Post Pictures of Big Trees!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
whoa Mike poor that some of the largest trees ive ever seen. Holy smokes!
I do toothpics campared to you folks.

I know its not the biggest tree around, but its cut down now. this one is me with a 180cm DBH Douglas fir. Right at the bottom of a sketchy cliff. That area had an average slope of over 100%. A tree that size they have to climb, limb & top, jack over, and buck to length so the S-64 aircrane can lift out the logs. Some of the wood is big enough that they have to cut real short logs and still rip them. i wish i had a picture of a 3+ meter spruce on the san juan river.

Here's one the larger sized trees we cut down for firewood. Its an oak thats been dead for approximately 1 year, with the top fringes of tree just starting to dry out. Cut down with a McCulloch Timber Bear (from the 1990s prior to Mc's bankruptcy) with a 20" bar. Even with a center hinge reduced to an area approximatel 12" long by 10" wide it still took 4 wedges to make it come down. Due to tree's diameter - around 4 feet - we could not quite reach into interior to carve an ideal hinge thus the wedges.

MikePoor said:
here is a big log for the midwest (populus deltoides) 7' dbh. 24' long (two men one day) after seeing the General Sherman tree all other trees look small!

geez those are massive:bowdown:

cutting all the back cut

McC:
Two things you can do to cut more back cut wood with a shorter bar.
1) Do a face center bore after you've completed the face but before you start the back cut proper.
2) Make the back cut level.

The back cut being level is also easier for three other reasons.
a) Less wood total to cut,
b) Wood is cut more efficiently at a right angle than at a 45 or similar,
c) Wedges in a level cut work more efficiently to direct a tree over, (I.e. when you wedge in an angled back-cut, it tends to break the hinge rather than lift the tree.

Adirondack white pine. Otherwise known as down payment for new house.

Last edited:
big sycamore - big walnut

Been meaning to stop and get these photos. Had a half hour to kill this morning so here they are.

The first is a sycamore near where my family had our business. It's in a public park. I don't believe it's ever had much done to it, but it seems pretty healthy. Each stem is about 15 feet in circumference - just under 4' dbh. At the root flare, it's around 10' wide, making it over 31 feet in circumference.

The second is a black walnut a couple blocks from where I grew up. There was talk one time of removing it, but some talked the owner out of it- thank goodness. There are some bad areas on the trunk but no rot I can see. Didn't want to get too close, a lot of poison ivy at the base. I'm guessing it's at least 6' dbh. Anyone care to guess on height?

here's one:

attachment.php

Whure did you buy that Antigravity Stihl?

Was the Beaver scared of it?

Back