potato in the tailpipe syndrome

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Check the simple stuff first...
For several weeks now I have been experiencing my stove seems to want to run in reverse when the wind is blowing pretty strong. discovered that if I keep the temp up around 300 or more, it did okay... Now, dog-gone-it, this thing worked pretty well for quite awhile. Open a window on the wind side and it works just fine. Today I decided to install a honest to gosh combustion air, and cut a hole and installed a nice hunk of 4 inch ABS pipe down to the crawl space of this shack. Lit it up, and it does seem to add air to the room, maybe problem solved...?

Well, a few minutes later I was noticing that things are trying to run in reverse even with a HOT pipe. :wtf:
So... I finally decided to trot up a ladder and remove the spark arrestor. Which was more than half plugged up by the way... Oh, I see now, The wind usually blows from one direction so that side of the arrestor is more plugged than the other side. Now, add a wind and it pushes the smoke down the stack. Quite enthusiastically I might add.

All is drafting nicely at the moment, and I will CLEAN the crap outta that spark arrestor and screw it back up there.

Check the stupid stuff first...

I really can't do that. I did run it for years without one if there is snow cover, it is fine, but a few years ago I noticed I was shooting some very impressive sparks out onto the popcorn dry grass. I started having visions of a nice fire. It's a maintenance issue, I evidently have to clean the thing...

Colorado.... Sparks.... Sounds like a potential problemo_O Where are you located in CO? Why are you getting sparks/embers out of your chimney? Not real common in most setups?

The spark arrestor screens are a joke. Burn dry nicely seasoned wood and you might get by without fouling the screen, anything less and your going to have problems in a hurry. No fun getting on a slick roof mid winter to remedy the situation ! Memories of -15F. Porch roof with a ext. ladder stretched out for the peak. Lucky to be alive after that outing! Still trying to educate that guy on well seasoned wood. I gave up. He knew everything after burning for 40 years... He finally removed his cap entirely! Lots of cap designs don't have screens. Good luck. Be safe.

Check the simple stuff first...
For several weeks now I have been experiencing my stove seems to want to run in reverse when the wind is blowing pretty strong. discovered that if I keep the temp up around 300 or more, it did okay... Now, dog-gone-it, this thing worked pretty well for quite awhile. Open a window on the wind side and it works just fine. Today I decided to install a honest to gosh combustion air, and cut a hole and installed a nice hunk of 4 inch ABS pipe down to the crawl space of this shack. Lit it up, and it does seem to add air to the room, maybe problem solved...?

Well, a few minutes later I was noticing that things are trying to run in reverse even with a HOT pipe. :wtf:
So... I finally decided to trot up a ladder and remove the spark arrestor. Which was more than half plugged up by the way... Oh, I see now, The wind usually blows from one direction so that side of the arrestor is more plugged than the other side. Now, add a wind and it pushes the smoke down the stack. Quite enthusiastically I might add.

All is drafting nicely at the moment, and I will CLEAN the crap outta that spark arrestor and screw it back up there.

Check the stupid stuff first...

I’m pretty sure your supposed to put a back draft preventer to keep the fire blowing into your external draft pipe. It will keep the air going only one direction.

I had the screen plug on mine as well. I had replaced it with hardware store mesh cut to size, since I bought used pipe and the old mesh was falling apart.

I came home from thanksgiving dinner last year to 2 CO detectors going off. After airing out the house as much as I could, I took the CO detectors both up to my bedroom and slept with the window part way open. I found the screen plugged the next day. I removed it (permanently) and cleaned out the pipe.

This year, I've already had the cap opening plugging up to where I was getting smoke back out the door as I was loading it, with a hot pipe. After last years experience I immediately knew to look for the clog.

Back