post a pic of your wood burner in use...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I loaded that load up an hour and 20 minutes ago, but it's unseasonably warm here today @ 45 degrees. Last week has been in the 20's and we finally had the ground freeze. Woke up this morning to rain and soggy again. Yuck!

My Pacific Western OWB. I usually don't have it this full of wood or this full of ashes but I've been away a few days and am trying to get rid of a bunch of crappy poplar that is in some skids I need. To the right is the wood burning and in the middle at the front is some of the rice coal I bought. It doesn't seem to be doing much unless the blower is on but it is hot as heck. I'll clean it out this weekend maybe.
IMG_00002080.jpg IMG_00002084.jpg

How do you like the rice coal now that you've used it for a bit? How does it affect your burn times? Longer/shorter? Would you buy it again?
My Pacific Western OWB. I usually don't have it this full of wood or this full of ashes but I've been away a few days and am trying to get rid of a bunch of crappy poplar that is in some skids I need. To the right is the wood burning and in the middle at the front is some of the rice coal I bought. It doesn't seem to be doing much unless the blower is on but it is hot as heck. I'll clean it out this weekend maybe.

Steve, I wouldn't waste my time or money on it again. I bought a ton of it along with a coal stove at an auction sale just to try it out. If I made a tray or something to set the coal on I'm sure it would work better but throwing coal is a stove is nowhere near as much fun as cutting wood so I'm not going to bother. I was trying to throw it in on a bed of wood coals just before I had a huge heat draw so that it would be burnt up at once instead of sitting there but it just seemed to ash over and get buried by wood ash also. Maybe in the dead of winter it will work better too.

This is at 0800 this morning after an up and at em load of some pine, tamarack, and some red maple at 0600.

E85A8045-76A2-4549-840A-B8FE5AF8863F_zpsu8qsy2jy.jpg

This was the temp right before I went out. The clock is an hour behind.

541DBE16-FE67-437D-9380-C9D49C6984C8_zps9taby1gp.jpg

After the new smoke baffle/water jacket add on I have been knocking down 8 hour burn times at night at sub zero temps. It's better at above zero.

When I come out in the morning the stove is either off or right at the beginning of the downhill slide. One or two partial pieces left and some coals. I'll throw in a partial load of tamarack/pine, red maple, paper birch, and ash at 0400 to get things going good then pack it full at 0500 before I go to work.

Night load consists of sugar/red maple, red/white oak, and black ash with a dash of tamarack.

Mmmmmm....pitchy tamarack. :) This is a piece that I cut/split New years day and went to the stash in the stove house.
6D0DC950-6841-44DB-A522-7184440CD1C4_zpsw95rpd1i.jpg

How old is it? How do you like it?
I just got it installed over Christmas but I was a Beta tester for a Beta unit of this new stove model last year. I liked the Beta unit so much I purchased a production model this fall. It's a great stove, 3.2cu ft firebox, very controllable and will throw massive amounts of heat when needed, or burn very low and slow for shoulder season use. It's a hybrid, it has both secondary air as well as a cat, so it's very clean burning and very efficient. My previous stove was a Woodstock Soapstone Fireview, which was a very good stove but not enough BTUs for our drafty old house.

Latest posts

Back