Post Pictures of Big Trees!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The tree is on the ground no one got hurt, that we know of anyway. All kinds of reasons to do a cut like that, hardware or whatever reason he had.
And yeah I was a farmer and most of my friends are. Did you eat today, you're welcome.
Do you still wonder why people hardly post any pictures in this thread anymore?
Do you wonder why most of us don't come to this thread anymore?
I used to have some respect for you guys. Used to.

The tree is on the ground no one got hurt, that we know of anyway. All kinds of reasons to do a cut like that, hardware or whatever reason he had.
And yeah I was a farmer and most of my friends are. Did you eat today, you're welcome.
Do you still wonder why people hardly post any pictures in this thread anymore?
Do you wonder why most of us don't come to this thread anymore?
I used to have some respect for you guys. Used to.
That statement is what is said for most bad cuts, it is lame and has been.
It can be a dangerous way to fall trees and is completely unnecessary, causes too much time at the stump as well. Farmers should stick to what they do best.

Nobody put me in charge and I was going to reword that but didn't want to waste anymore time here. Do you see how many posts are in here lately? Those of us who used to post here have moved to other forums here because of this crap. I've posted pictures of cuts that I've done and the tree didn't do what I expected it to do and actually had some help now it's just a laugh and embarrass the guy until he goes away. And the forum dies out.

Nobody put me in charge and I was going to reword that but didn't want to waste anymore time here. Do you see how many posts are in here lately? Those of us who used to post here have moved to other forums here because of this crap. I've posted pictures of cuts that I've done and the tree didn't do what I expected it to do and actually had some help now it's just a laugh and embarrass the guy until he goes away. And the forum dies out.

A somewhat valid point. Ya gotta admit, there was some humor in the photo.

I didn't really see the humor in the photo but it was a poor photo for my old eyes anyway. I still remember the very 1st tree I ever cut down. There used to be 2 very large old dead elm trees in our field and one day my brother decided to cut one down. Trouble was the tree was 5' across and all Dad had was a Muculloch saw with a little 18" bar. After 4 hours of trying to burn his way thru he had made it about halfway. I spent the next 3 or 4 days cut little blocks out of that tree until it finally fell over. I tried sharpening the saw, busting chunks out with an axe everything until it finally fell down. I just wish I had a camera so I could have taken pictures of it. I would love to hear your comments on it, it truely was a work of art. And at the time I was a farmer so yeah it was a Farmers cut for sure. I waited 10 years before I cut the other tree down and it was almost a repeat of the 1st one only without my older brothers start. That old Muculloch is long gone now and I sure don't miss it. Now I cut trees down all the time and thanks to the guys here I would like to think I do a decent job of it. (most of the time) Us old guys have to teach the young fellas or they will never learn. My son and nephews sat in the house playing video games and watching tv while I cut trees down today, not real impressed with that but it seems to be the way now.

I know that you can look at these pics and tell exactly what happened. They are posted on the Firewood thread but I would rather lost them here where people should see them. Pics are in reverse order and show what happens when you miss your mark by a couple of feet.
IMG_00001407.jpg IMG_00001406.jpg IMG_00001405.jpg IMG_00001404.jpg IMG_00001403.jpg IMG_00001402.jpg IMG_00001401.jpg IMG_00001400.jpg IMG_00001397.jpg

I didn't really see the humor in the photo but it was a poor photo for my old eyes anyway. I still remember the very 1st tree I ever cut down. There used to be 2 very large old dead elm trees in our field and one day my brother decided to cut one down. Trouble was the tree was 5' across and all Dad had was a Muculloch saw with a little 18" bar. After 4 hours of trying to burn his way thru he had made it about halfway. I spent the next 3 or 4 days cut little blocks out of that tree until it finally fell over. I tried sharpening the saw, busting chunks out with an axe everything until it finally fell down. I just wish I had a camera so I could have taken pictures of it. I would love to hear your comments on it, it truely was a work of art. And at the time I was a farmer so yeah it was a Farmers cut for sure. I waited 10 years before I cut the other tree down and it was almost a repeat of the 1st one only without my older brothers start. That old Muculloch is long gone now and I sure don't miss it. Now I cut trees down all the time and thanks to the guys here I would like to think I do a decent job of it. (most of the time) Us old guys have to teach the young fellas or they will never learn. My son and nephews sat in the house playing video games and watching tv while I cut trees down today, not real impressed with that but it seems to be the way now.

Your exactly right. it's our duty to pass down what we know to younger generations. That said you should have drug those boys out of the house by the knapp of necks and made them help. They may not have liked it or been happy but you cannot learn valuable life skills playing video games. This is exactly the problem now days. Your the adult in the situation. Step up.

