Poulan 245a 306a differences??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
does anyone know if you can put a tank from a 245 onto a 306a?

Yes you can but you'll want to change the air filter cover also because it is taller to. Also want to change the handle bar. The saws are the same except for these 3 parts and the P/C and mufflers. All ignition parts will change also.

306-59cc, 245-73.?cc (can't remember what 245 is exactly, I know it's 73. something)

They shared the 306A's later 2 tin mufflers. I don't think the 245 ever had a cast aluminum muffler but I'm not certain on it. The earlier model 4.5 ci saw did use the cast muffler though.

The connecting rod is also different with the 245 using a larger wrist pin.

I believe the handle bar is different on the 245. I have not seen any differernce in the ignition systems between the two unless one is old enough to have points.

They shared the 306A's later 2 tin mufflers. I don't think the 245 ever had a cast aluminum muffler but I'm not certain on it. The earlier model 4.5 ci saw did use the cast muffler though.

The connecting rod is also different with the 245 using a larger wrist pin.

I forgot all about the wrist pin Mark.

All the 306 tin mufflers always seemed to have a smaller exit than a 245 but I never gave it a whole lot of thought.

I've often thought about putting the 306 cast muffler on a 245 to see what that thing would sound like if it would fit.:monkey:

I believe the handle bar is different on the 245. I have not seen any differernce in the ignition systems between the two unless one is old enough to have points.

You are correct on the handle bar as Greg has mentioned.

Ahh. So to swap ends, you'd need the rod from the donor saw as well. I thought you could just swap P&Cs. Thanks for the heads up.

If your considering this conversion on a 306 beware that the very early 306's had a lighter built crankshaft that I would not trust with a 4.5ci top end on it.

I forgot all about the wrist pin Mark.

All the 306 tin mufflers always seemed to have a smaller exit than a 245 but I never gave it a whole lot of thought.

I've often thought about putting the 306 cast muffler on a 245 to see what that thing would sound like if it would fit.:monkey:

Nope tin mufflers the same. Yes the cast muffler will fit and sound mostly like a 306! In fact the earlier 200 series 4.5ci saws like the 220-223 came with that cast muffler and they can be mistaken for a 245.

cool!

finally got the search thing to pull some stuff up! so the 245 is a better saw kinda like the s25da compared to the 2.1 built a lil bit better???

Back