Post pictures of your firewood cutting kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saiso

Mountain Ranger
Reaction score
I’m intrigued and curious to see what you guys have and bring out in the bush. Do you carry your stuff in a backpack? Box that you leave roadside? In the truck? On you?

I have 2 « kits »

Kit 1 is a small kaki backpack that I keep all my essentials (wedges, tools, small axe, spark plug, can squeeze my cutting chaps, water, toilet paper etc). I normally use this if I have to walk any distance, plan on being in the woods for a while or for winter cutting.

Kit 2 is a big Rubbermaid tote that was previously used as a pump box for fire suppression at work. Some were being thrown out so I snatched one. This contains pretty much everything I’d need from essentials to extra clothing, draw knife, couple axes, etc. I normally keep small tools on the tray and bigger items on the bottom. This kit normally stays in the truck when cutting season starts.

I recently got a new phone so I’ll have to take pictures another day. I’ll post some when I do :)

So please, post pictures :popcorn2: :happybanana:

When I go to the bush or to my cutting area I take many many items. I would guess at least a thousand pounds not counting water. Often a typical cutting event would include at least 150 gallons of water. A couple of years ago I spent three weeks cutting which was typical then it snowed. So now I plan extra for the maybe situations. Thanks

I cut at the farm most of the time I am not more than 150 yards from the truck

my truck carries my cant hook , pickeroon , axeroon , chains , straps , come-a-long , timber hook and a variety of other tools spare bar spare chains , maul , steel wedges lots of stuff.

but it sounds like your asking what do you carry on you and everyone loves a picture so while I was out organizing some things in my truck I snapped a picture

saws 2255 left , 2166 right
Saw chaps , hard hat , gloves
my fallers belt is an old GI pistol belt with load bearing suspenders the suspenders are a must or at least for me the belt just drags my pants down , it has a dump pouch on the back for whatever I want with but out of the way spare wedges , I am using a fastener pouch to hold wedges , scwrench , file.
I am thinking I should add a canteen because I need to be drinking more water and not just when I fill the saws with gas
a hammer loop for my axe which is not in the picture but a basic 3.5 pound Michigan pattern single bit with shortened handle.
also missing are my gas can and oil can they are 2.5 gallon gas cans labeled and with ez-pour spouts

if we are headed someplace I can't get the truck to I toss the gas oil and what I think we will need in the bucket of the tractor.

sawkit.JPG

I cut at the farm most of the time I am not more than 150 yards from the truck

my truck carries my cant hook , pickeroon , axeroon , chains , straps , come-a-long , timber hook and a variety of other tools spare bar spare chains , maul , steel wedges lots of stuff.

but it sounds like your asking what do you carry on you and everyone loves a picture so while I was out organizing some things in my truck I snapped a picture

saws 2255 left , 2166 right
Saw chaps , hard hat , gloves
my fallers belt is an old GI pistol belt with load bearing suspenders the suspenders are a must or at least for me the belt just drags my pants down , it has a dump pouch on the back for whatever I want with but out of the way spare wedges , I am using a fastener pouch to hold wedges , scwrench , file.
I am thinking I should add a canteen because I need to be drinking more water and not just when I fill the saws with gas
a hammer loop for my axe which is not in the picture but a basic 3.5 pound Michigan pattern single bit with shortened handle.
also missing are my gas can and oil can they are 2.5 gallon gas cans labeled and with ez-pour spouts

if we are headed someplace I can't get the truck to I toss the gas oil and what I think we will need in the bucket of the tractor.

View attachment 712696
Awesome! Nice picture :)

I like seeing and hearing other options and varieties. That’s a cool looking belt/pouch set up. I should maybe invest in something similar rather than having my backpack with the fuel and water.

You bring both saws with you to the woods to increase productivity or a spare?

I don't always bring both saws in the woods.
remember I don't normally cut very far from where I can get the truck to and if I do I am working with a tractor.
I always have both with in the truck . and before I had the 2166 I had a Stihl MS260 as my second saw back when I first started I only had one saw the 260 one day I really got the bar pinched , I had to unbolt my power head drive to town and buy a second bar and chain then go cut that out of the tree. then I had the spare bar and chain with if that happened again.

often I do bring both into the woods if we are having a day of falling and skidding the 2166 with the 28 inch bar is great for falling larger trees lately we have been doing a number of 30+ inch trees that have root rot and or are badly storm damaged so that is what needs cutting. the 2166 is great but it is a beast weight wise so I will drop a tree and section up the trunk to skid-able lengths then grab the smaller saw and cut up the top enough that it can be skidded or hauled to the brush pile saving most any wood over 3 inches in diameter for the fire wood pile

I can often run a few hours of falling and skidding on the 2 saws without filling , I spend more time hitching chain it seems than cutting.

working along side a tractor or skid steer I make sure to keep the saw in my hand or a safe place for fear of it getting run over. the 2255 with 18 inch bar is lighter and will cut most anything that is on the ground .

so some spare , some production I fill both saws with gas and oil and leave the cans at the truck when one is out I grab the other, both saws start the day sharp , some times you hit the ground with the chain and it needs to be sharpend much faster to grab the next saw and cut and sharpen at the vise later when the second saw needs gas or I am done with the tree we were working on.

