Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always a work in progress. I barely have a nickle in the sheds. I'm a sucker for free crate wood. Probably going to get the next load of logs to the right of the woodshed so I can work on the driveway and cut down some more trees. Not enough sunlight for my liking... Good for mushrooms though

Attachments

• 20190916_181513~2.jpg
    20190916_181513~2.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 77
  • 20190212_151554.jpg
    20190212_151554.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 78
  • 20181230_125244_HDR.jpg
    20181230_125244_HDR.jpg
    8.6 MB · Views: 80
Even with a big tractor and Timberwolf splitter I'm getting slower and slower getting ahead of my firewood for next year. Turned 50 and my motivation is non existent anymore. I use to go through a pile of logs real quick by my self. Now days I just go slow and smoke cigars sometimes stop and have a deep conversation with my dog about why in the hell I do this .... he of course just laughs at me and can't figure out why we don't just stop at one split and play fetch lol IMG_2541.jpg IMG_2536.jpg IMG_2533.jpgIMG_2543.jpg IMG_2541.jpg

Even with a big tractor and Timberwolf splitter I'm getting slower and slower getting ahead of my firewood for next year. Turned 50 and my motivation is non existent anymore. I use to go through a pile of logs real quick by my self. Now days I just go slow and smoke cigars sometimes stop and have a deep conversation with my dog about why in the hell I do this .... he of course just laughs at me and can't figure out why we don't just stop at one split and play fetch lol View attachment 778273 View attachment 778271 View attachment 778269View attachment 778272 View attachment 778273

snap out of it captjack! :) I'm 52 and chomping at the bit to get out every day and split firewood. I'm still a rookie with firewood... hence the niave work ethic :) Today I trucked in 6 cords of hardwood and 35 16ft spruce. Happy as a clam. Planning tomorrow's day.

Plan your work, then work your plan.

20191207-spruce-saw-logs.jpg

20191207-firewood.jpg

Yeah I have been doing this a long time now. Just for personal use, I don't sell it. I have a great hook up with a tree service and get all oak logs. All I do is take a trailer and pick it up, no more logging out of the woods thank the Lord. Im spoiled for sure. The plan for next year is to get about 10 -15 cords of logs, buck them all up then have a wood splitting party at the farm. My friends in the city like to get out and do stuff like this - so by the beer and have them over for a splitting party hahahah I will circle back and tell you if it works haha As you know having several people REALLY speeds up production. Hell just having someone bringing rounds to the splitter over doubles my production.

The wood splitting party only works a few times and they catch on that it’s actual work. My four brothers haven’t come to one gathering at my house in years because of wood splitting parties

only kidding. They do show up once in a while. I provide 10 cord for my parents every year and my wife is pretty good at shaming my brothers into giving me some help.
Life happens and I don’t have the time to do 50 cord a year. Haven’t sold wood in at least 5 years and barely can get time to split for two households

I remember you saying it would not take long. lol Been there to many times. Make sure you tell him he is not alone.

The ends were a problem with some reverse slope on the cribs. I wasn't sure it would be able to take much tapping without the ends giving way. Stihl, there's no better way to learn than by trying it yourself. I'm also pleased that he has asked for an axe for Christmas (just as long as he doesn't use it on his sister).

I don't typically process Birch = I don't like how it tends to go soft under the bark before it seasons properly. But, this one fell across one of my prime access paths, so it had to be cut and moved. Anyway, I have this lonely stack of birch among all the oak. With luck, it will find a home to warm in a year or so.

IMG_6895.jpg

I don't typically process Birch = I don't like how it tends to go soft under the bark before it seasons properly. But, this one fell across one of my prime access paths, so it had to be cut and moved. Anyway, I have this lonely stack of birch among all the oak. With luck, it will find a home to warm in a year or so.

View attachment 781893
@Jere39 I had a bunch of birch in my wood pile at the beginning of the cold weather that had been under cover, split and stacked for at least 2 years. That was as good as oak and had a nice coal bed the following morning after 8 hours. Solid birch that is split right away after cutting and giving it a couple of years is great firewood. YMMV

@Jere39 I had a bunch of birch in my wood pile at the beginning of the cold weather that had been under cover, split and stacked for at least 2 years. That was as good as oak and had a nice coal bed the following morning after 8 hours. Solid birch that is split right away after cutting and giving it a couple of years is great firewood. YMMV

Key words might be "under cover".

Back