Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I especially like how maneuverable it is by hand, yet you can still hook it up to a riding mower or ATV. My only gripe is backing up with it on my riding mower, very tricky with the swivel front end wheel set...
Lol. Yea, I gave up trying to back it up. I just unhook it and move it manually. It still saves a ton of work!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Lol. Yea, I gave up trying to back it up. I just unhook it and move it manually. It still saves a ton of work!

Me too, I only hook it up when I'm really hauling heavier than normal yard loads (from a modest light duty standpoint). Anything that requires a lot of me backing up and dumping, I'll use the light single axel cart. Even my wife loves it, she told me yesterday literally "I love this new cart" while helping me schlep loads of gravel to lay behind our shop.

Holy balls... that's my dream truck, then a 67-72 chevy truck. But for an all around truck you have it! Send it my way :)

Yeah I really like it, pretty thankful, kind of a rare find. Bought it from a friend that put a lot of work into it, he hated to sell it but needed a 4 door. Thought about selling it at one time but there really isn’t anything I would rather have.

Yeah I really like it, pretty thankful, kind of a rare find. Bought it from a friend that put a lot of work into it, he hated to sell it but needed a 4 door. Thought about selling it at one time but there really isn’t anything I would rather have.
I still have those dolmars, jreds, huskys, even some stihls, so don't forget I need a truck, and I was first in line :D.
Holy balls... that's my dream truck, then a 67-72 chevy truck. But for an all around truck you have it! Send it my way :)

Back off Mitch :buttkick::lol:.

Getting a head start on making kindling for this year's burning season. Tulip Poplar, straight grain logs, splits easily. De-barked and split thin to dry quickly. This is about 10 ft³, plan to make about twice as much with what I have. The rest will become fire pit fuel for this summer.

afc1qfb.jpg

ZHTNYkv.jpg

sXZJAeK.jpg

I usually run a double bit when I split my kindling .
Here's a good vid on the explanation .

Awesome truck! I
I usually run a double bit when I split my kindling .
Here's a good vid on the explanation .

Very similar to how I do it, only I use my splitting axe and handheld maul. I'm also starting from logs, using a lower quality, softer wood too (tuliptree or tulip/yellow poplar). I've burned the stuff in the stove before, but I'm so flush with better hardwoods that I'm trying to make the best use of it before it goes punky. I'm also out of place to stack anything split. So, I'm picking the straightest grain, knot-free logs I can find in the small pile I have and am pie cutting them with the splitting axe, then slabbing and splintering off the pieces with the hand-held maul. Everything else I'll just split into regular sized pieces and throw into a pile to burn in the fire pit. Got maybe three dozen or so logs remaining.

The little maul is actually 4 lb in weight, very effective little splitter - sure beats a dinky little hatchet, and is more easily wielded than a light axe. Lately, I've been splitting my chunks off, then sitting down with a block in front of me to slab and split while I sip beer and listen to music while the dogs run around outside.

Me too, I only hook it up when I'm really hauling heavier than normal yard loads (from a modest light duty standpoint). Anything that requires a lot of me backing up and dumping, I'll use the light single axel cart. Even my wife loves it, she told me yesterday literally "I love this new cart" while helping me schlep loads of gravel to lay behind our shop.
Oh you guys! You need to back up a set of 28' wiggle wagons. In my 30 years at UPS I know of one driver that could back a rear set onto a bay door. But, I never got to see him do it. He always said next time when there was less traffic in the yard. But, I retired. He also used to be an Orioles Pitcher.

My Dad bought a brand new 72 Chevy C30 one ton, 12' stake body. When he retired he gave it to me. The rain gutter around the windshield started to leak and every time you closed the door, rust fell in your lap. It still only had 80,000 miles on it. I sold it because no one made replacement body panels back then. Now you can build a whole new cab from new parts. It had a 350, 4 barrel, with a granny four speed. Those duel 7.50X16's made a really strang howling noise when you dumped the clutch at 6,000 R's. Glad he never saw me do that.

Thank you! Yeah, I'm not to picky on the size of kindling only that they are close to the same length for storing. Since we don't burn 24/7 during the winter (except on the weekend) - I tend to light a cold stove every afternoon. I prefer the old fashioned way. Start with a bed of tinder (rolled up newspaper) with some kindling pieces on top. Then smaller pieces of hardwood on top of the kindling. Light and walk away. Come back 5 minutes later and feed small splits until the cat combuster reaches operating temp, then hit the bypass and enjoy the warmth. Thin split, dry tulip poplar catches quick and burns hot and fast.

I do mine fire start ups more or less in a similar fashion. but I use pine needles on top of my paper. then cedar, then pine, then kitchenwood, then larger... I read in the Norwegian wood book about the 'bridge and valley' method. plan on trying that out. several benefits, one less smoke. ok for indoors, but outdoors, more smoke the merrier I say... :D

I got a little more work done on the woodshed yesterday; added a gutter along the back, added the skirt board, and added a board beside the back posts to stack wood between the posts. I plan on having three rows between the post, then filling between those rows with more wood going the opposite direction. This way there will be no pressure on any of the outside walls as the only place wood will be touching is the posts. I'll put wood for the harshest temps in the three rows(about a cord depending on how high I stack them), mainly black locust and white oak.
I'm thinking of making a frame with 2x2 and covering it with sheet metal roofing/siding or HD vinyl sign material to cover the back opening of the bay. I could make it removable and then have a place to store it right under the rafters that they could slide in and out of. I think that would be nice in the simmer when loading it on a hot day so you could open it right up and you could also load it from the back as we did yesterday.
What do you guys think, ideas?
We split this yesterday, it's about 5' high by 5.5' wide and I have a bunch of smaller rounds to put on top which will bring it to over 6' tall.
Screen Shot 2019-06-04 at 1.07.03 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-06-04 at 1.07.34 PM.png

Back