Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not out buying groceries, nor tp. And, now that the gyms are closed, not playing any RB for a couple weeks. But, my pup and I are still getting our exercise, and we have a 10 year head start on the practice of Social Distancing
That's about what I said! I've been practicing social distancing since the 90's!

Some of you people who have bought truckloads of logs, what have you paid for that?
In Michigan I pay $2,100. for 20 cord of 100" oak logs.
I'm guessing it is trucked about 80 - 100 miles one way, as the logging sites change during the year, and year to year depending on their contracts.
Logs, time (road time, loading and unloading time), and mileage adds up.IMG_4655.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4661.jpg
    IMG_4661.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4657.jpg
    IMG_4657.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 22
I'm guessing it is trucked about 80 - 100 miles one way, as the logging sites change during the year, and year to year depending on their contracts.
Logs, time (road time, loading and unloading time), and mileage adds up.View attachment 807995
How much do you charge for processed firewood? $300 per cord?

While everyone else was out stocking up on TP and hand sanitizer I split a little oak.

View attachment 807425
Me too. I loaded six dump trailers, four for me, two for my buddy. Still have at least one day to go. Hopefully several more days. I got a little screwed on this deal. My buddy’s wife works with the home owner. They had about thirty big Oaks go down in a storm. Two hangers, the rest on the ground. I told them I’d work for $250 a day till done plus whatever Mike needs. He said he would just take a load of wood a day. Then when we got in the truck he said, I hope you left some cash in there for me too? Now I’m working for $150 and he gets $100. Still OK to get paid to haul out straight Oak logs and leave every thing else where it lays.

Logs, time (road time, loading and unloading time), and mileage adds up.View attachment 807995
By the time that's cut and split that's about 50 face cord, correct?

How much do you charge for processed firewood? $300 per cord?
By the time that's cut and split that's about 50 face cord, correct?
Price per cord. I charge $300.
50/3 = 16.666 cord. That's very close. I get about 16 that I sell, and some good shorts and punky, dirty junk that gets bundled on pallets and we burn ourselves. I figure 16 per 20 cord truckload.

Years ago on AS, Curly Cherry did a bench top example.
He cut dowels and stacked in proportional racks.
He then split them and re-stacked.
The result was an increase in volume.
In my opinion this result is correct.

However...it misses the logs to rounds factors. And of course logs are much different than dowels.
May of 2014 I did a logs to rounds, and rounds to splits based on two cords. I shared it on AS in a thread but do not have a clue which one.
Nor do I remember the numbers.
I do remember logs to rounds was a loss of one, to one and a half, face cord (face cord being 1/3 cord).
Rounds to splits was a gain (as Curly Cherry has shown) from there, but no where near the full two cord.

Attachments

• IMG_3049.jpg
    IMG_3049.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3027.jpg
    IMG_3027.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3055.jpg
    IMG_3055.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3062.jpg
    IMG_3062.jpg