Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He lives in Lancaster Ohio close to Columbus. I live in the country right in the middle of the state. Closest big city is Fresno about a hour away
In the mid 90's I was in Columbus 4-6 times a week making deliveries(usually cereal) and picking up loads.
I was born in southern Cali, Glad I'm here now though it's a nice place to visit :havingarest:.

Been there had several buddies that where there. Good pizza at spankys
Wouldn't know, been a few yrs, since I was 1 lol.
Been to San Diego and a bunch of other places between there LA, Inland, and up to Mt. High snow boarding. That was in 02, while ago too, I'm old :laugh:.

dfb513abe843df516d9aa02f02d80871.jpg

Helped out a friend today.

On Halloween our area had a freak storm with high winds, knocked the top of a dead oak near my house. This was a problem tree that I have concluded after consulting with various experts, including @rarefish383 that it needed to be climbed and pieced down. The whole tree leaned toward the house with a huge crotch Y-junction that arched over my driveway. It was a snag situation no matter how you sliced it. Well, as I already mentioned, the top came down within mere feet of my house, the only damage was a baseball sized hole in my attached garage door from a limb-missile upon impact. Turns out that just below that crotch, and about 8' down it was totally hollow and rotted, that's why it came crashing down.

What is funny is that I contracted an arborist to climb and piece it down, they put me on a filler schedule and called the day before, but I couldn't make it over in time to remove some fencing and declined. The next day, the top came down leaving a 60' totem with a clear lay... just saved me a few hundred $$. Got a decent amount of wood from the top, but gave it to my buddy who lives nearby and is just starting out with a woodstove to heat his home. Filled his entire 6' bed of his truck. Decided to take down the remaining standing totem pole today, needed an excuse to break out the 461...

baBdtgD.jpg

C0Zo5pO.jpg

AUC55lZ.jpg

dnAbFqx.jpg

Tz3geco.jpg

My log pile is growing again, was a little bigger early this spring, but split and stacked it all. There is some logs from a medium sized black cherry and a very large black locust that I felled back in July, but here it is with the oak added to it. Need to get to work soon because I have a LOT of ash to take down in the next few weeks.

pEQHTSS.jpg

t72yltW.jpg

I was able to split some of the bigger rounds of pine and move them over to the outside fireplace today.

Hopefully Monday we have a nice fire going in the outside fireplace with this pine.

Attachments

• 101_9855.JPG
    101_9855.JPG
    293.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 101_9856.JPG
    101_9856.JPG
    268 KB · Views: 26
  • 101_9857.JPG
    101_9857.JPG
    201.6 KB · Views: 25
On Halloween our area had a freak storm with high winds, knocked the top of a dead oak near my house. This was a problem tree that I have concluded after consulting with various experts, including @rarefish383 that it needed to be climbed and pieced down. The whole tree leaned toward the house with a huge crotch Y-junction that arched over my driveway. It was a snag situation no matter how you sliced it. Well, as I already mentioned, the top came down within mere feet of my house, the only damage was a baseball sized hole in my attached garage door from a limb-missile upon impact. Turns out that just below that crotch, and about 8' down it was totally hollow and rotted, that's why it came crashing down.

What is funny is that I contracted an arborist to climb and piece it down, they put me on a filler schedule and called the day before, but I couldn't make it over in time to remove some fencing and declined. The next day, the top came down leaving a 60' totem with a clear lay... just saved me a few hundred $$. Got a decent amount of wood from the top, but gave it to my buddy who lives nearby and is just starting out with a woodstove to heat his home. Filled his entire 6' bed of his truck. Decided to take down the remaining standing totem pole today, needed an excuse to break out the 461...

baBdtgD.jpg

C0Zo5pO.jpg

AUC55lZ.jpg

dnAbFqx.jpg

Tz3geco.jpg

My log pile is growing again, was a little bigger early this spring, but split and stacked it all. There is some logs from a medium sized black cherry and a very large black locust that I felled back in July, but here it is with the oak added to it. Need to get to work soon because I have a LOT of ash to take down in the next few weeks.

pEQHTSS.jpg

t72yltW.jpg
Love it when that happens, just wish it would happen more often lol.
I had a few trees that happened with in the storm that hit us here, trees I would have had to climb or I would have damaged other trees if I just dropped them.
This cherry was leaning out over the road and was entangled in another tree, it would have been a nice one for a lift or it would have needed to be rigged out. The wind brought it down against its lean and pulled it out of the other tree, when it came down it missed all my newly planted Norway Spruce :clap: and it knocked a couple limbs off a box elder I wanted down. I would have needed to climb the box elder and dropped two limbs, the ones the cherry took down :rock:.
Bummer is I lost the "rainbow" elm which was a save tree for the time being :cry:.
Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 11.34.06 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 11.31.08 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 11.32.47 PM.png
Once I cleared out all the debris I had a nice shot for the box elder, didn't even need a wedge or the tractors help, and it cleared my maple to the left of it easily.
Nice when things work out like that!
Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 11.36.14 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 11.36.38 PM.png

Do you like mesquite it seems a little strong for my tasting?

hi MS - sure. especially to cook over once wood is in hot coals state/condition. sizzlin'! a couple small chunks wetted and put on charcoal coals smokes nicely especially if a hood is avail to cover meats.

I bought a pallet of cinder blocks to build a level landing to stack my firewood. I was going ti use the rest for an 8-10' fire ring. But I have a big pile of brush to burn first. Then my friend asked for a cord of wood. The wood I wanted to give him is in my wood shed, so it needs to be stacked and measured. I had the block on my little trailer parked on the court. He's picking it up on the court. So I tried this. Seems to work well. Cinder block is so cheap, I think when I get the landing empty, I'll build block supports. They'll last the rest of my life. A year or so back some one asked if anyone ever counted how many splits were in a cord? I split my wood kind of small so "girls can handle it". My little JD cart holds 90 splits, this is the third load. Any guesses? This rack is measured 64 cubic feet, half cord. Going to do a full cord.20191111_083534.jpg

Back