Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How does the red gum we have here burn compared to the varieties you have back there or are they all about the same

Good question, not sure I can answer exactly. There are a few variants of red gum here and they're close to each other in how they burn and how heavy they are. Red gum here sits between black locust and hedge on the BTU charts and is about in the middle for Oz eucalypt species for density. But I've read that when planted outside Australia the density is lower for some eucalypt species so it may not be as good over there. Then again, if you have a fence line of them rather than a close planted plantation it may be more like it is here.

Red gum is what most people will buy for firewood in my neck of the woods and it is well regarded for burn time and low ash content (apart from the bark) though there is better wood a bit further inland and north of here.

Got about half of one of the big piles of rounds split this weekend.

1da62ad4932a0a81f16c9158970f04d3.jpg
d813e4a47c7a9fbf402212e931dbe2dd.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

snows dropped enough around here finally that the woods look inviting again. low land and the hollow's that are not flooded with water heavy drifted snow will be awhile yet.... ridges are sun burnt dry to a workable way till mid afternoon, then become muddy and slippery. pull logs and a few buckets during the morning till noonish and then cut and load logs to bring home for next winter. ! slow on the get go after a fat winter sitting around , it will be good to get the fat off and move again!

snows dropped enough around here finally that the woods look inviting again. low land and the hollow's that are not flooded with water heavy drifted snow will be awhile yet.... ridges are sun burnt dry to a workable way till mid afternoon, then become muddy and slippery. pull logs and a few buckets during the morning till noonish and then cut and load logs to bring home for next winter. ! slow on the get go after a fat winter sitting around , it will be good to get the fat off and move again!
Yeah, it's a mud fest here too!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Nice!
How's that Powersplit?
It's pretty good. I'm thinking about selling this one and getting a new one minus the conveyor. This one is old and tired and the splitter is amazing but the conveyor is so so and really not tall enough and it's a pain to use for loading if I'm not splitting right onto a truck. I want a drag line on a dedicated conveyor.

Back