Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
then cut it up and swept up the chips for the compost pile...
PA270024.JPG

some more oak I need to get to the wood pile, too. that small load on top is cookin' wood. mesquite from the farm... need that good and hot and under some nice cut steaks! ;)
PA270025.JPG
some chips n drop cuttings for the compost pile...
PA270032.JPG

I can't complain about the (free) junky wood... soon had a real nice fire going for the rest of the day's afternoon chores... may not be SW Idaho... our state hit 103f other day! but to me... feels close! real close!! ~ ;) :givebeer:
PA270026.JPGPA270027.JPGPA270029.JPG

...real close! and I have the big tall pine trees in my yard to back that up! lol ;)

In a typical year, I wrap up my cutting, splitting, stacking in April with the end of cool weather. This year, the weather has stayed cool well into May, the good Governor of PA still has us in lock-down, and Spring storms have brought down some bonus trees. So, yesterday I did some briar dancing and sawing on this bonus Oak that fell right near my stacks:

IMG_8882.jpg

And today, I started splitting this. It was a live Red Oak that uprooted, so this stack might take two seasons to be ready:

IMG_7643.jpg

Still working in long sleeves, temps in the 40's to start, rising into the 50's. If it gets too warm, the lawn needs to be mowed too.

I split the Ash rounds that I brought out of gully yesterday, it gave us another face cord for a total of 12 face cord of Ash in that area. With the Beech,Ironwood,Maple and Cherry stacked out front, that was another 6 face cord for a total of 18 this spring. I still have some rounds of Ash in the gully so I'll get those before the end of May. Since I've been cutting Ash, we have 26 face cord up. We have a total of 60 face cord up with room for another 15 face cord.

We burn Pine in the shoulder season and have a separate area for that, we have 6 face cord up for this year (stacked last summer) and another 6 will be stacked this summer for the years of 2021 & 2022.

The wife ask me today if I could start on bucking up some of the Pine logs from the garage clearing, there goes my break.

Attachments

• 104_0417.JPG
    104_0417.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 15
  • 104_0420.JPG
    104_0420.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 16
  • 104_0419.JPG
    104_0419.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 17
  • 104_0421.JPG
    104_0421.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 16
Yeai..we didn't run out of firewood! That was the only good thing about mild winter (which means damp conditions, overcast skies, mud and that gross brown stuff what is technically snow). Thats's what we have left from 2018 batch.

Though it's been the coldest May I remember, not too many days like this (clear skies, 68F/20C)
image.jpgimage.jpg

Some of this p.o.p. is from the garage clearing and the bigger stuff left is from a pine we had taken down, It's about 78 with the humidity at 37 so it wasn't that bad.

Before I start on what's left, I'll split the rounds and move them over to the outside fireplace.

Attachments

• 104_0438.JPG
    104_0438.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 104_0439.JPG
    104_0439.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 16
In a typical year, I wrap up my cutting, splitting, stacking in April with the end of cool weather. This year, the weather has stayed cool well into May, the good Governor of PA still has us in lock-down, and Spring storms have brought down some bonus trees. So, yesterday I did some briar dancing and sawing on this bonus Oak that fell right near my stacks:

View attachment 829337

And today, I started splitting this. It was a live Red Oak that uprooted, so this stack might take two seasons to be ready:

View attachment 829367

Still working in long sleeves, temps in the 40's to start, rising into the 50's. If it gets too warm, the lawn needs to be mowed too.
looks great...

Yeai..we didn't run out of firewood! That was the only good thing about mild winter (which means damp conditions, overcast skies, mud and that gross brown stuff what is technically snow). Thats's what we have left from 2018 batch.

Though it's been the coldest May I remember, not too many days like this (clear skies, 68F/20C)
View attachment 830062View attachment 830063

PERKELE!

Latest posts

Back