Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This guy knew where to stack his wood for ease of access .

ajaxhelper

This guy knew where to stack his wood for ease of access .

ajaxhelper
When we first built our house I had double doors with a removable center post put in the basement. I would swing the doors open and drive the tractor and trailer in. The trailer held a half cord stacked. Would just park it at the bottom of the stairs. Now the firewood goes on the front porch, closer, no steps, but out in the weather, Joe.

I bought a husky splitter and love it. I used to use any old axe from a flea market or yard sale and it was a pain in the b***s. Curious to how they compare to the orange husky or a fiskers. I know one thing when my boy was using it in late summer and early fall he put probably 30-40’ on his baseball swing.

I bought a husky splitter and love it. I used to use any old axe from a flea market or yard sale and it was a pain in the b***s. Curious to how they compare to the orange husky or a fiskers. I know one thing when my boy was using it in late summer and early fall he put probably 30-40’ on his baseball swing.

I was torn between those and a German splitter. I'e never tried one, so never pulled the trigger. Seems like a nice design, though I was curious about their effectiveness in harder woods.

Worked fine in red and white oak, beech, maple and cherry. Not so well in some stringy *ss white stuff.

It came sharper than a small Hults Bruk splitting axe I bought . I always heard the Hults Bruk were a little more finished

I've always said that splitting wood is like hitting a ball. It's all in the wrists, bat speed, ax speed, and a good eye. Putting the bat on the ball and putting the ax in the right spot, or same spot twice, Joe.

I've always said that splitting wood is like hitting a ball. It's all in the wrists, bat speed, ax speed, and a good eye. Putting the bat on the ball and putting the ax in the right spot, or same spot twice, Joe.
I agree splitting by hand is great for hand, wrist and forearm strength and really helps with bat speed. But the way it strengthens the core (abdominals) is unmatched

View attachment 633364View attachment 633365

Picture of the wood before and after stack. I didn’t do the best job stackin it. I was getting tired of it and wound up with a little of 12 cords. Still have a lot more to do.

I do love red gum. Spent 7+ hours driving yesterday and most of that time I was admiring the big red gums I was driving past and how good they'd look CSS in my wood shed. Probably should have been watching the road but we still got home ok :numberone:.

I do love red gum. Spent 7+ hours driving yesterday and most of that time I was admiring the big red gums I was driving past and how good they'd look CSS in my wood shed. Probably should have been watching the road but we still got home ok :numberone:.
How does the red gum we have here burn compared to the varieties you have back there or are they all about the same

Back