Poulan 306

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasonrkba

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Picked one up in a lot I purchased today. Any opinions from someone with experience using one? Paid $60 for the lot. Really just wanted the 306.

Attachments

• 6ba518be3a274258b7b1faeb7f02c82a.jpg
    6ba518be3a274258b7b1faeb7f02c82a.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 17
60cc of 10k RPM WOT, but super torque that will pull all day and rattle your teeth. I've got its big brother, the 245. Same bottom end, different slug and jug (think MS650/660).

Replacement parts are available around the internet, but crank seals can be difficult to find. One side (the flywheel IIRC) is a standard size and still in production. The other side however is an odd combination of dimensions and is no longer made. They are out there though.

When I did the rebuild on mine, I dumped the obsolete points ignition and put in one of those Oregon solid state modules.

The carb has a mechanical governor built into it. It's actually pretty neat considering it was designed in the late 60s/early 70s. When it senses a particular vibration, it opens some ports and dumps fuel into the intake, dropping the RPMs. When you tune it, start with the high end VERY rich, and work your way into the 2-stroke note. It is easy to confuse the 4-stroke note with the governor kicking in.

As for mix, I'm running mine at 32:1.

Also, Oregon did make a rim & drum for the 306/245. It is now obsolete as well, but again, look around because they are out there.

I don't think it comes off. I don't recall seeing anywhere that a wrench would grab. I suspect it's a press fit. The other side of that nipple has another nipple inside the fuel tank. I suspect the only way to change the line in the tank is to open the tank.

You need 2 different size pieces of tubing - 1 size for inside the tank, and another for that short run from the tank to the carb.

I started pulling it apart today. Here is a good lesson to all about the importance of cleaning behind the flywheel. I learned this from some helpful folks on the Homelite site. There is no way the manual oiler was functional.

Attachments

• KIMG0655.jpg
    KIMG0655.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 11
  • KIMG0656.jpg
    KIMG0656.jpg
    382.7 KB · Views: 9
Seems like you got a good deal for those 3. Especially if the red craftsman is a 2.3. I like em.

The poulan 2775 needed a good cleaning, fuel line and carb kit. I opened up the exhaust while I was at it. It runs great and will be my new loaner. The red craftsman is a 2.1, figure thats the one I'll flip. Cleaning the 306 is a two day job. One of the seals are going to be difficult to locate. #1936

Back