Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You east coast guys are such wood snobs. ;)

No black or silver birch up here but I’ll scrounge the other ones every chance I get. Supposedly silver is less dense than white.
Guilty as charged. Oak, preferably white, and hickory for me. I’m too far ahead to be dealing with inferior species. :laugh:

Here’s 2 videos of my operation . Please support my channel by likening comment and subscribing , and I will do the same for anyone who’s building a channel.

John, what part of Orange County? I work in Middletown and live right over the border in Sullivan County

F04573D2-D4E8-44C5-A409-A6C39C8A2B5A.jpeg Got to split some red and white oak today. The wife likes to help but can only stand at the controls for a short time, she had foot surgery this year. I don’t split a lot, but have been working on cutting down all the trees that have damage from the ice storm from 2008. I give most of the split wood to my elderly neighbor after it seasons. If he has his pile cleaned up I will take the green wood up to season on his property. He used to help me but his health has really gone down and his wife has memory issues. I keep the good white oak for the smoker. Hope everyone has a safe New Year!

View attachment 784382 Got to split some red and white oak today. The wife likes to help but can only stand at the controls for a short time, she had foot surgery this year. I don’t split a lot, but have been working on cutting down all the trees that have damage from the ice storm from 2008. I give most of the split wood to my elderly neighbor after it seasons. If he has his pile cleaned up I will take the green wood up to season on his property. He used to help me but his health has really gone down and his wife has memory issues. I keep the good white oak for the smoker. Hope everyone has a safe New Year!

Great wood shed! Nice that you help out the oldies next door.

oSAg9xO.jpg

1NUBflH.jpg

GFpyDtZ.jpg

FqOXEeo.jpg

NsSp88W.jpg

kJSkNe0.jpg

Turned this:
View attachment 784670

Into this:
View attachment 784668

@chipper1 I believe you had asked about my wood hatch door. This is what it looks like from the inside.
View attachment 784674
Looks beautiful up there, all the snow here may melt again :baba:.
Thanks for the picture. Hope to make something like that but a little different.
There's a couple windows next to the woodstove, I plan on putting my wood holder(an old entertainment center made of 3/4" oak plywood) right in front of the window, then build a little insert to protect the frame of the window that can be removed. I'm hoping to be able to open the window from outside and then fill the rack from the porch, should make a lot less of a mess inside.

Dad got tired of not having the right tool with him when he was down in the log yard so he b uilt himself a mobile workshop. It's on a pallet that he can pick up with his carry all and drop it wherever it's out of the way. View attachment 784943 View attachment 784944
Now that’s just showing off! But very good idea, tell you dad he has a world wide following:hi:

al-k, a third prong is really handy for cutting rounds with your forks. I leave mine on all the time now. I use a piece of aluminum angle with a 1/2" hole every 15 1/2" apart and hit it with marking paint for the length. Fast, accurate and easy to make consistent cuts.

Attachments

• 20191226_140906.jpg
    20191226_140906.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 38

Latest posts

Back