Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Little ones helped me get the wood rack restocked before my hernia surgery.
Still more wood to cut and split but that will have to wait a little while. Doc said 6weeks no lifting.
4b885c02463d8d8df3ea8c62f6162fb5.jpg

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

After plowing driveway for second time during this current storm, I set out to make sure the supply lines to my wood piles was open. Here is a little drive-by on the ATV inspecting them:

My wife thinks this is just playing in the snow. As if

Slick trail! Do you typically get back there all winter? Do you drag it? Very nice piles and calming atmosphere. Thanks for the ride!

Slick trail! Do you typically get back there all winter? Do you drag it? Very nice piles and calming atmosphere. Thanks for the ride!

I do get back there pretty much all winter, with an occasional week off due to deep snow. I try to just keep it packed down and take advantage of the packed snow for dragging some of the wood. This part of PA rarely holds a snow pack all winter, and I would expect the current snow to last a week or two before some warming weather with rain will melt it. I did buy a drag harrow a couple years ago, more to level out the trails, but there are too many rocks and roots for that to work, so I sold it. Ultimately, the snow packs in and smooths out the trail while it lasts.

Helping neighbours with some beech the forestry cut for them. The deal was they provided beech for the forestry to plant along the road on the condition that when the forestry were felling the timber crop they would fell and stack the beech for us to cut up. 30 years later and the plan has come to fruition.
2 good size piles.

IMG_0254.JPGIMG_0255.JPG

The oil cap on my 462 came off at the end of the day. Couldnt find it.

The oil cap on my 462 came off at the end of the day. Couldnt find it.
? Brush against something?

I hate the little tethers, which make it hard to drain the tanks, but I try to keep them attached to the caps when (completely) removing them.

Philbert

Scout and went out early and applied the broom to some of the wood I had hopes of sawing and moving through the snow:

IMG_8853.jpg

Back in the afternoon to transport some and start splitting and start a new stack:

IMG_8856.jpg

Still scrapping a little of the center hump with the underside of my JD 15S cart, but it will clear it's own path when its loaded.

Scout and went out early and applied the broom to some of the wood I had hopes of sawing and moving through the snow:

View attachment 887547

Back in the afternoon to transport some and start splitting and start a new stack:

View attachment 887548

Still scrapping a little of the center hump with the underside of my JD 15S cart, but it will clear it's own path when its loaded.

Winter break - Whats that?!

Took eight more rounds off that log - saw ran great, but the guy trying to roll the log out of the snow was struggling a lot. Anyway, the rounds are too heavy for me to lift, so I quarter them on the ground (snow) with the un-named hardware store maul, then split them with the Fiskars on one of the spare blocks. Then haul them to that stacking place. Weather was perfect today for some splitting:

20210206_143750.jpg

As always for the past 12 years, Scout's got my 6

Ground was too wet for the Ash falling I was asked to do, so with the day off I turned my attention to my nasty wood splitting/stacking area and built this sled firewood shed. I modeled it after the dog house I built several years ago. Theoretically it will hold 124 cubic feet - just shy of a cord. I made it to hold three rows with some air space so I am guessing that if will hold 2/3 of a cord or so. After I took the pictures I realized that I forgot to take off the temporary braces. Now I need to buck and split some Red Oak and fill it.

IMG_6126.JPGIMG_6127.JPGIMG_6130.JPGIMG_6132.JPGIMG_6133.JPG

Ron

Latest posts

Back