Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started splitting some elm today . Sucks long stringy fibers have to push it thru with another log to completely split, that's if its smaller than the wedge .sucks. if its bigger you have to flip it and do it again. Did I mention it sucks . View attachment 815653View attachment 815654
Sucks indeed, but it does burn really well and all those fibers light up quickly when thrown in the firebox...

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Sucks indeed, but it does burn really well and all those fibers light up quickly when thrown in the firebox...

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk
I have burned American elm but it was standing dead for years . Hard but split on the hydrolic splitter just fine.

Got everything split and stacked before Easter. I gave away (donated) a lot Ash rounds but kept enough to put up another 2-3 cords. Currently 8 cords, or 3 years worth of firewood. White Ash, Black Cherry, Red Oak, and Black Locust.

XsWVFST.jpg

GSsx3ZT.jpg

q91WeoE.jpg

Tm4WUK2.jpg

kjkp2tk.jpg

Nice looking saw, and clean, organized work area!

Philbert

Thank you, sir! Woodyard was looking a wretched mess for several months, but with the mild weather and extra daylight hours I've been able to clean it all up. The saw is work in progress, it's a first gen 10-10, rebuilt the fuel line/filter and carburetor, but it's still finicky. I'd say maybe 75% reliable at this point, but she's sure fun to run for a little saw! Not bad for a saw that's older than me.

Started splitting some elm today . Sucks long stringy fibers have to push it thru with another log to completely split, that's if its smaller than the wedge .sucks. if its bigger you have to flip it and do it again. Did I mention it sucks . View attachment 815653View attachment 815654
Hmmm? Elm? Ours does not have the different colors like what you have pictured. Interesting.

Thank you, sir! Woodyard was looking a wretched mess for several months, but with the mild weather and extra daylight hours I've been able to clean it all up. The saw is work in progress, it's a first gen 10-10, rebuilt the fuel line/filter and carburetor, but it's still finicky. I'd say maybe 75% reliable at this point, but she's sure fun to run for a little saw! Not bad for a saw that's older than me.
Is that the saw you got at the GTG? Glad to see ya got it running.

Last firewood load this year.

This is our woodyard. My mate and me.
Ved2020.jpg
We use alder and birch witch is the most common hardwood around here. Also some softwood but not much.
Reason we use wood sacks is it makes it easyer to transport and store when its dry.
We only make firewood for our own consumption, the wood prosessor is a Jappa 700 (old but good) powerd by a Zetor 6711.
20191211_105219.jpg
Logging is done with tractor and winch and only in winter time. Trees are a bit smaler over here, so we mostly use saws in the 40-50 cc range.

20191211_112807.jpg

Got everything split and stacked before Easter. I gave away (donated) a lot Ash rounds but kept enough to put up another 2-3 cords. Currently 8 cords, or 3 years worth of firewood. White Ash, Black Cherry, Red Oak, and Black Locust.

XsWVFST.jpg

GSsx3ZT.jpg

q91WeoE.jpg

Tm4WUK2.jpg

kjkp2tk.jpg
I'm going to have to sneak up there, I don't remember the yellow saw.

Last firewood load this year.

This is our woodyard. My mate and me.
View attachment 816109
We use alder and birch witch is the most common hardwood around here. Also some softwood but not much.
Reason we use wood sacks is it makes it easyer to transport and store when its dry.
We only make firewood for our own consumption, the wood prosessor is a Jappa 700 (old but good) powerd by a Zetor 6711.
View attachment 816110
Logging is done with tractor and winch and only in winter time. Trees are a bit smaler over here, so we mostly use saws in the 40-50 cc range.

View attachment 816111

How does your alder burn up there? Ours is on the wetter side of hardwoods.

XsWVFST.jpg

GSsx3ZT.jpg

q91WeoE.jpg

Tm4WUK2.jpg

kjkp2tk.jpg
that is bad ass. this bad ass means very good very very good.

Ah okay. Yeah I thought you guys had mostly spruce. Here we have a LOT of Sitka Spruce. Doesnt burn great but it burns none the less.
Sitka is common on our coats line. Planted for vind protection some 60-70 years ago. Payed for by the norwegian government.
Today sitka is not "allowed" and they use millions to take it down. Also payed for by the government.
Many think this is wrong use of tax money since it grows well in this type of climate (wet and windy) and makes god wind protection.

Back