Poulan Chain Saw Carburetor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rudywilliamson

Reaction score
My Poulan chain saw will run only if I pour gas or starter fluid in the carburetor - when that is used then the saw shuts off. I have replaced the fuel line which was cracked but I don't know much about carburetors. Can anyone help?
Thank you

What model Poulan is it? You can order a carb rebuild kit from any dealer. It probably has a Walbro carb but you need to get the part number off it. They are pretty easy to rebuild

Tell us the actual model of the saw and we can then tell you the part number of the carburetor kit you will need to do an overhaul.

Howdy,

If you found a cracked fuel line, the odds are quite good that there is debris in the inlet screen of the carburetor as well. If gas had been left in the unit, the carburetor may need a though cleanning internally and possibly new diaphrams.

Assuming you can now draw fuel up to the carburetor connection end of the fuel line, next you need to start on the carburetor itself.

Are you sure the impluse line is good, if there is an external one on your machine? (Not to be confused with the fuel line). Also, when you remove the carburetor, be sure to check for a leaking boot between the carburetor and the cylinder, if a boot is present. Otherwise, there will be an insulator block. You want to inspect for cracks or leaks here, or that could be your problem!

When you start into the Carb. it's best to have a complete repair kit for the model in hand. They only cost around $10 or so. If you need help on procedure for the carb work get back to me. You need a clean place to work, (and not loose small parts) and a can of choke/carb cleanner from the auto parts house.

Regards,
Walt Galer

Before you do anything, I would back both the high and low
screws off 2 full turns then try to start, and see what happens.
Next I would check the impulse line if it has one, as this is a
common problem on the newer Electrolux saws. If you take
apart the carb, I would clean it out and reassemble with the
old gaskets and diaphragms if they looked good. Post your
saws model number and I could be more specific. You don't
need to waste a lot of cash on this if you don't need to.
Fish

Back