Poulan 2150 Wont Start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before you take everything apart, you should do a pressure test on the crankcase to see if the seals need replacing. Do a search on this forum, there is a lot of info on how to do the test. I doubt the seals need to be replaced, these saws when running lean usually don't last long enough to wear out the seals. I have rebuilt a number of them and have never found any that needed new seals.

Before you take everything apart, you should do a pressure test on the crankcase to see if the seals need replacing. Do a search on this forum, there is a lot of info on how to do the test. I doubt the seals need to be replaced, these saws when running lean usually don't last long enough to wear out the seals. I have rebuilt a number of them and have never found any that needed new seals.

I was thinking that exactly, seems people put them away to rot the fuel lines & carb before the seals get worn out.

Hello and thanks for your reply. Yes, hopefully I don’t need to take the saw aparts any further than necessary. I mean if this is what it takes I will, but for a saw that has only seen a hour or so usuage each year since purchased new by my father initially , I would hope the seals to still be good. I will use the sealant on cylinder to block if this is recommended.

Mike

Unfortunately, you will have to take the saw completely apart to change the cylinder and piston. These saws are what is known as a clam shell design as the cylinder and top half of the crankcase are one piece. There are 4 bolts from the bottom that hold the two halves of the crankcase together and mount the engine in the plastic case. To make it easy to work on you pretty much have to remove front handle, clutch, oil pump and flywheel. Not much left. Don't get discouraged, it's just a lot of parts. If you do proceed, there should be an arrow on the top of the piston that points to the exhaust port. If not, the ends of the rings always go to the intake side of the cylinder.

Geesh! I guess I should have looked closer, didn’t realize that so much disassembly/reassembly is required. I’m more familiar with moped and small motorcycle engines of the past. These used 4 long stud bolts that held the clylinder/head on, and nuts could be removed all the top, and cylinder slid up and off, or 4 bolts or nuts and bottom flage of cylinder, if my memory serves me correctly?
Are there any special tools I will need? I do have a impact screwdriver if needed.
Thanks again.

Mike

Hello and thanks for your reply. Yes, hopefully I don’t need to take the saw aparts any further than necessary. I mean if this is what it takes I will, but for a saw that has only seen a hour or so usuage each year since purchased new by my father initially , I would hope the seals to still be good. I will use the sealant on cylinder to block if this is recommended.

Mike

Can you tell me how to identify what Type 2150 I have, 1-7 type and which seals should be replaced if pressure test fails. I’ve included a link to a pdf download exploded parts diagram of this model. I cant tell if there is two crankshaft seals and two bearings (both sides) , or 2 bearing (both sides) and 1 seal (one side only) that would be
replaced ?
Thanks again my friend. :cheers:
https://www.ereplacementparts.com/poulan-2150-type-gas-chainsaw-parts-c-16962_17147_17214.html

Can you tell me how to identify what Type 2150 I have, 1-7 type and which seals should be replaced if pressure test fails. I’ve included a link to a pdf download exploded parts diagram of this model. I cant tell if there is two crankshaft seals and two bearings (both sides) , or 2 bearing (both sides) and 1 seal (one side only) that would be
replaced ?
https://www.ereplacementparts.com/poulan-2150-type-gas-chainsaw-parts-c-16962_17147_17214.html

Page B, part B-29 is both bearing and seal. 1 set for each side.

replaced ?

The type number is on the identification decal . It will be the dash number after the serial number .

These saws have a complex seal as it wraps around the bearing and has to seal the outer surface of the bearing to the split crankcase as well as to the crankshaft. I don't think you can buy the seals alone, but are sold as a bearing-seal combo so you would have to pull the bearings off the crankshaft and press the new ones on.

Latest posts

Back