Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha too funny. And the reason they do is because they're a bunch of Stingy bastards and they won't thin out anything and they won't let anybody have anything and they've been miss managing the forest for over a hundred years
Granted extremely dry conditions could result in forest fire regardless, the “hands off” approach of forest management greatly increases the risk. Northern MN suffered a terrible storm in 1999 and the unmanaged areas suffered thousands of acres of forest fires in the following decade until the blowdown finally decayed. Sensible logging could have saved dozens of homes and provided thousands upon thousands of cords of wood to the local timber industry.

Granted extremely dry conditions could result in forest fire regardless, the “hands off” approach of forest management greatly increases the risk. Northern MN suffered a terrible storm in 1999 and the unmanaged areas suffered thousands of acres of forest fires in the following decade until the blowdown finally decayed. Sensible logging could have saved dozens of homes and provided thousands upon thousands of cords of wood to the local timber industry.
I couldn't have said it better ...it is really sad because of everything that ends up getting wasted in the long run and the lives that get ruined and people die.
Oh well commy-fornia aka killer-fornia.
They screwed up that state so bad they all had to moved to Washington back in the eighties and nineties. and they're pouring into Arizona now and Nevada now. They want to bring their dumb ideals with them. maybe when they all move away from California something nice will be left haha

Long time lurker, recently started posting. Great site!

My current wood piles. I cleared a bush lot for my house (built last year). Mostly spruce and jackpine, with some birch and poplar (aspen mixed).

I have roughly 5 cords so far. About 5 more to buck, split and pile.

I learned the "cage" method from my time in Finland. A cheap and easy way to get good airflow through the wood.

Attachments

• IMG_6153.JPG
    IMG_6153.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_6103.JPG
    IMG_6103.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 95
Welcome flyinfinn!

Thank you!

Indeed, welcome! Interesting, never have seen that cage method before. I'm becoming a big fan of the holzhausen, or round pile, got that idea from the Scandinavians as well.

How do you secure the cage wire?

The "cage" is made from welded wire fencing (6 feet tall) and a hardwood pallet. I cut a length of fencing roughly 10 feet long. I fastened it to the pallet using heavy duty staples. I held the seam of the fencing closed with zip ties. I took about 10 minutes to assemble.

I just put a piece of OSB sheeting on top to keep the rain off, but corrugated metal or a tarp would also work. The important part being to keep the sides open so the wind and sun can dry out the wood.

Long time lurker, recently started posting. Great site!

My current wood piles. I cleared a bush lot for my house (built last year). Mostly spruce and jackpine, with some birch and poplar (aspen mixed).

I have roughly 5 cords so far. About 5 more to buck, split and pile.

I learned the "cage" method from my time in Finland. A cheap and easy way to get good airflow through the wood.

Plus, the cage also makes it hard for the wood to get away.

I think there is a lot to learn from the Scandinavians when it comes to firewood drying. I spent a month up in Gallivare in Sweden in 1995 and let me tell you, that place is cold. To dry wood in those parts, you need to put your thinking cap on. Here in Oz, we just chuck it in the shed, and hey presto, it's dry.

I dig it. Is there any difference in time or consistency with drying during seasoning? How do you get them out, cut the zip ties at the seam and let it fall out?
As you can see from my pictures, I've stacked some "traditionally" on pallets. I'll compare wood from both the cage and traditional pile. But with better sun exposure and wind exposure, I believe the cage will dry the wood better.

To get the wood out, I plan on cutting the seam from the top and "unzipping" the seam as I unload wood from the top down. I don't plan on cutting the whole seam and letting the wood spill on to the ground.

I may have to try that one of these days. I'm a fan of not using support or cribbing, so the holzhausen has worked beautifully in that regard.

Unfortunately, that experiment will have to wait. I injured my knee about 3 weeks ago, got an MRI earlier this week, and the doctors are now telling me I completely tore my ACL and fractured my fibula... Originally it was thought to be a meniscus tear. Nope, it's worse. Way worse.

Good thing I'm about two years ahead in firewood.

I may have to try that one of these days. I'm a fan of not using support or cribbing, so the holzhausen has worked beautifully in that regard.

Unfortunately, that experiment will have to wait. I injured my knee about 3 weeks ago, got an MRI earlier this week, and the doctors are now telling me I completely tore my ACL and fractured my fibula... Originally it was thought to be a meniscus tear. Nope, it's worse. Way worse.

Good thing I'm about two years ahead in firewood.
I’m about 50 miles north of Pittsburgh, if you would get in a jam with wood PM me and I could probably make a run to help out.

I’m about 50 miles north of Pittsburgh, if you would get in a jam with wood PM me and I could probably make a run to help out.

That's awfully kind of you to offer, thank you. We should be OK, I've got about 5 maybe 6 cords split and stacked, more than half is ash and cherry so it'll be plenty dry come burning season. Under better circumstances I would have liked to get my pile of logs and rounds split and stacked to replace what I'll burn and keep me 2+ years ahead.

We have electric heat pump and our house is fairly well insulated, so we only burn when we're home. On average we burn 3 cords per year. I just need to get the chimney swept while I'm still upright and not stiff legged in a brace.

Yeah, those braces after an ACL surgery are extremely limiting. Good luck.

You guys still do that over there? Jeepers, get with the times you blokes. Just not necessary, the days of braces or being NWB for 6 weeks post-op went out with the last millennium. ACL rehab is not that difficult - providing you have a competent surgeon and PT.

All the best with the op, @Multifaceted .

Latest posts

Back