post a pic of your wood burner in use...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well boys here is a fire filled with VIRGIN Minnesota white pine.

My area was logged in 1912. 900,000 board feet of lumber was left submerged in the lake where my cabin is located due to an early spring that year.

Here's a firebox full of white pine cut 104 years ago, fished out of the lake and dried for three years.

Don't worry. It's not salvageable for other uses as wood submerged in shallow lakes deteriorates more quickly so although it works as firewood there is no strength to this wood so it's worthless as lumber.

View attachment 503205

where are the pix of the cabin and the lake at this Waldon Pond? :)

No "Walters" in this lake but a damn good place to kick back and have a few brews.

View attachment 503207 View attachment 503208 View attachment 503209

awesome! I like it. that cabin sitting on land that has water edge? nice lake. perfect spot... u alone up there? any othesr on it too? how big is it, acres? how far from home?.... the green color blends in nicely with trees, etc... have you had the place long...? do you fish in it too? sorry for all questions... just that a cabin in the wood in northern MN has a certain appeal! u get up there in winter... of course, you know I would have to have a wood burning fireplace in it... a bit 54" estate model... ;) thanks for the pix and showing it... definitely a place for a cold one... or two... ;)

walters?.... walleyes?

Only drawback is it's a property site lease so we own the cabin and outbuildings but lease the land site. Beautiful area although the deer population is decimated due to mismanagement of wolves. But that's another story.

Cabin, shed, sauna, and outhouse on the site. Northern pike are the primary quarry in the lake. Bugs are bad in the summer but still a great place to hang out.

Only drawback is it's a property site lease so we own the cabin and outbuildings but lease the land site. Beautiful area although the deer population is decimated due to mismanagement of wolves. But that's another story.

Cabin, shed, sauna, and outhouse on the site. Northern pike are the primary quarry in the lake. Bugs are bad in the summer but still a great place to hang out.

well, u know what they say: possession is 9/10ths of the law... ;) are the pike tasty? never ate any. but I see they can get pretty big... can u catch the pike from shore?

My area was logged in 1912. 900,000 board feet of lumber was left submerged in the lake where my cabin is located due to an early spring that year.

Here's a firebox full of white pine cut 104 years ago, fished out of the lake and dried for three years.

Don't worry. It's not salvageable for other uses as wood submerged in shallow lakes deteriorates more quickly so although it works as firewood there is no strength to this wood so it's worthless as lumber.

View attachment 503205

svk: is this wood stove up at the cabin?

well, u know what they say: possession is 9/10ths of the law... ;) are the pike tasty? never ate any. but I see they can get pretty big... can u catch the pike from shore?
Pike are very tasty. Every bit as good as walleye. Most people avoid them as their meat has a row of lateral bones that must be removed with some fancy filleting. Once you get it figured out its very easy.

"Walter" is any big fish (watch the movie "On Golden Pond" for the reference). Walters can also mean walleyes. This lake is void of both but good fishing is not far away.

You could probably catch them from shore but better fishing is on the other side of the lake.

View attachment 503205
Thats Pretty Cool

a79c1a4e71157c2cabb609ff375f1ee8.jpg

c0bee571edf8b799672e76e6dbb5c1e9.jpg

My little IWB in my shop...

ok.......now for the mantle story: was in the U.P. for a friend's wedding back in July '99; there was a heck of a storm that weekend that went across MN, WI and MI, power was out during the wedding and the whole bit. Lots of trees down. That Sunday my wife-to-be and I are driving back to our place and on the way out of town I swung down a gravel road and she says "where ya goin'?" I said we should check out deer camp to see if there's any damage; didn't get 1/4 mile had to go back to town grab my dad's saw and cut our way to camp; made it in and luckily no buildings were damaged, but checking out the woods there were a lot of trees down....got towards the end of the property and there's a spot with some nice cherry trees blown over. I knew the minute my dad saw them he'd have the husky fired up faster than you can say firewood. Sooo.....since we already had the saw, I limbed up as many logs that the 1/2 ton pickup could carry, no cable or chains handy but did have the deer dragging rope under the seat so, with the fiance driving and skidding and me hitching and unhitching, we had a truck full of logs pulled out and loaded in short order. Brought them back with us and found a guy who would mill them for us.....I pointed to the nicest one on the truck, a 10 footer, and asked him to cut that one 4 inches thick and maximum width. We didn't even have a house yet, but knew someday that would become a mantle in our living room. Now we sit there during the winters with a nice fire and reminisce about our one day being loggers with a piece of rope, Husky 55, and a GMC K1500.
Very Cool Story!

Back