Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is my sauna/firepit wood pile. Based off my racks there is about 3 cords worth of storage area (assuming 16” splits) but in reality a little more because many of my splits are 18-20”. Unfortunately very little of it is seasoned because we use most of the good stuff this summer.

There is about a half cord in rounds of aspen/birch/maple and another half cord coming in tonight. Going to fill the empty rack and then get a pile going to fill the next rack as it depletes.

437FFB95-B9F3-414D-8001-BAE8C6234C74.jpeg

Stacked up another cube-and-a-bit of red box in front of the woodshed where it'll get plenty of sun and breeze. I've put a 2-3 inch gap between rows. I think the bricks will work well to allow airflow and keep it off the dirt. I would prefer pallets but I ain't got pallets, I got bricks. I sez to Cowgirl that it is not enough just to have scrounge, it has to look nice as well. She thinks I'm mad. Girls just don't understand.

19th Sep 2.jpg

44 degrees this morning. Good morning to tackle the big logs. A borrowed skid steer and splitter made these big & heavy Oak, Hackberry and Cottonwood way more manageable. A 288Xp handled the bucking.
3cd1a2881db40d1efef83b7ff124d388.jpg
bb57b2273cfdc632df4f1c22b0804c92.jpg
24139566e52bb5f17b546286611f4711.jpg

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Thought I wouldn't be saying this so young, but I am getting too old to keep doing this - out in the heat today to split a few 32"+ red oak rounds. Only managed to wrestle and split three of them into manageable 1/8ths before I was drenched in sweat. Got 1 more round of similar size, then 4 from there to about 40" and 4 from 30" to about 24"; all must be split 2 to 4 more times to reach firewood size. I usually split them all the way down one round at a time, but thought I would do it different this time to see if it would be more productive. We will see. Anyway, I hope I will soon be in better shape with cutting season beginning. Nonetheless, if I didn't like running my old MACs, I would stick with logs under 2' in diameter. Ron

IMG_3742.JPG

Rwoods, get a splitter like mine with the lift and 4 way split. Best thing I have bought in 10 years. So much easier, lifts it all to waist height.
Thought I wouldn't be saying this so young, but I am getting too old to keep doing this - out in the heat today to split a few 32"+ red oak rounds. Only managed to wrestle and split three of them into manageable 1/8ths before I was drenched in sweat. Got 1 more round of similar size, then 4 from there to about 40" and 4 from 30" to about 24"; all must be split 2 to 4 more times to reach firewood size. I usually split them all the way down one round at a time, but thought I would do it different this time to see if it would be more productive. We will see. Anyway, I hope I will soon be in better shape with cutting season beginning. Nonetheless, if I didn't like running my old MACs, I would stick with logs under 2' in diameter. Ron

View attachment 676247

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Rwoods, get a splitter like mine with the lift and 4 way split. Best thing I have bought in 10 years. So much easier, lifts it all to waist height.

That works for me, now to find a nice one for under a grand :).
I'll just noodle them I guess until I find one:chainsaw:, at least I get more saw time that way :D.

44 degrees this morning. Good morning to tackle the big logs. A borrowed skid steer and splitter made these big & heavy Oak, Hackberry and Cottonwood way more manageable. A 288Xp handled the bucking.
3cd1a2881db40d1efef83b7ff124d388.jpg
bb57b2273cfdc632df4f1c22b0804c92.jpg
24139566e52bb5f17b546286611f4711.jpg

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

That is cheating.

We have the same or very similar splitter at our woodlot. We use it to reduce the big rounds to Supersplitter size. The pile in the middle of the picture below is ready for the SSs; all from big rounds split with the skid-steer this summer. The pile is around ten feet high. I am glad my personal inventory of big rounds is minute in comparison. Ron

IMG_3725.JPG

IMG_3720.JPG

Thanks, I don't actually burn enough wood to justify a splitter like I would like to have. I need/want a FEL for my tractor more.

Most of my cutting is done for our local firewood ministry. Until they got the skid-steer splitter, they did not really want much of the bigger stuff so I would keep some from the trees folks give me. Now that they have taken a liking to the bigger stuff, I cut a lot more of it. Don't have much time or energy to cut or split my own. The little I did today should have been done over a year ago.

Ron

I felt the same way until I bought this one. It was 3 grand but it only took 10 hours to split roughly 5 cord with it, no lifting big rounds.
That works for me, now to find a nice one for under a grand :).
I'll just noodle them I guess until I find one:chainsaw:, at least I get more saw time that way :D.

I felt the same way until I bought this one. It was 3 grand but it only took 10 hours to split roughly 5 cord with it, no lifting big rounds.

I buy and sell splitters as I need them so I haven't gone that route yet, maybe after I get my pole building built and have a good place to store one.
The good thing is I have a Japanese lift for when I have the little huskee 22 tons I like, it's called a Kubota, it's not bad to roll a couple into the bucket or into the trailer but a nice worktable would be good too just not as portable.
Here's a picture of my pile a few years ago(it's probably already in this thread), now it's up against the big elm behind the suburban and I've used some of what's behind the trailer, just put a little dent in it.
The trailer is a twenty footer for reference.
Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 10.35.07 AM.png

Latest posts

Back