i spent 2 hrs in one last year it got rid of my head cold in no time.
saunas are awesome also to sweat out some problems.

I would love a sauna. Can you post some pictures of it? Did you build it? What kind of materials did you use? Is it a dry sauna or humid?
Yes but may take a couple of days to rustle up pictures I've got around.

My dad and grandpa built it in the 70's and I remodeled a few years ago. It's only 6x8 so heats up fast and hot. We've only do one type of sauna around here, the kind where you throw water on the rocks so I guess that would qualify as a humid sauna.

restored this fisher insert a couple years ago. it eats like a pig, takes up to 26" pieces and keeps the house a comfy 80+ if your willing to feed it. trying to locate a factory fan for it and the hole above the top of the surround. there is a lot of heat that comes from that area (behind the stove)
fisher insert face 006.jpg dump1 491.jpg

The official 55 gallon barrel stove of deer camp
a7a9317798acefb4e9014850e4a19a5a.jpg

Daytime:
2014-10-03 09.29.11.jpg

Terrible pic - the glass is totally clean/clear but something about furnace glass that my camera won't see through? Anyway, this is a tiny little insert that I picked up new for $1000. Free shipping, too! At that price I didn't expect much, and sure enough it's a small firebox, I can just barely get a 4-hour burn out of it, and the fan isn't as quiet as I'd like. But while it's running it kicks out great heat and is plenty to hold the house on an average winter day. The room it's in will be 78+, and the rest of the floor at least 68. Have to work on more ways to move that air around - it's at one end of the house rather than the middle.

Did I mention it was only a thousand bucks?!?!

That's my wife's stove. Not making a sexist comment, just saying she made it very clear to me that she expected to decide when she wanted to be warm, and I said "yes, dear!" Happy wife, happy life...

e3e371a1dce3bd09c9c41738de28e584.jpg

Cheating a little on this photo because I didn't have one of my own. I can't remember who on this forum posted about these IKEA bags but whoever it was, I owe you a beer! :bowdown: I use these for bringing firewood into the house. I got a 10-pack on eBay for like $15 and they're just awesome. They're rugged as heck, last a long time, waterproof (until you wear holes in them - but it keeps the snow from leaking as it melts), and they stack pretty well because they have structure. It's a full bag rather than one of those canvas "loops" so it keeps the mess in.

I can carry two at a time (one in each hand) and with two trips get basically a week's worth of firewood into the house and ready to go. I also use them for kindling - I have three bags of splitter scraps and misc. pine that I split very thin. I keep those in the basement and dole it out in handfuls as needed.

This baby is mine:
2014-11-14 18.40.03.jpg
That's an Energy-Mate boiler, as near as I can tell built in the late 60's to early 70's - older than I am, anyway. It eats wood like crazy and also only gets 4-6 hours out of a burn. No secondaries so it's inefficient as all he** but it's about as reliable as a couple of chunks of decently-welded steel can be. 40+ years and still going strong. This thing takes half a wheel-barrow full of wood just to get up to temp. But the second load will bring the entire house (2300 sq. ft., terrible windows and insulation) from 60->70 on a 20-degree day.

How you outdoor-boiler folks do it, I don't know. I get that those things are great... but I'm pretty happy about being able to load this thing in a 60-degree basement in my shorts! :)

I keep about a week's worth of firewood in a bin - you can't see it because I'm standing IN that bin to take this pic.

I don't have storage hooked up yet. To the left of it is my mad-science "HotPi" project where I've built my own boiler controller and am working on adding a DIY-built storage tank and DHW coil to the setup shortly. One day I'd like to plumb solar into the same tank. It all runs over a 1-wire network and I have a Web app where I can see how the system's doing while I'm out, put it into cold-start mode, etc:

2014-11-15 14.07.53.png

Last one:
10393845_10152719877080225_7449413811845424717_n.jpg
That was my firewood stack, not quite done as of September. About 10 cords, and I don't expect to have any left by the end of winter. (Need to work on insulating this house better...) Yes, I'm a cover-the-top guy. I've never bought that argument that it seasons the same either way. Sure, it seasons "OK" if you don't cover it... Probably "just fine." But it can't possibly season "exactly as well". The math just doesn't work - the inside can't dry out until the outside does. Every rainstorm is SOME delay while that happens. Even if it dries in a few hours, that's a few hours less that it can season. Maybe it turns out to be a minor difference, I dunno, but I live in a fairly damp area in the woods and I'l take every HOUR I can get.

But I do it for another reason, too. This area gets a fair bit of sun (which is why the wood is there!) That sounds great for seasoning, but once the snow falls it's a little bit of a setback. The snow melts... but not all the way. If it gets down into the spaces between the rows it turns the whole thing into a huge block of ice... and that does NOT melt. Last year, in that "surprise, you thought it was May but it's still winter!" period we had, I had to use a maul to break the pile apart in an area where the tarp had blown off. :)

Here's two pics from last night when I was getting her going for the first real cold night of the year.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416087447726.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416087447726.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 72
  • uploadfromtaptalk1416087462918.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416087462918.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 67
Heatilator WS-22. Gotta love T-bone and New York Strip on the cast iron pan with a LOT of Butter!!!! One of the best steaks you can have.

Stove is a little rusty from a 4" rain this summer and did not have downspout down and filled "chimney well" with water and had water plum full in stove.....not a happy camper

I should try get some with the secondaries rollin.
20141106_185740_zpsed82254f.jpg

20141112_211927_zps4a95f265.jpg

20141112_212006_zps5b944979.jpg

20141112_212222_zps5083fa4e.jpg

Back