I looked at a lighter saw than the 2255 but I wasn't gaining that much in weight savings unless I spent more money that I couldn't justify already having the 2255.

on days when I am just making fire wood I am generally only a few feet from the tailgate those days I have a 24 inch bar on the 2166

I don't always bring both saws in the woods.
remember I don't normally cut very far from where I can get the truck to and if I do I am working with a tractor.
I always have both with in the truck . and before I had the 2166 I had a Stihl MS260 as my second saw back when I first started I only had one saw the 260 one day I really got the bar pinched , I had to unbolt my power head drive to town and buy a second bar and chain then go cut that out of the tree. then I had the spare bar and chain with if that happened again.

often I do bring both into the woods if we are having a day of falling and skidding the 2166 with the 28 inch bar is great for falling larger trees lately we have been doing a number of 30+ inch trees that have root rot and or are badly storm damaged so that is what needs cutting. the 2166 is great but it is a beast weight wise so I will drop a tree and section up the trunk to skid-able lengths then grab the smaller saw and cut up the top enough that it can be skidded or hauled to the brush pile saving most any wood over 3 inches in diameter for the fire wood pile

I can often run a few hours of falling and skidding on the 2 saws without filling , I spend more time hitching chain it seems than cutting.

working along side a tractor or skid steer I make sure to keep the saw in my hand or a safe place for fear of it getting run over. the 2255 with 18 inch bar is lighter and will cut most anything that is on the ground .

so some spare , some production I fill both saws with gas and oil and leave the cans at the truck when one is out I grab the other, both saws start the day sharp , some times you hit the ground with the chain and it needs to be sharpend much faster to grab the next saw and cut and sharpen at the vise later when the second saw needs gas or I am done with the tree we were working on.

I looked at a lighter saw than the 2255 but I wasn't gaining that much in weight savings unless I spent more money that I couldn't justify already having the 2255.

on days when I am just making fire wood I am generally only a few feet from the tailgate those days I have a 24 inch bar on the 2166
Very fun to read, thanks.

if I was just going it to fall trees and was going to be some distance from the truck I would probably have my big saw , belt with wedges and tools , a 2 in 1 gas/oil can and I have a 3 liter hydration pack with some storage that would carry my water and lunch and other small things I might want with like a spare chain , plug and extra bar nuts.

I think I would also get one of these axe scabbards https://grizzlypeakenterprises.com/products

the nice part of the belt I have currently was the load bearing suspenders were the only thing I purchased I had all the other stuff.

I ran that pistol belt for a while before I upgraded and I may take that dump pouch back when I get into shooting season again.

I also make some kydex holsters so I may just make myself and axe scabbard from .125 Kydex I have a sheet of that around I bought for something else but didn't like when I tried it ,that should work for a axe scabard.

but start with whatever you have and decide what you do and don't like, different people work in different ways.

the way I work trees are not my day job , I fix phone lines for a living and cut to heat and help a friend and because I like to.

I don't need to carry my lunch with me because come lunch time we head to the farm house and eat a big home cooked meal. I have it good I know.

I carry every thing except gas and oil with me. the gas and oil I leafe in a locked deer blind in the woods.

5TqLM7A.jpg

:D Al

What's the water for?

When I go to the bush or to my cutting area I take many many items. I would guess at least a thousand pounds not counting water. Often a typical cutting event would include at least 150 gallons of water. A couple of years ago I spent three weeks cutting which was typical then it snowed. So now I plan extra for the maybe situations. Thanks

No close ups of the saw carriers on the rops.
I masured my widest bar and chain, cut some T1-11 sideing scraps I had to just 2" over that width. cut a couple of 1" strips to add to the top and bottom drilled 4, 3/8" holes then installed the 4, 3/8" bolts. screwed thre two halves together then cut the scabard in half long ways. Cut two chunks of leather from some old boots took square C style door handles sliped them over the 3/8"bolts add washers and nuts to hold them in place.

:D Al

What's the water for?

I have a chemical fire extinguisher that uses 20 gallons then there are three back packs that use seven gallons each. What if a USDA guard shows up and all the fire equipment is not full well that would not be pretty and then at times I need 300 gallons with a pump. They let me squeak by because I do not let them down. On occasion a shower is nice even if it is freezing or extra nice if it is warm outside. Then I enjoy coffee every morning, also need some water for the macaroni and cheese. The kettles make food look better when they are clean. So water is some what essential. Thanks

This year I am going to try to double production and aim for 100 plus cords in less than a month, but will likely need 5 weeks or more. Since it takes 2 1/2 hours to get to town it is difficult to pack and unpack just because you ran out of eggs. Weather will play an important part. Thanks

This is what I mainly carry minus a spud/pry bar. Depending on the time of year I might care a machete or a weed eater. Almost all of my firewood collecting comes from residential settings so Im usually within a few yards of the truck.

Attachments

• IMG_1957.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1959.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 32
Back