Potato patch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amberg

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This is my little tater patch, most of them have pushed through. Need to cultivate them soon.

Attachments

• garden 001.JPG
    garden 001.JPG
    960 KB · Views: 48
A shot looking north. Notice all the cow tracks.

Attachments

• garden 002.JPG
    garden 002.JPG
    828 KB · Views: 29
This is my little tater patch, most of them have pushed through. Need to cultivate them soon.

That ain't a little patch. Here's mine. The two rows on the left are stunted because I ran out of bedsheets to cover them with during our last unexpected April 9th freeze.

002.JPG

They look pretty good to me. Are those cabbage plants there to the right?

They look pretty good to me. Are those cabbage plants there to the right?

cabbage and broccoli. I'm not planting much cabbage this spring because I've still got a lot of kraut left over from last fall's cabbage. I tried a new variety of broccoli called "baby broccoli" and it's not done well, it started blooming way too early in relation to the size of the plants, and all I've got with it is a bunch of yellow flowers. I'm gonna till those in and put something else in there.

You guys stop showin' off. Trees up here have just started to break buds. Snowed 2 days ago. Soil temp is barely 40* - hits 50* on a sunny day, occasionally.

Feels like that down here today to, Temps. in the low 50's and 4 days of rain, we are drenched!

The water has run off now, I hope they don't rot in the ground.

Attachments

• 2007-01-02 001 004.JPG
    2007-01-02 001 004.JPG
    896.1 KB · Views: 16
I usually plant a short row of katahdin or Kennebec just for fries. I am thinking this year to do irish cobbler or red Pontiac. Still have plenty of time to decide.

I planted a big bunch of blue gooses this year. These are blue potatoes, blue inside and out. They are good either baked or boiled, similar to Kennebecs. I may try making fries out of them and see what happens.

The water has run off now, I hope they don't rot in the ground.

I've had problems with rotting in the past from too much rain right after planting. If I cut my seed potatoes into smaller chunks for planting, I spread them out on newspaper and let the cut surfaces form a hard "skin" on them first before planting. Takes a few days for that skin to form. Once the plant is up and growing, I don't think there is as much of a problem with rot happening.

cw, I hope you are right. It is STILL raining here, Don't think we have had 4 days in the last 4 weeks with out some rain.

One the potato plant has sprouted out a bunch of big leaves, it's also sprouting a lot of roots going into the soil. So if the seed part of the potato rots a bit, the roots will take up the slack as far as getting nutrients to upper part of the plant. That's my theory anyhow.

Might be drier in seattle, Misting here now, and more rain coming tomorrow. I should have at least one patch of sweet corn up by now, And I have not even been able to get the planter in the field yet. If my new camera comes today I will try to get some pictures of the patches.

I planted a big bunch of blue gooses this year. These are blue potatoes, blue inside and out. They are good either baked or boiled, similar to Kennebecs. I may try making fries out of them and see what happens.

I have never grown blue gooses but I have done a variety call “all blue”. They turned out to be a very starchy potato. They were good baked. If you boiled them the blue color would fade but they still made an interesting color for Thanksgiving mashed potatoes. The feed store has Purple Peruvian Fingerlings which look pretty cool. I might try a couple along with the Kennebec’s. Our season is way behind this year. I just had my first serving of asparagus last night almost a full month behind last year. I grow purple passion and Jersey. Steamed 2 min, top with butter and trocomare. Cannot beat fresh asparagus with a stick.

Might be drier in seattle, Misting here now, and more rain coming tomorrow. I should have at least one patch of sweet corn up by now, And I have not even been able to get the planter in the field yet. If my new camera comes today I will try to get some pictures of the patches.

let me rephrase that: 'where are you?...soggyville".... ?

Used baby today to cultivate the taters in the mud, They say more rain next two more days.

Attachments

• 2016-05-16 002 012.JPG
    2016-05-16 002 012.JPG
    654.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 2016-05-16 002 008.JPG
    2016-05-16 002 008.JPG
    638.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 2016-05-16 002 011.JPG
    2016-05-16 002 011.JPG
    567.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 2016-05-14 001 010.JPG
    2016-05-14 001 010.JPG