Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just before the covid stuff screwed every thing up. I brought home 6 dump trailer loads of 8' Oak logs. I split and stacked about 3 cords. I also had a dump trailer load of dead White Pine, in between the loads of Oak.. My cousin said he would come get it, so I split it for him, and kind of tossed it on top of one of the piles of logs so he wouldn't have to bend to pick it up. I finished most of the Oak I could get to yesterday. It rained all night and this morning quite hard. This afternoon the rain dropped off, and it was actually nice wood working weather. I took the JD X540 over the hill with the little JD trailer on it. Figured I would bring the pine up on the court where my cousin could get it. I live on the top of a hill with all shale under a little grass. I can usually drive around the yard an hour after it rains. We've had an invasion of Japanese Stilt grass. It's very week rooted. As I drove down the hill the tractor just took off sliding ripping up the Stilt grass. With the rear axle locked I made it up the hill with one small load of Pine. Tearing up grass all the way. I had planned on taking a load of Pine up, dumping a FEL load of noodles on the compost pile, then piling bark on the fire pit, and drinking a beer as the bark burned. Repeat, till I was done, or it got dark. The hill was so sogging wet I got zero done today. Well, there is always tomorrow.

Was having trouble loading the pics. heres the splitting area when we dumped the last load, then almost clean, then today.
ZA4x0gR.jpg

rT5XYD0.jpg

qPxyAMz.jpg

Just before the covid stuff screwed every thing up. I brought home 6 dump trailer loads of 8' Oak logs. I split and stacked about 3 cords. I also had a dump trailer load of dead White Pine, in between the loads of Oak.. My cousin said he would come get it, so I split it for him, and kind of tossed it on top of one of the piles of logs so he wouldn't have to bend to pick it up. I finished most of the Oak I could get to yesterday. It rained all night and this morning quite hard. This afternoon the rain dropped off, and it was actually nice wood working weather. I took the JD X540 over the hill with the little JD trailer on it. Figured I would bring the pine up on the court where my cousin could get it. I live on the top of a hill with all shale under a little grass. I can usually drive around the yard an hour after it rains. We've had an invasion of Japanese Stilt grass. It's very week rooted. As I drove down the hill the tractor just took off sliding ripping up the Stilt grass. With the rear axle locked I made it up the hill with one small load of Pine. Tearing up grass all the way. I had planned on taking a load of Pine up, dumping a FEL load of noodles on the compost pile, then piling bark on the fire pit, and drinking a beer as the bark burned. Repeat, till I was done, or it got dark. The hill was so sogging wet I got zero done today. Well, there is always tomorrow.

A lot of my land is just pure bog. I often need a few weeks of dry weather to able to get up some hills.

I see I’m not the only cutting California black oak, good score.

When we first got our mountain land, this trailer was already there.
View attachment 823854
that looks like pine, too bad about the single wide! Bark beetles went through about 3 yrs ago, the view around here has been very dynamic recently!

I hauled the splitter up the hills today and split all the rounds I had bucked up. I also have some left from the first four trees I felled split & stacked but I don't think there's enought for another two face.

Attached are some pictures from today, it rained some when I was splitting the second tree today but it didn't last long.

Attachments

• 104_0284.JPG
    104_0284.JPG
    365 KB · Views: 14
  • 104_0285.JPG
    104_0285.JPG
    383.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 104_0286.JPG
    104_0286.JPG
    362 KB · Views: 13
  • 104_0287.JPG
    104_0287.JPG
    349.3 KB · Views: 12
After 3 inches of rain fell in the last two days, we are back to sunny and warm!

I'm going to split wood tomorrow, but I only have one box left to fill, so I drug out my old **** spreader that I used all the time, back when we grew veggies for sale,

standard.jpg

Now that I no longer need the spreader for "that" purpose, I torched the beaters out of it, and will now use it for firewood! So I pulled the spreader over to a garden spot, and let all the leaves and sticks that have collected in it, empty out,

standard.jpg

Leaving that "drag chain" in, means that when I'm ready to use the dried firewood, the spreader will self unload it right by the window to my basement!
orig.gif

SR

I did some cleanup in this spot where I stacked a face cord of Beech from the last two trees, there's still more up top from the last two trees and even more left from the first five Beech I c/s.

I'll get the Birch rounds out of the area to the left of the Beech I stacked today and stack what is left of the Beech and if I have to, mix some American Hophornbeam in with it to make a full face cord.

After I get this done I'll either be s/s the Ash off the backhill or before that fell another three or four up top so I have more work ready once everything leafs out.

Attachments

• 104_0288.JPG
    104_0288.JPG
    266 KB · Views: 13
  • 104_0289.JPG
    104_0289.JPG
    314.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 104_0290.JPG
    104_0290.JPG
    327.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 104_0291.JPG
    104_0291.JPG
    371.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 104_0292.JPG
    104_0292.JPG
    325.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 104_0293.JPG
    104_0293.JPG
    329.6 KB · Views: 16
Need a bigger woodshed? Do you rotate wood into the woodshed so you’re burning from there?
The woodshed holds what I will burn in the shop stove. Lots of end cuts and blocks. The stuff outdoors I will sell in the fall and winter.

Back