Poulan 4400

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelchm

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Picked up this Poulan Counter Vibe 4400 the other night -- $130 with an extra bar and two chains with plenty of life left. It's in extremely nice shape for it's age and I get the impression that it's never been used very hard. According the owner it's never even had any dogs installed on it.

It fires up very easily, but does have a fuel leak and seems a bit lazy when blipping the throttle. I have next to zero experience with small engines and carburetors, so I'm hoping this saw will provide a good learning opportunity for me.

After I go over the entire saw and get it tuned up, I'm hoping to use it for milling some (dying) ash trees that I will be taking down on my property this year. I know this maybe isn't the most ideal saw to use for milling and something bigger would make quicker work of it, but I really wanted to stick to a budget and have a milling setup all in under $400.

EDIT: Any recommendations on resources to help me through going over the saw? Also, any recommendations on where to order a ripping chain?

We have found that semi-chisel chain, which is far easier to find, works about the same as ripping chain for most hardwoods. Since you are on a budget, try Archer semi-chisel chain. We have had no trouble with it and have used it with an Alaskan Saw Mill, a 32" bar and a Makita 6421:
Ripping Ash1.jpg

This saw is at least 30 years old or more but was well-made in its day. Your fuel leak might be from a worn out O-ring underneath the fuel cap. They don't last forever. It's easy to replace. The lazy hesitation could be from a slightly clogged fuel filter.

Cosmetically, this saw looks almost spotless. Steve could restore it faster than you could say Sidewall.

If this is a vintage chainsaw in good shape, why not just sell it to a collector and make some money on it.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/clean-poulan-4400-w-b-c.319888/

Then take the money and buy something more current. If you want cheap milling, just get a huztl.

https://www.huztl.net/

Building a kit is a good way to learn about chainsaws or get one already assembled for more.
I don't feel like it's worth my time or effort to try and resell it. Is it really such a bad idea to tune it up and just use it? I'm not looking to mill a ton of lumber and that's part of the reason I'm holding myself to a budget.

Thanks for the Hutzl link -- I've never seen the Hutzl kits before. That is a really interesting option and I'll definitely be picking one up to build in the future.

This saw is at least 30 years old or more but was well-made in its day. Your fuel leak might be from a worn out O-ring underneath the fuel cap. They don't last forever. It's easy to replace. The lazy hesitation could be from a slightly clogged fuel filter.

Cosmetically, this saw looks almost spotless. Steve could restore it faster than you could say Sidewall.
It is a little bit rougher than rougher than the picture implies with some scraped paint on the bottom/front that isn't visible.

Thanks for the tips on the fuel cap seal and fuel filter.

Latest posts

Back