Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put in Some work at my brother in laws. Definitely thinking about one of those pickeroons you boys love. I use a rake or the Fiskars x27. But after 6 “lil truck” loads. Thinking about getting the right tool

Attachments

• 8690E03A-D78C-4E10-B170-6DDD625EF92C.jpeg
    8690E03A-D78C-4E10-B170-6DDD625EF92C.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 38
  • 58B12620-AF8A-45BD-BAA7-AFCA268396DE.jpeg
    58B12620-AF8A-45BD-BAA7-AFCA268396DE.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 39
I decided to split some of the oak I got today it’s hard stuff if you don’t hit the wedge hard it will just spit it out . So I went to sink it didn’t hit it square and it shot out of the wood and landed 20’ behind me like watching a Nolan Ryan fast ball going by the plate

Attachments

• 586E4497-67A4-488C-8CD9-B8B4AFB4AFB1.jpeg
    586E4497-67A4-488C-8CD9-B8B4AFB4AFB1.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 17
Try doing a saw kerf about the depth of the bar in the top of a round. Set the wedge. Hit once.View attachment 889574
Yeah that would probably work too or I could hit the wedge right who knows at least it went by me cause that would have been a hell of a one to catch

Scout and I are working through the snow. My grandson sat on my lap and steered while we groomed the trails through the woods. Then Scout and I went back to splitting. Making progress. Working in the snow and cold (that would be relative cold compared to several of you guys) is preferable to working in rain or slush.:

IMG_8890.jpg

Picture might look like a repeat of an earlier one, but I assure this is a fresh picture. The oak is splitting very nicely, I get about 40 - 48 splits out of each of these rounds. In this cold, I don't get much of the smell of fresh split oak. And, though I prefer to split beside a stacking point, I don't own the equipment to move the rounds let alone the log. So, I'll quarter them on the ground with maul, then lift to one of the trustee rounds and finish with the Fiskars. Kind of a simple job for a simple man - and one with visual measure of accomplishment.

Looks like that log would have made some fine lumber. But I understand every log can't be turned into lumber.
Definitely would have made for some fine lumber. I hauled several (6 I think) logs from a Chestnut oak and a Red Oak that fell in easier access places (on my lawn) to a mill. This one, as nice and straight as it was would have been prime for that, or to have a portable band saw mill come work it up. But, for me, that would have been an expense, where this process is going to be a revenue opportunity. I understand plenty folks see this as a waste of good wood. So far none of them have offered to show up and mill it for me.

Definitely would have made for some fine lumber. I hauled several (6 I think) logs from a Chestnut oak and a Red Oak that fell in easier access places (on my lawn) to a mill. This one, as nice and straight as it was would have been prime for that, or to have a portable band saw mill come work it up. But, for me, that would have been an expense, where this process is going to be a revenue opportunity. I understand plenty folks see this as a waste of good wood. So far none of them have offered to show up and mill it for me.
Please don't take that as criticism, I've sawn some beautiful logs (even HVBW) into firewood because I didn't have the equipment to move it. It was either that or the burn pile. I've tried to move some short logs with my small trailer and a cheap HF electric winch. It's tough.

You've got a mill? You lucky dog!

Please don't take that as criticism, I've sawn some beautiful logs (even HVBW) into firewood because I didn't have the equipment to move it. It was either that or the burn pile. I've tried to move some short logs with my small trailer and a cheap HF electric winch. It's tough.

You've got a mill? You lucky dog!

Definitely did not take your post as criticism. As I re-read my follow-up post I probably should have been clearer that it wasn't you or your post that set me off on my minor rant.

I don't have a mill, I loaded and hauled those logs to a mill. I feel like I posted some pictures here on that adventure somewhere, but I can't find them. Here is the pictorial summary of that exercise:
IMG_8078.jpg

IMG_8094.jpg

IMG_8099.jpg

IMG_8340.jpg

Took me a lot longer to accomplish than the pictures might suggest. But, there they sit drying for a couple years.

Back