Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My fiance and i sorted the entire pile of rounds today and then i pushed the stuff that needs to be split back into piles. Feels good!
40a8236ff7446a19bd2c9dbd21c4d019.jpg
733250a7060afce68d494419ff275d4a.jpg
8ae934c3992e915fa836bb5e601abb77.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Finished up splitting the wood from last weekend, was able to take advantage of the overnight freeze and hauled it all uphill to stack in the woodyard. Started another holzhausen stack, a mix of cherry and ash. Next season's and the following season's woodpile is starting to look good!

LPyaf3g.jpg

oFbpXNG.jpg

I envy you guys in pa, it’s a beautiful state

Grass is greener...

It's not so bad, low cost of living, no taxes on food stuffs; but property taxes can be high and you can't deduct your Fed income tax on the state form. Having lived my whole life in Maryland, it's a welcome change. At the very least I can go buy a handgun without needing a license and a stupid seven day wait. Lot's of timber cutting history and the craft beer scene is booming.

Grass is greener...

It's not so bad, low cost of living, no taxes on food stuffs; but property taxes can be high and you can't deduct your Fed income tax on the state form. Having lived my whole life in Maryland, it's a welcome change. At the very least I can go buy a handgun without needing a license and a stupid seven day wait. Lot's of timber cutting history and the craft beer scene is booming.

View attachment 628560 Processed my little jag today (see Scrounging thread) and started bay #3 in the barn. Bay is 12’x12’ for reference. I’m several years ahead, so it’s a start. Oak, Red Elm, and a dash of Cherry.
You suck! Several years ahead??? I am jealous

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Finished up splitting the wood from last weekend, was able to take advantage of the overnight freeze and hauled it all uphill to stack in the woodyard. Started another holzhausen stack, a mix of cherry and ash. Next season's and the following season's woodpile is starting to look good!

LPyaf3g.jpg

oFbpXNG.jpg

This might be a dumb question
But why do you stack the wood in circles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This might be a dumb question
But why do you stack the wood in circles

The holzhausen is something I've been experimenting with. Why? For several reasons, chief among them are to save space as it's a smaller footprint. An 8' diameter by 5' tall stack is about ~2 cords based on volume of cubic foot. Secondly, it is very stable, no need for cribbing, stakes, or wire/cables, and it goes pretty quick once you get the hang of it. The one shown above is about 80% complete, but it took maybe 30 minutes to do that with my wife sorting and me stacking. Lastly, and this is what I'm experimenting with - it is said that this structure creates natural convection which dries the wood faster, or at least well enough compared to straight rows. This is what I'm trying to find out. So far I'm using quick drying woods like ash and cherry, my oak are the straight rows in the background.

The holzhausen is something I've been experimenting with. Why? For several reasons, chief among them are to save space as it's a smaller footprint. An 8' diameter by 5' tall stack is about ~2 cords based on volume of cubic foot. Secondly, it is very stable, no need for cribbing, stakes, or wire/cables, and it goes pretty quick once you get the hang of it. The one shown above is about 80% complete, but it took maybe 30 minutes to do that with my wife sorting and me stacking. Lastly, and this is what I'm experimenting with - it is said that this structure creates natural convection which dries the wood faster, or at least well enough compared to straight rows. This is what I'm trying to find out. So far I'm using quick drying woods like ash and cherry, my oak are the straight rows in the background.

That keep us informed if you don’t mind

That keep us informed if you don’t mind

I will do my best, but there are old threads on here about holzhausen stacks with anecdotal evidence and personal accounts on thier effectiveness.

For me, this is a real-time laboratory to collect information and ultimately decide whether or not this is the way to go. If it dries on par or even a little slower than straight stacks, then it is still a viable option because of the space saving factor and low maintenance structural stability. Provided that I'm a few seasons ahead in my woodpiles (which is the goal, and I'm getting closer) - then waiting more than a year to season is totally acceptable. Eventually I'd like to try this method with oak, we'll see...

Maryland is as bad as jersey. Oh well your in a better place now! Love the Thomas Jefferson from yards in Philly. And the brewery in downingtown is pretty good. Lagunitas rocks!

Among the many reasons why we fled five years ago. My roots are deeply within the "Free" State, and I still drive below the Mason-Dixon for work every day, but can hang my hat in a little more freedom at night. All good breweries, my favorite over here right now is Tired Hands out in Philly.

Back