Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had a pine that lost its top a few years ago so I felled it and then split the ****. I moved some limbs with the 4540 so I changed to the bucket and moved some pine to the area I cleared the other day.

The 310 is still giving me problems so I grabbed the 028 WB, it was running nice and throwing some nice chips so I guess I'll use it more often.

Pictures 9483 & 84 are the two fawns we have hanging around, they've been putting on a show running the trails around the house.

We had 46 this morning.

Attachments

• 101_9475.JPG
    101_9475.JPG
    321.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 101_9476.JPG
    101_9476.JPG
    316.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 101_9479.JPG
    101_9479.JPG
    296 KB · Views: 37
  • 101_9480.JPG
    101_9480.JPG
    241.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 101_9483.JPG
    101_9483.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 35
  • 101_9484.JPG
    101_9484.JPG
    828.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 101_9486.JPG
    101_9486.JPG
    274.5 KB · Views: 33
We had a pine that lost its top a few years ago so I felled it and then split the ****. I moved some limbs with the 4540 so I changed to the bucket and moved some pine to the area I cleared the other day. The 310 is still giving me problems so I grabbed the 028 WB, it was running nice and throwing some nice chips so I guess I'll use it more often. Pictures 9483 & 84 are the two fawns we have hanging around, they've been putting on a show running the trails around the house.
We had 46 this morning.

thanks for the mention. missed them first go-around. wondered why all the green shrubbery.... now I know! tucked in nice n neat. is there a momma close by?

View attachment 752390 all this is headed to the wood pile...
View attachment 752389

plus this:
Would you need much heating wood in Texas?
Just asking because we'd never use Oak or other hardwoods for campfires here much.
Just softwoods like our plentiful Pine, Spruce, Fir, Cedar.
Our hardwoods would be used for mid Winter when the thermometer drops to well below freezing.
For example, last year we had bitter cold and temps dropped to -40 C (-40 F) for a few weeks straight.

Would you need much heating wood in Texas?Just asking because we'd never use Oak or other hardwoods for campfires here much.Just softwoods like our plentiful Pine, Spruce, Fir, Cedar.Our hardwoods would be used for mid Winter when the thermometer drops to well below freezing.For example, last year we had bitter cold and temps dropped to -40 C (-40 F) for a few weeks straight.

hi - are you a water marine? or a semper fi Marine?....

no, not too much 'heating wood'... but quite a bit of fireplace burning wood. I only use soft woods in mr Brutus... outdoors campfire. and soft woods is not common. some pine though. primarily its oak. lots of oak here. I get so much oak for a urban location, not in the business... I say 'it rains oak in my neighborhood'. no shortage. I use the term campfire more for need of a noun, more so that like at a camp site in a national park, for example. I only use cedar as kindling or sometimes I use it to kick-start a cold fire. burns too hot! for temps at -40C/F... I would move further south! lol

most down here just up the thermostat... while I have a fire almost every day. even when its 102f out. fire all afternoon today.

hope I have answered your question. if any more, please feel free to ask. many things to like about this AS site... seeing your building skills is, imo... certainly one of them!

in case u r a semper fi Marine...

semper fi!

last night's campfire....
P1220026.JPG
that is all oak.

Nice! Looks like those piles were just dumped in a random spot. Any reason why you chose that spot?
It's an old highway bed so it's good hard ground. It's easier to get the dump truck in if it's wet. With the 6ish acres we have its one of the only flat spots lol.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I went and rented a stump grinder today. Had 6 that were cut off close to the ground but were still a pain. Two yards off fill after and I have a good spot to cut and split those logs up.IMG_20190815_173201859.jpg The three oaks in the back are dead and need to come down.

I've split a half cord or so this week around the splitting area and the bonfire area, as well as cleaned up my cookie cutting area.
I've got enough cookies to burn through the shoulder, and I should fill the bin before we start burning. I had the bin about half full when we started cleaning these up.
Phase two in the splitting area will be to remove the splits for myself and get them stacked in the woodshed, glad for some cooler temps to start working over there, it's looking nice already.
Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 8.05.40 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 8.06.33 AM.png

More firewood to add to the other 3 cords done this month.
It was a dying Red Oak tree that was about 15 minutes from me at an old motel.
I got one cord so far from tops and branches and the main trunk is still standing.
Also there is another larger Red Oak standing behind it that is starting to die as well.
Will try to convince the owner that it should also come down now before it's a dangerous tree to fell.
I like Red Oak, after it's well seasoned and dry of course. That could be 2-3 years away.

P_20190809_103712.jpg

I've split a half cord or so this week around the splitting area and the bonfire area, as well as cleaned up my cookie cutting area.
I've got enough cookies to burn through the shoulder, and I should fill the bin before we start burning. I had the bin about half full when we started cleaning these up.
Phase two in the splitting area will be to remove the splits for myself and get them stacked in the woodshed, glad for some cooler temps to start working over there, it's looking nice already.
View attachment 753571 View attachment 753572
Looks good Brett, you been doing lots of baking, that’s quite a pile of cookies! Lol.
Been delivering some wood to a friends shop, usually unload at my house split it then reload and take it to his shop, this time I thought I would save some time and just split it by hand as I unload at his shop.... now I remember why I have a hydro splitter, lol.2244320C-AEF2-4900-8AB0-A5BCCFA20328.jpegThe fiskars does great splitting but for some reason that seems to bother my back more than anything else. Thankful for the splitter.

View attachment 753571 View attachment 753572
Why all the cookies?

Looks good Brett, you been doing lots of baking, that’s quite a pile of cookies! Lol.
Been delivering some wood to a friends shop, usually unload at my house split it then reload and take it to his shop, this time I thought I would save some time and just split it by hand as I unload at his shop.... now I remember why I have a hydro splitter, lol.View attachment 753614The fiskars does great splitting but for some reason that seems to bother my back more than anything else. Thankful for the splitter.
You know me, I like me some cookies :sweet:.
I split a few rounds of cherry the other day for the neighbor:chop:, it was some of the hardest splitting cherry I've worked with :rare2:, then I pushed the hydraulic splitter over:happybanana:. I have a bunch of straighter grained wood I will be splitting with the fiscars though as the weather cools, I need a workout, but I also want to get things done as quick as possible since I have some goals for cleaning the area up this yr.

Why all the cookies?
Because I'm always testing saws and chains.
Because it’s fun to run saws! :yes:
It is :cheers:.
I just cut more wood. Seems like a lot of work to deal with them
I don't have a lot of room up front to store split wood. The large pile(pile 1) I have will need to be moved/sold so I have a place to put trusses for the pole barn I want to build so I've been hesitant to add much to it. I have at least another 10 cords of red oak rounds out back(pile 2) and 12 or so of various logs(pile 3) out back, then about 3 cords of black locust rounds(pile 4) as well as many dead standing locust trees on the property. I only burn 3.5-4 cord a yr heating almost 100% with wood, we've never started the furnace and been here 9 winter seasons, we do have a pellet stove that does help when it's real cold so the wood stove doesn't have to work to hard, but it's only for a few bags a yr.
Here's a couple test from this week, all different saws, two with the same bar/chain.
Videos of the woodpile splitting area :D.

Latest posts

Back