Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 690817

Hit the pile again this morning for an hour and a half. Got everything I bucked up yesterday split and stacked. Pile is almost done. 2 rows 26' long with 10-12" in the middle of randomly stacked pieces. I might add another pallet or two at the top end though. I need to pack wood in wherever I can.

western WI, I guess so. good pix, I like that set up! :) you heat with wood only?

Rebuilt a cutting bench that desperately needed it. I've been using it for maybe five years and cobbled it up a few times to get by. Started by adding some cross pieces underneath so I can lift it to move it easier with fork extensions. Then decked the entire thing with 4" x 6" x 8' so it can handle short, odd ball lengths. Works good. The last photo is what it look like a year ago when the sacrificial part was new. That will get replaced soon on both benches. The red straps were a temporary fix at the time and held a cross piece in place to get forks under. Moved both benches this week to get a semi in and out, and also when log trucks come in.View attachment 690887View attachment 690888View attachment 690889View attachment 690890
EDIT: The holes in the front are for using a peavey to push or pull the log up to the stop block.

I noticed it over in Scrounging. was going to ask about it. nice rework! sure does look SOLID! uh-huh! :yes:

Got some more power for the old, tired splitter motor. The B&S was bogging in big logs. Not bad at all for $99.99 on sale and 20 mins. to swap.Starts and runs perfectly and the ram moves faster w no bogging @ all........
View attachment 691321
View attachment 691322

nice upgrade, I keep all the moving metal parts to my splitter's splitting ops well lubed. no rust or dry slides, steel, I beam on my splitter. even the wedge and the wood's split location, too. my... what a dif it can make. what was not splitting on the pass, splits with ease. I use 140 gear, anti-seize, even 40HD engine oil, new... depends on what it needs where n when...

Weather has been nice so I split a couple cords. Cut this pile in the spring when we cut a woods for a guy. Mostly sugar maple and elm. Some white oak(rare for my area), birch, and basswood. I am lucky my buddy I have the equipment to leave it in long lengths, usually 8', and can pie it up until we have the time. He has 40 acres and I have 5 so I only keep about 10 cord ready and 10 cord in log form. The rest we store in his gravel pit. We didn't do a great job cutting these flush and there were some big ones as well. So I have my mess pile off to the side. These are either too large for my cutting deck or they won't roll. I'll pick them up with the skidsteer and cut them too length. I don't noodle much so I'll stand my splitter on end and do them vertically if they are too big to lift and split with the SS.View attachment 692260 View attachment 692261 View attachment 692262 View attachment 692263

nice, enjoyed the show! thanks for posting...

no 8'ft'rs for me yesterday! lol. I have tackled some here in town. out at farm or at neighbor's they can show up... oak. but was too cold out to go work in yard in shorts, and too warm to stay inside, but just perfect to go... scrounge some firewood. I went and got some, well I guess there were a couple of 8'r's... maybe 10'-12'. just, lol... not the diameter some of you guys r used to. but oak is oak. and none of it needed splitting. nor seasoning. fireplace ready! mostly use this stuff for my outdoor fireplace. runs spring, summer, fall and... winter, too.

got about 1/12th of a cord, this is headed to my woodpile by outdoor fireplace. also got couple cu ft of 3/4" to 1" oak for tween the kindling and the sitx... so I cut this off my logging rig, into wheelbarrow on side of my road. then came out and cleaned up all the sawdust, which... lol :laughing: is prob what some of you just might think my wheelbarrow is full of. lol... trust me, it's not. :)

about 1/13th cord of oak as shown...couple hours work, fire up to clean up
P6080034.JPG P6080035.JPG P6080036.JPG P6080037.JPG

ps: I used full screen to make them look like high mountain logged logs... ;) stuff like this is constant in my neighborhood. if I have to go too far, I usually pass. I don't have to look too far... bought 1/2 cord 40 yrs ago, and haven't bought any since... ;)

western WI, I guess so. good pix, I like that set up! :) you heat with wood only?

As of early this week yes. For now anyway. Just got the new Lamppa Kuuma furnace installed. Our old furnace had an electric backup unit installed in the plenum, which I may switch over to the new furnace at some point. The old one would only burn for 3 hours max, so the electric was a necessity. This one has no problem running for 12 hours, so I don't think the electric will ever get used. It's be nice to have it there just in case though.

I got a small load of white birch split yesterday. Today I stacked it.IMG_20181231_092541748_HDR.jpg IMG_20181231_103628238.jpgI through some red oak in because I have plenty.All the oaks in the back with red ribbon are dead from gypsy moths.Not much energy today, looks like I start the new year with a cold.HAPPY NEW YEARS ALL.

How’s the kuuma running now you had a few weeks to dial it in. Like I’ve said before. I’ll be getting one next year. Was there much of a learning curve to get optimal performance?

Actually I only brought it home on the 21st and I'm far from an expert on the electrical and HVAC side of things, so I'm still getting everything buttoned up. It's been running non-stop since last Friday, so I am just starting to get the hang of it. For now there's a couple things I'm hoping to improve about my installation, so I'm mostly reserving judgement until I get it all the way set up. I will say though that the burn times are very impressive. I load it up at 10:00 at night and still have plenty of coals at 8:00 in the morning. The house has generally dropped to 68 by then, but our house is poorly insulated and has single pane windows.

Finally getting after this pile of oak, hickory, beech, sugar maple and a little bit of ironwood. Started cutting the weekend before Christmas. Everything in the pictures was logs when we started.

Plan is to get it all cut and then start splitting. Because its warm and nothing is frozen, going to have to stack were it's at.
c732b5303806d2b8282bbe689450d730.jpg
68515f6e2c490bc6a7788028e8c4b02d.jpg
6d79432206d1686d028c243071c8efcf.jpg

sent from a field

Finally getting after this pile of oak, hickory, beech, sugar maple and a little bit of ironwood. Started cutting the weekend before Christmas. Everything in the pictures was logs when we started.

Plan is to get it all cut and then start splitting. Because its warm and nothing is frozen, going to have to stack were it's at.
c732b5303806d2b8282bbe689450d730.jpg
68515f6e2c490bc6a7788028e8c4b02d.jpg
6d79432206d1686d028c243071c8efcf.jpg

sent from a field

nice presentation. I like the rural setting. nice grasses.... I see ur wooden work table, bench set up. would like to see more of it and how u use it in your splitting ops...

Back