After I proof read that it sounded like a personal attack on you. For that I apologize. Its more of a vent about how modern society is failing to provide youth with the skills they need to survive life on a day to day basis.

cantoo, I appreciated your pictures and your intent when originally posted in the FW forum. That one tree could be used to illustrated many safety considerations that the lesser experienced firewood cutter should learn and us older guys should remember beyond the few matters you and I touched. I was a little disappointed that the discussion didn't develop further. I didn't push it as it appears no one was listening to us. And I certainly didn't want you to think my intent was to criticize you. Yet, where can you have that kind of discussion on AS without folks getting crosswise? You just about have to write a book length introduction to the point of a post just to contain the collateral damage. Here you and RandyMac have both made valid points: The OP didn't appreciate the response and might not ever post another stump shot. The often repeated "At the end of the day the tree is down and no one got hurt" is not a valid excuse or justification for failure to use appropriate techniques or for failure to appreciate the hazards posed in a given situation; yesterday's fortunes don't guarantee a repeat today.

Ron

rwoods, I agree that the guy maybe got lucky but it also looks like there was nothing valuable other than the cutter himself in the way of that tree. It would have been nice to know his reason for doing that type of cut but now that he is long gone we will just assume he had no idea what he was doing.
I do some different cutting sometime just to see what the tree will do, of course I pick those trees to practice on. I hate using wedges and cutting in a bush so not really concerned about which way a tree will fall but it's nice to practice and get them to go where you want instead of where they want to go.

watchamakalit. My son and nephews are old enough (26, I still call them kids) to do lots and they all have good jobs, they also grew up together but now live far enough away that they only get to see each other a couple of times a year now so I never get on their case about playing in the bush with me. I have an office job and I cut wood to wind down and relax they play games and do whatever to wind down also, guess it sounded like they were too lazy to do anything. My son is a licensed auto mechanic and is getting his motorcycle licence right now. He works on and builds Harleys. My one nephew is a Field Manager for a Solar Collector company. The other nephew runs a pay loader and a gravel crusher. I just thought they might like to go back and drop some bog trees for fun, they just have other ideas of fun than most of us here.

cantoo, I don't know whether he was lucky or not. Nor have I assumed he otherwise doesn't know what he is doing. I know many of us, myself included, used sloping back cuts (or farmer's cut as some call them) for a long time thinking that they were safer than a straight back cut (though they're not), or because that is what we were taught or observed. As a boy in the south, I remember seeing lots of them in logged out patches. I don't think to an untrained person (such as myself) that a straight back cut is as intuitive as some may believe. Nonetheless, I hope the OP hasn't left for good. I don't believe any harm was meant by the responding posters.

BTW I cut wood for pretty much the same reasons as those you stated. :) Ron

rwoods, I agree that the guy maybe got lucky but it also looks like there was nothing valuable other than the cutter himself in the way of that tree. It would have been nice to know his reason for doing that type of cut but now that he is long gone we will just assume he had no idea what he was doing.
I do some different cutting sometime just to see what the tree will do, of course I pick those trees to practice on. I hate using wedges and cutting in a bush so not really concerned about which way a tree will fall but it's nice to practice and get them to go where you want instead of where they want to go.

watchamakalit. My son and nephews are old enough (26, I still call them kids) to do lots and they all have good jobs, they also grew up together but now live far enough away that they only get to see each other a couple of times a year now so I never get on their case about playing in the bush with me. I have an office job and I cut wood to wind down and relax they play games and do whatever to wind down also, guess it sounded like they were too lazy to do anything. My son is a licensed auto mechanic and is getting his motorcycle licence right now. He works on and builds Harleys. My one nephew is a Field Manager for a Solar Collector company. The other nephew runs a pay loader and a gravel crusher. I just thought they might like to go back and drop some bog trees for fun, they just have other ideas of fun than most of us here.
I see your point. My mistake I assumed (yes I know what happens) That they were younger. Sounds as though they are both doing well in life and must have had a good upbringing.

Again I didn't mean it as a personal attack. Just venting about poor parenting skills that seem to be running rampant in society these days.

I thought I had a spot to try the farmers cut, sloping backcut, Dutchman or whatever it is called. Maple and ash growing right beside each other and didn't want to damage the maple. Didn't work worth a crap for getting it on the ground but at least I never cut the maple. Pushed it down with the tractor.
IMG_00002126.jpg IMG_00002127.jpg IMG_00002128.jpg

I thought I had a spot to try the farmers cut, sloping backcut, Dutchman or whatever it is called. Maple and ash growing right beside each other and didn't want to damage the maple. Didn't work worth a crap for getting it on the ground but at least I never cut the maple. Pushed it down with the tractor.
View attachment 392024 View attachment 392025 View attachment 392027
You should consider retiring that cut method, I don't think its worth a damn at any time...ever.

Back