Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I decided to split some of the oak I got today it’s hard stuff if you don’t hit the wedge hard it will just spit it out . So I went to sink it didn’t hit it square and it shot out of the wood and landed 20’ behind me like watching a Nolan Ryan fast ball going by the plate
I've had them do that too. 5lb steel wedge zipping by your ear gets your attention.

That’s certainly concerning for both of you guys. I’d probably ask for a refund at some point.
They actually called me the other day wanting to know if I wanted them to ship the items in my order that were in stock (which I already had them do and have already received... communication at Baileys???). I figure I'll give them until the 19th (newest date I've been given) and if it doesn't ship, I'll probably see if I can find another vendor and cancel my order with Bailey's. All I've got left on the order is that pulp hook and some Husky parts .

Sawing another couple rounds off this oak before the freezing rain starts. I should have put the 24" bar on for these, but didn't. Spent more time back and forth across the log than it would have taken to make the switch.

(3 minutes of Dolmar throwing chips)

Question for you folks: How long do you let a saw warm up before laying the wood? You can see I let it sit there for all of 15 seconds or so.

I like Beech to burn.
Cutting/splitting they are often hollow or punky, and a bit of trash.
But the limb wood is fantastic.
And burning, the thin bark leaves little ash.
Long hot burns!
Beautiful trees, although not around buildings due to the often hollowness.
Great for birds.
We have several pair wood ducks nesting in them every year.

Here is a rare look at ice and snow at my place luckily we still have power I am surprised. Our hackberry I used for shade fell but that’s to be expected they grow along fence lines and ditches they fall on power lines all the time. I park my truck there to but never in bad weather.

Attachments

• FA003DB8-DAAE-4BF5-B595-C84C54B891F6.jpeg
    FA003DB8-DAAE-4BF5-B595-C84C54B891F6.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 55
  • EEC1DCFE-E096-46CC-B248-68158674BC5B.jpeg
    EEC1DCFE-E096-46CC-B248-68158674BC5B.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 51
  • 89869E31-373D-4825-B616-8DF98BD3A881.jpeg
    89869E31-373D-4825-B616-8DF98BD3A881.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 53
I think beech being hollow is a regional thing. I have a friend in Denmark that logs beech on the regular. Hardly ever had a hollow one. Around me they start to get hollow at 18” diameter
Seems the dying oaks here on my hill top are being replaced by beech and birch. Some of the beech here are getting quite old, having started when the oaks were cut for making charcoal for the iron forges locally for making arms and armament for the revolutionary war. I haven't encountered a beech tree that is hollow, diseased, weakened, nor fallen for any reason. There are several here in the woods behind my house well over 30" diameter. So, I'd have to agree, there must be regional differences. Since I only harvest dead trees, or storm fallen trees, I've never cut nor used beech for firewood, so I can't comment on that.

Question for you folks: How long do you let a saw warm up before laying the wood? You can see I let it sit there for all of 15 seconds or so.
30 to 60 seconds and by blipping the throttle I check the saw accelerates properly. I try not to be too 'ritualistic' but sometimes I've touched cylinder fins with bare fingers to feel if the top end is warm :D

My life, and my posts are getting repetitive. Yesterday was a gorgeous mid-Winter day here in PA, bright sun, temps in the 20's and I was entertaining my 4 year old grandson. Eventually he got cold and went in the house, and Scout and I split the last of my sawed wood (well except my chopping block).
IMG_8921.jpg

And, if it's Monday - It must be snowing. Had hoped to get this little load moved and stacked before it got lost in the next round of Winter weather.
IMG_8922.jpg

Curious if anyone has a secret for keeping the ATV seat clear while working in the snow. I had an old towel in the shed I laid over it while loading, that was partially effective.

My life, and my posts are getting repetitive. Yesterday was a gorgeous mid-Winter day here in PA, bright sun, temps in the 20's and I was entertaining my 4 year old grandson. Eventually he got cold and went in the house, and Scout and I split the last of my sawed wood (well except my chopping block).
View attachment 891190

And, if it's Monday - It must be snowing. Had hoped to get this little load moved and stacked before it got lost in the next round of Winter weather.
View attachment 891191

Curious if anyone has a secret for keeping the ATV seat clear while working in the snow. I had an old towel in the shed I laid over it while loading, that was partially effective.
Keep your butt on the seat lol. I have a small canvas tarp I toss over the tractors seat and console to keep snow/water off it when I'm out in inclement weather. Works decently well. As long as there isnt too much wind. I'd assume something along those lines would work on a atv as well.

Slick trail! Do you typically get back there all winter? Do you drag it? Very nice piles and calming atmosphere. Thanks for the ride!

I do get back there pretty much all winter, with an occasional week off due to deep snow. I try to just keep it packed down and take advantage of the packed snow for dragging some of the wood. This part of PA rarely holds a snow pack all winter, and I would expect the current snow to last a week or two before some warming weather with rain will melt it. I did buy a drag harrow a couple years ago, more to level out the trails, but there are too many rocks and roots for that to work, so I sold it. Ultimately, the snow packs in and smooths out the trail while it lasts.
Against the statistical odds, and the global warming, we still have snow in the woods, and it refreshes every couple days. So, yesterday, with the help of my grandson we opened another new trail to capture a nice straight, dead, hardwood tree to use as the rails to stack another pile on. This morning, it started snowing again, and dumped another 6" of snow in relative short timeframe. I'll be doing another of my February weekly repeats: Groom Trails, saw a tank of fuel, split and stack. Dragging the long pole would not have been hard at all, but the snow made it even easier:

About 2:30 of relatively tame driving a small tractor through the snow and onto better groomed tail with a 4 year old sitting on my knee and handling the steering

Latest posts

Back