Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good set up, I like it. :) plenty chunks, hand splitting the stix... stone fire ring, fire going... barrels bit off the grnd... nice camp! fall scene... rolling hills, reminds me of infantry training at USMC OCS Quantico, VA... take it easy! u may have lots of scrounges, but u only got one body! :)

in the meantime... keep up the good work!:yes:

- definitely some good looking firewood! -

Many thanks! On a sunny, chilly day it's a great place to do some work and listen to some tunes. I worked till dusk so got a bit more done than what is shown in the pic, but was also constantly feeding the burn barrels trying to get to some of the old punky logs that we've accumulated. Afterwards, I just sat on a log by the fire and had two beers while the sun set. Feels good to be (somewhat) back to normal. Every day gets easier. Thank you for your service, my grandfather of my same name was a USMC Captain, served in WWII Pacific Theater.

rps20181217_165750_862.jpg

Hit the pile again this morning for an hour and a half. Got everything I bucked up yesterday split and stacked. Pile is almost done. 2 rows 26' long with 10-12" in the middle of randomly stacked pieces. I might add another pallet or two at the top end though. I need to pack wood in wherever I can.

Rebuilt a cutting bench that desperately needed it. I've been using it for maybe five years and cobbled it up a few times to get by. Started by adding some cross pieces underneath so I can lift it to move it easier with fork extensions. Then decked the entire thing with 4" x 6" x 8' so it can handle short, odd ball lengths. Works good. The last photo is what it look like a year ago when the sacrificial part was new. That will get replaced soon on both benches. The red straps were a temporary fix at the time and held a cross piece in place to get forks under. Moved both benches this week to get a semi in and out, and also when log trucks come in.IMG_9979.jpgIMG_9982.jpgIMG_9981.jpgIMG_4513.jpg
EDIT: The holes in the front are for using a peavey to push or pull the log up to the stop block.

having trouble with mine as we speak. Bout over it.

The first thing I noticed about the new engine was how much quieter it was, the second thing was the power and speed of the ram. The third and probably the best, was the exhaust or lack of. There was barely any smell or fumes @ all from the engine.

Weather has been nice so I split a couple cords. Cut this pile in the spring when we cut a woods for a guy. Mostly sugar maple and elm. Some white oak(rare for my area), birch, and basswood. I am lucky my buddy I have the equipment to leave it in long lengths, usually 8', and can pie it up until we have the time. He has 40 acres and I have 5 so I only keep about 10 cord ready and 10 cord in log form. The rest we store in his gravel pit. We didn't do a great job cutting these flush and there were some big ones as well. So I have my mess pile off to the side. These are either too large for my cutting deck or they won't roll. I'll pick them up with the skidsteer and cut them too length. I don't noodle much so I'll stand my splitter on end and do them vertically if they are too big to lift and split with the SS.splits.jpg split.jpg bigs.jpg pile.jpg

Weather has been nice so I split a couple cords. Cut this pile in the spring when we cut a woods for a guy. Mostly sugar maple and elm. Some white oak(rare for my area), birch, and basswood. I am lucky my buddy I have the equipment to leave it in long lengths, usually 8', and can pie it up until we have the time. He has 40 acres and I have 5 so I only keep about 10 cord ready and 10 cord in log form. The rest we store in his gravel pit. We didn't do a great job cutting these flush and there were some big ones as well. So I have my mess pile off to the side. These are either too large for my cutting deck or they won't roll. I'll pick them up with the skidsteer and cut them too length. I don't noodle much so I'll stand my splitter on end and do them vertically if they are too big to lift and split with the SS.View attachment 692260 View attachment 692261 View attachment 692262 View attachment 692263
Most years I have chunked everything and split in the spring. Due to being so far behind this year I have been alternating cut a load or a day. Split and stack or pile in the appropriate place.

That said it feels slow but I am finding the mixing it up is much easier on me! Probably get back to stock piling chunks again but we'll see.

Most years I have chunked everything and split in the spring. Due to being so far behind this year I have been alternating cut a load or a day. Split and stack or pile in the appropriate place.

That said it feels slow but I am finding the mixing it up is much easier on me! Probably get back to stock piling chunks again but we'll see.

This year I decided to do the smaller logs first and save the bigger stuff for last. Most of what I cut is under 20% if I have it split by spring and out in the open. Last year I put in the green house and it worked really well. Most of what I put in there is under 15% and I didn't fill it until summer. I'll have it filled by April this year and just leave the box elder/shoulder wood outside. I've got some oak that will be 3 years dry next fall as a crutch if something goes wrong.

I've got enough stocked up that I won't be doing much if it's cold besides cutting a couple woods that I need frozen ground for. That's not that crazy cause we got in 8' lengths and just save the bucking for later. I run 24" splits and my buddy runs 16"(?) so it works good for the both of us.

Back