Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no doubt... he's got a point there! just curious, but how, I say... how do you keep it so meticulously clean? crew come in with air blowers just b4 shutter time? heck, I air blow my patio, work area and general wood cutting spot several times a day... and it's clean mind you... real clean! :)

but not that clean! :)

Just sweep up with a broom when I’m done. Little help from the shop vac too :)

Nice looking setup. Just curious. Appears you split everything pretty small. What stove are you using? Where abouts in IA. ? I sure like the clean organized look! Good work.

I do bust it up pretty small, maybe a little smaller than I’d have to. We just have a Regency insert in our fireplace and the firebox isn’t all that big. If we ever wear this one out, I’ll go up a size. We’re in east central IA near the tiny burg of Morley. Thanks for compliments fellas.

I do bust it up pretty small, maybe a little smaller than I’d have to. We just have a Regency insert in our fireplace and the firebox isn’t all that big. If we ever wear this one out, I’ll go up a size. We’re in east central IA near the tiny burg of Morley. Thanks for compliments fellas.

I know the area. Ive spent many days working on HWY 1 over the years. Dale Stolte ring a bell? Acquaintance of mine who lives/farms just west of ya. Anyway. Interesting how many Iowa guys are online talking about burning wood!

I know the area. Ive spent many days working on HWY 1 over the years. Dale Stolte ring a bell? Acquaintance of mine who lives/farms just west of ya. Anyway. Interesting how many Iowa guys are online talking about burning wood!
Name doesn’t ring a bell, but I’ve only been in this area 10 years or so. Lived in Waverly for 9 years back in the 90’s. It is good to have IA fellas on here

good pix! :) I like that scene, the chunks, the splittin' setup... and of course, that tractor, too! :yes:

how do u get those big chunks up onto the splitter? roll 'em? or?.... just pick them up and carry them over?

I watched a travel show last night. visits to Scotland, having lived in England, it was of interest to me. one segment Highland Games. one game... each contestant had to lift and carry at boulder that weighed 250#s! OMG! :crazy: almost no one could lift it, much less carry it...

but one guy did. made it look like 'child's play!'
I almost always just pick them up, but lately it hurts more than it used to. lol Some I cut in half. I'm looking at tractors with front loader. I want a set of forks and a grapple. Most of my wood now is on pallets so it would be less hand work.

I almost always just pick them up, but lately it hurts more than it used to. lol Some I cut in half. I'm looking at tractors with front loader. I want a set of forks and a grapple. Most of my wood now is on pallets so it would be less hand work.

Think about a skid steer if your not doing any 3pt or pto type work. Meaning if you getting a loader tractor for just the loader, a skid steer is faster, better visibility and heated cabs in the winter. My group of chainsaw jockeys are converting. And when asked how they like it, they all say, they should have never bought the last loader or why didn’t do this sooner.

Meaning if you getting a loader tractor for just the loader, a skid steer is faster, better visibility and heated cabs in the winter.
I agree with this, but another consideration is a log jumping in the cab with you. They can be unpredictable. These piles are almost 8' high. When taking from the bottom the leading edge sometimes gets quite vertical before tumbling. Often turning butt first. Holding the load before backing helps, and the logs are more apt to roll against the load, but not always.IMG_4657.jpgIMG_4661.jpg

I was typically of the same mindset, just pick it up and lay it on the rail. Now that I’m 54, I avoid it as much as possible. A bad back will NOT knit (heal). It was a leading cause of suicide years ago because the medical field just couldn’t fix it. Keep cutting and burning, just work smart. Not trying to be your dad :)

I was typically of the same mindset, just pick it up and lay it on the rail. Now that I’m 54, I avoid it as much as possible. A bad back will NOT knit (heal). It was a leading cause of suicide years ago because the medical field just couldn’t fix it. Keep cutting and burning, just work smart. Not trying to be your dad :)
Excellent advice. At 34 years old I couldn't agree more. (speaking from experience)

Prolly wouldn’t win, but I might make the top 10! Thanks :)

"Ladies and Gentlemen...

now the moment you all have been waiting for...

and the winner for this year of the county's cleanest barn... the # 1 :numberone:spot goes to....

yes, winning two years in a row now... you guessed it!

Mr...... "

lol

Oh to be 54 again, I remember when I wished I was 18 so I could buy beer. lol

Just got a dusting of snow here. I split the little jag I had cut most of which went into the wood box. Snow was easily knocked off as the temp never made it to 30°F. Still sucked but a lot less then 4-5"

Latest posts

Back