Poulan chainsaw running in reverse

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorrie

Reaction score
My chainsaw Poulan 255 (?) (okay I'm doing this for my husband) starts at full throttle then when he hits the throttle it dies out. He has been all through the thing and can't find the problem. It's almost new. Any ideas. Appreciate your help

To tell you the truth,and I'm no mechanic,but if you have a boat then your in luck.Take it and use for the anchor!:D But hey it's only an idea.Save yourself and your husband from this green thing.If you take it to the mechanic once$,twice$$,it will eat your cash up.Just like the cookie monster.

the choke is not on ? If not have him snug not tight, the low speed screw clockwise. Then back off counterclock wise 7/8
to 1 complete rotation & see what happens.If thats does nothing sounds like a major air leak.& yes thats just my oppinion. Im not a mechanic, I just play one on the internet.

If the saw is warmed up AND the choke is off, and the saw kills when the throttle is opened, it sounds like you need to open up the low speed jet on the carburetor a little bit. The low jet is the one that is closer to the crankcase on the side of the carb. Open the jet just a little bit and try to pop the throttle. Do this, a little at a time, until it goes from idle to full tilt without a burp or stall. When I adjust the carb, I make adjustmentsin increments equal to the width of the slot in the adjusting screw.

If this does not work, bring the saw to a repair shop.

Tom

This saw is a missing hand waiting to happen. It most certainly has an air leak in the crankcase and/or carb, and by the time you spend the money getting all new seals then you could have a new mean green machine! Did your hubby have this saw sitting in the garage for three years and then fire her up or has he been using it all along and this sprung up. If it sat then the seals are shot for sure. If his birthday is coming up buy him a Husqvarna 55 and he will never go back to green! :bday:

It could just be a simple vacume hose off at the carb!!!!!!!!
I just dont understand Did not the dealer set up the saw for you ? As in fuel & oil & run it prior to taking it home.

Poulan saw

I have had a simular problem with different models of Poulan saws. It sounds like there may be debris keeping the butterfly valve not sealing when closed. Remove the carb and check the metal flap under it. I usually take a air hose and Blow it out good. If that is the problem it should start and run. If it continues with the symptions
you described it isn't the butterfly valve.

Latest posts

Back