Poulan 4218 A041 to K095 conversion?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yannick Evenas

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a Poulan Pro 4218 and I would like to use a larger bar for temporary milling.
Right now the 18" bar mills just fine but I have a bigger tree that fell and I wold like to mill it.
So I've learned a lot lately trying to look for a solution.
I can't find a 20" bar in A041.
I read that I could use a K041 and file a bigger oil hole but I can't find a bar in K041 either.
I also ran into a thread talking about going from K041 to K095 was not a problem, so, should I deduct that I could go from A041 to K095 with the proper oil hole mod?

I own that saw and suggest you consider an alternative solution. I personally like mine but will be the first to admit they are cheap. It sounds like you're spending a great deal of time and potentially money on a saw from which you won't be able to get much more out of. It's a good little saw, in my opinion, for what it is--a nice occasional use homeowner saw. Changing bar mounts, for example, sounds a bit excessive for that machine. In my opinion.

Is there a 3/8LP bar available in 20"?? Don't know if that's available!

Look up "pp4620". The bar is a 20" Poulan mount, but it's 0.325 chain, not 3/8LP. Then you need to get a new sprocket to fit the new chain pitch. The mounting (and oil) holes on a K095 bar are bigger and need to be elongated up to match the oiler slot. Again, it's 0.325 pitch.

If your saw has the sprocket teeth on top (inboard clutch), then you may not be able to find a .325 sprocket to fit. HOWEVER, if the teeth are INSIDE (outboard clutch), the PP4620 or Partner 350 drum will fit. You may also need a new drum bearing, as it may be a different size.

Look up the parts lists for your saw, and the PP4620 (also Poulan 2775, PP295). Compare the pictures and part numbers. You need to play the mix and match game, and hope the combination works!

In the end, I agree with Softdraw...it's a lot of stuff to digest, experiment, and purchase. A 20" bar on this 42cc saw is a bit underpowered and will struggle (aka slow down a LOT and stall) if you are trying to mill. Better to get a bigger saw (at least 50cc and up, with those big fancy name tags!) if you seriously intend to do some milling with it.

Having that 2nd BIG saw that pulls you into the wood and cuts faster is a nice feature

Welcome to the site!

The oil and adjuster holes are the same for the 041 Oregon mount the difference is that with the A tail the bar extends rearward getting smaller another 3/8 to 1/4 inch. The oil hole mod you speak of does not make sense. If you are still around.

There are combination mount for 041, 095 and Sthil 3005 which I think is Oregon 074. The A vs K tail is more the A is for smaller drive sprockets like the 6 tooth 3/8lp. Not a bad idea to block off some of the openings with stick epoxy.

What chain are we talking here? 3/8lp, .325Nk etc?

Back