Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is our yard from last week. All done processing last year's wood. Cleaned up now, organized, and ready for the next 100 cord.

Hey, I need like 8-9 people to hit 1,000 subscribers on my YT channel. Help a guy out :)

I hit ya with a like

a5797eaabb4dfece371b17afc212d91f.jpg

We had decided that we would work one hour at the most removing some Hemlock,Elm and a Pine. It was the first time that I can say that the Brook water wasn't cold. The worst part of this job was all the rocks but I didn't hit one on this trip so all was good.

This was the first time the Kubota RTV-X1100C had saws in the back, we took the 028 Wood Boss and the Stihl 311 which I used, I ran Canola Oil in it instead of regular bar oil.

The wife was in the Brook helping out which is always nice, we'll go after the Hemlock that's left another day. There was and still is a **** load of dirt on the Hemlock so I'll bring an extra mudder chain plus a small broom too clean off the log, today I just brushed everything off with my hand.

Attachments

• 104_0584.JPG
    104_0584.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 104_0585.JPG
    104_0585.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 104_0586.JPG
    104_0586.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 104_0587.JPG
    104_0587.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 104_0588.JPG
    104_0588.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 104_0589.JPG
    104_0589.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 29
Got some 2x4s and pallet from work and made another crate. Went out this morning and split enough to fill it also a spot to season it.Put two I had done already with it.IMG_20200710_095359460.jpgIMG_20200712_081608752.jpg I also extended the breather up on the log splitter, tired of it puking hydraulic out every time its not level. I live on a mountain. IMG_20200710_111759113.jpg

f454c3ce0b371c0cc68c3fd504b8e95b.jpg

First impression is wow.... Instant throttle response, chain stops spinning fairly quickly once off the throttle compared to my other saws.

My daughter and I cut 4 logs, which took up all of the rack behind the cutting deck. Using most of the 20" bar. Saw didn't use even close to a full tank, which Ive gotten my daughter in the habit of topping off fluids after 2 logs using the 261, 362 or 462. I don't like running the saws out of fuel and 2 logs will usually use the majority of a tank, depending on the length and diameter of the log.

Trying to bog this 500i down was another story. It doesnt want to bog in the cut. Lean on it, and it doesnt really slow down, just keeps eating. Next time I have it out, Ill see what it takes to get the chain to stop, but I leaned on it harder than I do the 462 where I can stall the chain and this just kept going.

After the initial start of several pulls to get it going, it hadn't been started at the dealer, restarts were a single pull.

I am VERY impressed with it. If it gets better as it breaks in, I could see it being a go-to instead of the 462 or 661 for everyday use.

I picked up a 562XP. After an initial rough start the first week and a half, and what may have been vapor lock on 85°+ days, no more issues after blogging and learning from others (thanks for sharing), even on 94° days. Incredible throttle response, and cutting 3/4 cord per fueling. I've run 5 gal. of mix through it. One pull starts. Love using it!
I'm beginning to run out of room in my rather small wood lot, with about 70 cord on the ground.
Four years ago I tried double stacking pallets, with mixed success. When the top pallet tips over, if stacked directly above another one, the lower pallet splits a side and topples as well, making a half of cord mess.
I am again double stacking, while I still have wiggle room to do so.
Yesterday I tried a couple things, and this morning I had some serious leaners.
I pulled everything down and have started over, this time stacking the top bundle on four lower bundles, or a double stagger.
It requires using fork extensions to do so, but less manual pallet handling than yesterday.
Double pallets on the top row is an added expense.
The flip side is, fewer covers (top row only), and fewer pallets with wet ground contact, which is what destroys them over three to four years from being water logged.
It may in fact prove to be a savings. The covers only last two years due to UV breaking them down, and if double stacking works, 50% fewer covers.
Using two pallets turned 90° to each other utilizes the stringer strength vs relying on the thinner bottom boards of the pallet which easily bow, sag and break under 1,450 pds of green oak, which is where some of the lean comes from.
The bottom row is obviously uneven to start with, and then add some settling over time.

I had considered making wood frames between each lower pallet to carry the weight and level the top row out.
Just not practical cost wise.
I may be pulling all of these down tomorrow, hopefully not.
For now I'm going to add to this.
Two rows of nine pallets per lower row, eight on top. Or 4 1/2 cord in the two lower rows, and 2 cord on top.
Now I can try nine and eight, which is 4 1/4 cord per row.
It's all an experiment...

Edit: Just reread this and looked at the photos.
I'm going to flip the bottom pallet when doubling the top row of pallets and utilize the greater strength in more contact boards to carry the weight on the uneven surface.

Today.IMG_3397.jpgIMG_3396.jpgIMG_3397.jpgIMG_3396.jpg

I picked up a 562XP. After an initial rough start the first week and a half, and what may have been vapor lock on 85°+ days, no more issues after blogging and learning from others (thanks for sharing), even on 94° days. Incredible throttle response, and cutting 3/4 cord per fueling. I've run 5 gal. of mix through it. One pull starts. Love using it!
I'm beginning to run out of room in my rather small wood lot, with about 70 cord on the ground.
Four years ago I tried double stacking pallets, with mixed success. When the top pallet tips over, if stacked directly above another one, the lower pallet splits a side and topples as well, making a half of cord mess.
I am again double stacking, while I still have wiggle room to do so.
Yesterday I tried a couple things, and this morning I had some serious leaners.
I pulled everything down and have started over, this time stacking the top bundle on four lower bundles, or a double stagger.
It requires using fork extensions to do so, but less manual pallet handling than yesterday.
Double pallets on the top row is an added expense.
The flip side is, fewer covers (top row only), and fewer pallets with wet ground contact, which is what destroys them over three to four years from being water logged.
It may in fact prove to be a savings. The covers only last two years due to UV breaking them down, and if double stacking works, 50% fewer covers.
Using two pallets turned 90° to each other utilizes the stringer strength vs relying on the thinner bottom boards of the pallet which easily bow, sag and break under 1,450 pds of green oak, which is where some of the lean comes from.
The bottom row is obviously uneven to start with, and then add some settling over time.

I had considered making wood frames between each lower pallet to carry the weight and level the top row out.
Just not practical cost wise.
I may be pulling all of these down tomorrow, hopefully not.
For now I'm going to add to this.
Two rows of nine pallets per lower row, eight on top. Or 4 1/2 cord in the two lower rows, and 2 cord on top.
Now I can try nine and eight, which is 4 1/4 cord per row.
It's all an experiment...

Edit: Just reread this and looked at the photos.
I'm going to flip the bottom pallet when doubling the top row of pallets and utilize the greater strength in more contact boards to carry the weight on the uneven surface.

Today.View attachment 842595View attachment 842596
How about if you laid some one by or two by on top of the first row to tie it together

So far so good.
May look much different in the morning.
Still have (6) cord to move. 23 1/2 cord in first photo, 94 full pallets, 40 other pallets double stacked upside down and 90° orientation.
And, now I have 54 covers to re-use.
I bought 200 good pallets this past week or this would not have happened, or would have happened much earlier. I'm thinking maybe 200 more in the near future.
The gravel says damp beneath the pallets, which shows in the photo.
Edit: Once I'm done screwing around moving things, staging as I cut/split will be much simpler. Two more loads of logs coming this week or next, plus the pile I'm working on, which is nice stuff. I believe this is going to work for now. Might be bunched up in the spring cutting/splitting before sales start.
IMG_3399.jpgIMG_3400.jpg

Latest posts

Back